Help me figure out what is my bodytype, please.

Mariela

Cathlete
I have read enough information on bodytypes but still have trouble figuring out which bodytype I have. Please, help me with this, so I can choose the program that best suits my needs. Here is a description of my body:

weight: 107 lbs
height: 5'1" (petite)
measurements: from shoulder to shoulder: 38"
chest: 33"
waist: 25"
hips: 35"
wrists: 5.5" (very small)
neck: 13"

(I know, I know, sounds like an ectomorph, but...)

1. My legs are NOT long.

2. My arms look slightly big in proportion to my lower body, maybe due to the fact that I am petite. (When I was taking prenatal classes, when I was pregnant, a nurse told me that I have a "boy built body", and thus, I wasn't going to have trouble having the measurements for giving birth.)

3. My neck is not long.

4. I DON'T have trouble putting on weight.

Mariela, it's not an exact science. The categories are general and you might have characteristics of two types. I am an ectomorph but I am an apple and I have belly fat that is very un-ectmoporphic, if you ask me. I can gain weight as well as anyone if I don't workout and eat carefully. But otherwise ectomorphic describes me rather well. Do you think it is imortant to know your body type in order to put together a program?

Bobbi http://www.plauder-smilies.de/chicken.gif Chicks Rule!

hi mariela
i am petite to i am only 5ft.
i weigh 129 pounds i am small boned
i can get my hand around my ancle,
i dont know how old you are but i am 49
i have just lost 35 pounds and i still want to
loose 15 more i am not skinny as some people are saying
i hate the word skinny, i am very muscular i think i
am an apple shaped i carry my weight through the middle
so i have to watch what i eat. why is it that some
people think that when youre a certain age you cannot
weigh a certain weigh, i feel great and am in really
good shape, i dont understand.
paula

Thank you for replying. That is the problem. I am not sure if I build muscle easily because I have been exercising for eight months (since my second delivery) but NOT CONSISTENTLY and I have been lifting (free weights) only about 10 pounds for arms and 15 for legs, for about two months. I have noticed some gains, and others too, but I still don't have a clear idea of what means "to build muscle quickly" or to be "a hard gainer". (At first, of course, my goal was to get rid of the weight that I gained in my pregnancy but that goal changed in four months.)

Oh, I am sorry, Bobbi. The previous reply was for Stebbi.

Thank you for your reply. Maybe you are right. Maybe it is not so important for putting together a program, but I have read that each body type should train different. :-rollen

Gotcha! I have a sister and her shoulders and biceps are so cut it makes me sick! I on the other hand, am toned and have some definition but not like hers. In that sense, I am definintely an ectomorph. If you are consistant, you will definitely get muscle definition even if no one thinks you look like Arnold! Consistancy, intensity and variety make a huge difference. I know that it's recommended that hard gainers train heavy and I do occasionally, but I really like variety so I change my workouts very frequently. I did Cathe's SH for 3 weeks and it worked really well but that kind of training is hard! I needed a break after 3 weeks.I have never done a six week rotation of a single workout or group of workouts. I think that would bore me to death. That's simply how it suits me personality-wise. I have added Yoga to my workout schedule and am adding Pilates as soon as the UPS guy gets here:) So, you should try heavy training but do different types to find what you like. I think finding workouts you love to do is more important than sticking with a formula that puts on muscle.

The most important thing is to get a workout done. Sometimes train heavy with fewer reps; sometimes train lightly with more reps. Find what motivates you to get each part worked out once or twice a week. The muscle will respond. I have no doubt about it! What is your current training schedule?

I am currently experimenting with different routines each week to see what works for me in terms of schedule. This week I am working with elastic bands to get used to them before I travel in March 20. This week -and for the 30 days that I am going to be in Puerto Rico- I have this plan:

Mondays and Fridays - upper body, abs
wednesdays- lower body, abs
Tuesday, Thursdays, Saturdays- cardio

When I come back I plan to buy some Cathe videos. I am thinking of S$H because the title suggets muscle gains.

Okay, maybe you find that I don't really have a reason to ask for help, but maybe it's because I have bipolar disorder and OCD, so too many options are confusing and overwhelming for me. I spend hours creating and re-creating schedules and programs, maybe compulsively. :-rollen (Don't worry. Just some feedback.:D)

Mariela, I think it is great to ask for help and Cathe.com is the place to get all sorts of ideas! It's just hard to put things together without getting to know a little about you! And I understand compulsive disorders amazingly well too. I have experienced depression and anorexia and come out on the other side. One of my sisters (I have 9) has bi-polar affective disorder but she is also addicted to pain killers so it has been hard for her to treat her bi polarism. My heart goes out to you but I am confident you have things in pretty good order and I am sure exercise will be very benficial to you!
I think you will love Slow and Heavy and it is definitely one to help slow gainers see results. I also highly recommend the Cross Train Express because it is so beautifully put together and it gives so many options. I like to train one body part per day sometimes so I can focus in on it and really work it well. Cross Train Express is formatted that way and Slow and Heavy is easy to break down also. Your plan looks good.
Work on your consistancy and the skies the limit! And rememeber to have fun! Puerto Rico sounds like fun, real fun not workout which is fun and work! Have a great trip!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.