Help me find a workout!

nancy324

Cathlete
I'm not interested in how many calories a workout burns, and I'm tired of strength training workouts that go super fast to "burn the fat". I don't need to burn 1000 calories in one workout any more than Jari Love does, so why does she torture herself and why does she want to torture me? And Chalene must have missed the scientific evidence that shows an extra pound of muscle does not burn an extra 50 calories per day. More like 5 or 10 calories per day. Even Amy Bento talks about "losing those love handles" by doing ab work. Okay, I get it. Promising weight loss sells workouts. But I just want to tone my body safely and sanely, without doing endless sets and reps. I don't care about losing weight, but I don't want to gain weight either by increasing my appetite by doing endless sets of every exercise. And I do not want to spend a lot of time. My muscles actually tone up better when I do less, rather than more. I'll save my cardio for the elliptical, thank you very much.

Apologies for the rant. So, any workout ideas for me? Please?

Last edited:
Nancy, I'm right there with you. (Except for the "don't need to lose weight part" - I'm more in the "losing weight not really a priority any more and even if it were, intense cardio and heavy weights never did the trick anyhow" camp.) Anyhow, I also do not want to do super intense workouts anymore, I've lost my desire to prove I can get through them and I feel better overall with more moderate workouts.

I'm loving lots of the newer Firms (45 minutes, light weights), the Ellen Barrett Slim Sculpt and Fat Burning Fusion, and Anni Mairs' Jump Force and Life Force, which are circuit workouts.

I also like very much Slim Series and some of the newer Denise Austin dvds, but as you know those instructors are in the love-'em-or-hate-'em category. But if you like the instructors they are great.

Well, if you don't want to do a lot of reps or spend a lot time, you should try Chalean Extreme (and ignore her 50 cals/day claims). The weight workouts feature 9 exercises per workout. You do 10-12 reps per exercise in month 1, 6-8 reps in month 2, 10-12 reps in month 3. You do them slowly and you use heavier weights. (I'm in month 2 and using 77 lbs total for the squats.) She works the lower body in each weight workout plus a couple of upper body parts. If you don't like the combination moves she does in Phases 1 & 3, just separate them.

I love the slow pace because I'm really feeling it in the muscle I'm supposed to be working (glutes for squats, not my quads).

If you want a less expensive set, you might consider Amy's Slo Mo challenge and just do 1 set of each exercise (12 reps/set)

HTH!

I'd check out Kelly Coffey Meyers 30 Minute to Fitness Weights. 30 minutes, the pace is not hurried, it'd divided into 2 30 minute workouts.

I agree with Chalean Extreme and Kelly Coffey-Meyers.
I just purchased KCM 30 minutes to kickboxing. I haven't done it yet, but it looks like fun:cool: I like that I have the choice of a 30 or 60 minutes.

I have to vote for 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels! I've done Level 1 for 10 days and I'm currently on Level 2. It's a 20 minute butt kicker, but it goes by fast, the reps are not endless, AND.... my arms are so tone, my legs are stronger and my waistline is slimmer! (I do mix some Cathe cardio in with it too) I have to give this workout 5 stars. I was skeptical at first, but the proof is in the pudding!! (Is that the saying?) :)

Thanks guys! Jonahnah, I remember the combination moves from the old Firm days. How much time do you spend on each workout for CLX? As in: how much time each day?

Stacy, Fit44, and LL, thanks! Can't wait to check out clips of KCM and JM on Collage.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Jonahnah, I remember the combination moves from the old Firm days. How much time do you spend on each workout for CLX? As in: how much time each day?

Stacy, Fit44, and LL, thanks! Can't wait to check out clips of KCM and JM on Collage.

The weight workouts in Phase 1 are 36 min, 38 min, 32 min. In Phase 2, the weight workouts are 32, 35, 34 min. In Phase 3, they are 44, 39, 38.

The times include warm up and cool down. I will say her cool downs are VERY short (typically 2-1/2 min) so if you like more a stretch, you will need add some additional time there. As someone who always skipped cooldowns (I know, shame on me!), I actually do these because they are so quick. :p

I really dislikes split routines and can't handle long total body workouts. I like that CLX has me finally working my UB consistently. Consequently, I'm seeing some nice shoulder, bicep and tricep development. (Okay, my arms aren't GUNS yet, but they are looking way better! :D)

One other alternative for a short total body routine is KCM's NYC. She alternates LB and UB moves so you get a nice cardio effect while doing a weight workout. If you skip the abs, I think it's less than 45 min.

HTH and good luck choosing!

Another vote for KCM. I like both 30 minutes to fitness weights and her NYC (low weight workout) for resistance training.

From Cathe, my picks are Push/Pull and Supersets.

Well, if you don't want to do a lot of reps or spend a lot time, you should try Chalean Extreme (and ignore her 50 cals/day claims).

I love the slow pace because I'm really feeling it in the muscle I'm supposed to be working (glutes for squats, not my quads).
Ditto.
It's the first thing that came to mind when I read your post, Nancy.

yoga today dot com

I don't work for them or anything. I do tend to go on about them too. But, I find that the advanced or intermediate yoga workouts do the best for my muscles and also interval running or elliptical. It seems to take both for my body to change. They are on the web and the cool part is it is free. My best suggestion is pick one of the workouts and watch it onto your lap top.

Thanks for your input, Vee. I viewed the KCM clip on Collage, and my lower back hurt just watching her fling those dumbbells around. I forgot to mention that I favor floor work for back moves. I can't do deadlifts or one-arm rows, but I make up for it with floor work equivalents. Sheesh, I sure am asking for a lot here! :eek:

Nance what about those non-Firm Firm workouts? I can't remember the name of them; I'll go find them and post a link. Knowing you, I think you would absolutely ***hate*** KCM and her workouts. (for what it's worth)

BB with a link. You might already have them though?

http://www.tracielongtraining.com/
I don't think this is what you're looking for but .02 anyway. ;) I'll keep thinking!!

Last edited:
Thanks, Ame. I'm checking out all of your suggestions and yes, I do have Netflix, so I will check there too.

I like Netflix because I can do the entire workout if I want to, rather than the short Collage clips.

Then again, thank goodness for the Collage clips!!! Love those!! ;)

Funny you brought up this question cause I have recently started the leg lifting videos again. The 10 min solution tummy tuck and pilates videos are good (except the music) Kari Anderson's Reach and Angles Lines and Curves are my all time favorites. Bryan Kest Power Yoga, Fynn, Baptiste, all good. Liking Squeeze too. Feel not so exhausted after and don't eat as much. Also Hot Yoga at the studio is oh so good!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.