Help me with "Low Inpact Step"

Davidj

Cathlete
I need help with "Low Impact Step" -- a DVD I just bought from Cathe. I have have a good number of basic step tapes, and I know all of the steps done while facing the TV, but I certainly have trouble with more complicated patterns. I have good stamina, but I have the grace and agility of an American buffalo.

The anxiety I have is that this video is rated "beginner/intermediate" -- and I take it it is a lead-up to Cathe's more advanced step videos.

I actually got through the "step insoles and straddles around the world" -- again, with the agility of a buffalo -- but more often than not I would land on a foot the exact opposite of Cathe's crew. Any help? I commit to doing this video once a week (Wednesday) untill I get it right. I was thinking of stopping the DVD after seeing a complicated sequence -- and trying to do it on my own.

One person somewhere else yesterday metioned the anger of flubbing a step video. I have that same anger to myself.
-- David

Just keep trying. Do one segment at a time till you get it right. Like you said, pause and rewind if you have to. Anytime you get a new step routine there is usually a little bit of a learning curve. You'll get it right!

Learning a new step video

I find learning a new step video frustrating at times also! Some of the things I have tried are: Try a small amount daily instead of weekly. I try the first 15 minutes of the video, then do the rest of my workout with something I know. Each day you can add another 5 minutes. Another thing I do is to forget ANY risers on my step at first. With the step flat on the floor, it is easier. I think Cathe's easiest is her Basic Step. You could try that first as Cathe's step videos repeat themselves. Once you learn one, the next will be much easier.

I would watch it a few times through if you can, just to get the terminology. i bought Body Max 2 about a month ago or so and at first I was doing the same thing, I even almost fell off the step. After watching it a few times, I got the terminology down (i.e. around the world, jsut means doing the move and straddling the step on each side) and felt more comfortable (still flubbed here and there). I specifically had a difficult time getting through the third combo, so I would play it before I began the routine and tried the moves slowly until I got it right.

good luck and never give up. If this uncoordinated gal can master body max 2, you can do it too, trust me!

I hear you on that water buffalo image - that's me!!!

I learned IMAX2 by taking one round at a time, and 'doing' it four or five times in a row, after my regular cardio. I prefer to work from back to front (last routine to first), so that when I do them in order, I'm ending strong. Also, for new steps, I like to watch some of the sections a few times, and discovered I can do that and still do a basic step or a v step. That means I can puzzle out a move whiel still keeping my HR up :)

Last edited:
At first, I usually put my step on an angle from the TV, rather than flat in front of it, that way, I can see the "backwards" and side straddling moves more easily.

I also preview the DVD once or twice. It takes me a few tries to ge the steps. If I am lost, I just continue moving, eventually I get it after few tries. Don't give up!

David your "buffalo" comment made me LOL! How cute! Anyway, you have been given excellent advice...don't give up! :)

Thanks for the advice and support...

Thanks for the advice and support. I've taken notes of this thread, and will doing this video once or twice a week on aerobics days.
-- David

I had this DVD as well (even though I already had Cathe's more advanced step workouts, I HAD to get it when it came out, LOL!). As I was doing it, I couldn't help thinking that a beginner might have some difficulty with it, because the cuing isn't necessarily that good for someone just learning. There are several moves that could be cued better by breaking down the specific sequence of steps (the only one I remember off hand is the rocking horse, which Cathe cues as being "just like riding on a rocking horse" or something similar. Um...nope, that doesn't really help).

With any new step workout, I always preview at least once, and when it comes to a segment that I think will be harder to pick up, I pay extra attention to it, and sometimes come up with my own cuing that makes more sense to me (ie: knee up, triple around is better as 'knee up, step-step, triple-triple).

Also, the choreo is based on 8-count moves, so as you watch a segment you have difficulty with, see if you can break down the sequence into its 8 counts.

Keep trying. Trust me you will get it. Break down the moves, . .pause, . . and practice, practice, practice. After a while you'll be able to step like a pro. Most of the moves are pretty similar so try to get the basics down. You can do this!!

Step Choreography

Hi -
I think all of the step routines, even the beginner ones, are complicated. I actually found it easier to learn the High Intensity step in 4DS, then the low intensity. It did take me 4 days to learn it though.

If you read my blogs, you will see that you are not alone. :)

At first, I usually put my step on an angle from the TV, rather than flat in front of it, that way, I can see the "backwards" and side straddling moves more easily.

this really helped me too. also, the suggestion of doing the workout without the risers the 1st couple of times is very helpful! as long as you stick with it, youll get it and it will come SO quickly. i remember when i 1st did this workout; i was cursing at the tv, kept rewinding it (so my workout wound up being over an hour long the 1st time!!), but eventually i got it. i found that im klutzy with all of cathe's step workouts on the 1st couple of tries, but the more you do, the more you learn and you will be a pro in no time!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.