help for eating disorder recovery

rachsal13

Dear Cathe,

I have struggled for a long time with anorexia. I am now trying to gain weight back in a healthy way-to build back a healthy body. I know that due to the illness, much of the weight I lost was muscle mass, so when I gain it back, I'd like to gain muscle back as well as the fat I need. I really want to develop a healthy exercise program suited for my goals, and it's very difficult to do that with all the media in society today. You seem to have such a healthy, educated view, and it really inspired me to seek your help. I was wondering if you could recommend for me the videos I should buy to help me achieve my goals, and possibly give me guidance on how often i should do them (strength and cardio) during the week. You have no idea how much I would appreciate it. I live in an area where it's hard to find any good trainers, so your help would be invaluable. Thank you so very much for your time.

Wow........ You have walked along a hard road. Sounds like you are on the right path now. I know that exercise has helped me tremendously. If you are new to exercise Cathe's beginner tapes are fabulous. My daughter is working out to Cathe's double header rotation (in the rotation forum) and is really loving it and seeing some nice results.

Just remember....one day at a time. Sometimes we take a step back to move forward a couple of paces.........so one day at a time...one meal at a time. You can manage this and have a healthy, wonderful body that you love. Be proud because you have already taken one of the hardest steps and that is recognizing that you have a problem.

Have faith and always believe in yourself!!!!!:)

KarenL

Wow...how wonderful of you to feel such trust in Cathe and the rest of us to share your recovery story with us. I am in awe of your recovery and hope you continue to find the courage to move forward.

Obviously, I am not Cathe and don't have one iota of her knowledge and education. However, my first thought on this as part of your recovery is to begin gently. IMHO, the weight section of Get In Shape For Your Wedding would be a really nice place to begin. The first part of the step aerobic section might be fun to do. The second section will bust your butt so proceed slowly.

Also, Cathe has some new tapes out that are geared for people begining a program using Cathe's style and steps.

Please let us know how you are doing...I hope Cathe has some more to add for you. In the meantime, you already rock!

Hello,

I'm not Cathe either, but I do have a Ph. D. in clinical psychology and am currently treating eating disorders. My first comment is that your email suggests a healthy level of concern about doing this a "healthy" way - please continue to listen to that part of you that is still aware of how tenuous the recovery process can be. Exercise is so healthy, but for those with a tendency towards eating disorders, it can become another method of attempting to become "perfect" and control things in our lives.

I think starting a weights program would be an excellent start. Not only does it build healthy tissue for our bodies, many women find it such a confidence booster! (much more than cardio). Plus, cardio is more clearly linked with weight loss and therefore might require more care (if you do it, especially Cathe's, you need to adjust your calories upward to account for the intensity). The confidence conferred by weight-training however factors in nicely to a recovery program and is likely to give you a healthy view of what your body is capable of when you nourish it and take care of it...

Good luck and I admire your openness in this forum and the fact that you're seeking assistance in approaching exercise in a healthy way...

Hi, Rachsal. I want to wish you luck too and tell you that developing an exercise program is an amazing tool for recovery from eating disorders. I found that it helped me develop a healthy body image and body confidence that lent itself so beautifully to taking charge of my eating and learning to eat in a way that complimented my activity level, knowing to be strong and energetic enough to be able to run and step and lift was part and parcel to those wonderful benefits of exercise. And wow! What an amazing thing it was to get to become strong and lean while ejoying the calm and confidence that exercise elicits. It just makes you want to go that extra mile and eat to live a healthy lifestyle. Cathe and the many Cathites who have been down the path you are on may never know how they have helped and healed and enabled me to get here but you have come to the right place! I laugh to myself and am so delighted when people assume that being a fitnut in love with exercise and proper nutriton has always been so for me because if they realized where I started they'd be shocked. The beautiful thing is, you can take control of your eating and start over and eating and eating well becomes just a natural part of each day. That's another reason to smile, that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step and while the path continues, the pain and disordered thinking fades away and gives way to new ways that let you embrace your life with joy and get on with it. I wish you great sucess on your path! If I can help in any way it would be an honor to do so. Are you receiving couselling? One of the best ways is to work with professionals to learn all the ins and outs of exercise and nutrition for strength and endurance. I personally took up running and, subsequently, a bit of racing and I loved it! The internet is a great resource and here, oh my, you will find so much information, knowledge and a lot of warmth and love to go with it. You go, girl!
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

- Mary Oliver

During my recover, I had to learn to exercise a little LESS. I would not eat and then I would workout TOO much.

I think that anyone in this situation needs more guidance than usual, because even when I did get some muscle I didn't like it. It felt "thick" and then I felt fat.

That has been a while ago, but I have learned that muscles are cool! I love them but unfortunately I could stand to lose a few pounds. I hate to get so obsessed about it again. It is ALL or NOTHING for me and I still work on that every single day.

So, I do encourage you to seek counseling with this because it isn't an easy path back. The mind has to change first and there is no video or DVD to use for that! (((((hugs))))):)

Thank you all so much for your support. You spoke such kind words to me and I had no idea I'd be getting such replies(I don't use things like these forums usually, so I don't really know exactly how they work). I wasn't expecting such support from all of you, and I really appreciate it, because I'm going through a really difficult time right now. Thank you so much again.

You mentioned in your post that you treat eating disorders. Do you know of any programs that you would recommend for someone seeking treatment? I live in new york and i've heard of renfrew, do you know of any places that are reputable treatment facilities for eating disorders?

Sorry i didn't see this until now. Renfrew is one of the most well-respected and well-known facilities for the treatment of eating disorders, and so I highly recommend it (I think its inpatient though). If you're wondering about pursuing treatment, I'd recommend finding a psychologist near you who specializes in eating disorders (if there isn't one, see your physician) and have that person evaluate if you need something as intense as inpatient, or if they know of another venue for treatment that might benefit you (such as an intensive outpatient program). I don't know where in New York you live, but if its anywhere near the city, there will likely be lots of possibilities. Good luck and keep us posted...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.