Help! Dog question!

Our 2 year old Beagle (approximately...we adopted him when he found us as a stray in the neighborhood) wakes us up every night (sometimes several times per night) to go outside. He is out there just checking things out. He is looking for deer, rabbits, sometimes barking at them, and in the end peeing (maybe) and then coming in (10-30 minutes later).

He stays inside during the day for hours at a time with no accidents, so I know that he can "hold it". I think that he wakes up and gets bored or lonely and whienes until we let him out. I have tried letting him whine and he won't give up before I do. I have tried telling him NO firmly, but that doesn't work either.

It is like having a baby in the house again! Ugh! He is a very sweet dog and we love him, but I love my sleep, too!!!

Any advice for us? HELP!
Jenn

We had a beagle when I was a kid. They are adorable, but incredibly stubborn. Is he getting enough exercise? If not, I would suggest exercising him in the late afternoon, or early evening. I mean REALLY exercising him, until he drops from exhaustion. Then, maybe you and he will sleep through the night.
I had to laugh when you said you try to "wait him out." With a beagle, you are going to always be the loser in that battle.

Good luck.

Sarah

Our dear furry babies use their doggie door...our lives no longer revolve around their potty, sniffing or snooping needs. :)

I have a 3-year-old Beagle and she sleeps through the night...so there IS hope!!!
But, when mine cries/whimpers at night...she needs to pee or poo. Are you sure yours is not peeing when she goes outside?
I take mine out a lot during the day, if not, she will poo in my house :0
I know I have been of no help, but I understand the beagle howl!!!! ahhhhhh

Good luck!!

My short answer is that if you aren't already, I would start crating her at night and not take her out when she whines. Sounds like she has you trained and unless she is having some kind of a bladder issue, there is no reason a 2 year old dog cannot make it through the night. I have a much longer and more detailed answer, but I'm too lazy to post it all. ;) I also second giving her a lot of exercise. A nice long walk/run in the evening may help.

I just took him for about a mile walk, maybe a little longer and then we played with him in the yard. I am hoping this will help. He was an outdoor dog all summer and then when it got cold and snowy, he became an all indoor dog. He doesn't get much exercise. He is our first dog, so I am learning!

It makes perfect sense that he needs exercise, so I am going to make sure we get him more exercise!

Thank you so much for the suggestions!!
Jenn:D

I have 2 beagles and they almost always need to go out in the middle of the night! The only time they don't go, is when we stay up really late and get to bed after 11:30-12:00. Otherwise, I have to get up and put them out. Luckily, mine only go once per night!

Crating never helped us - inside kennels or outside kennel - they will bark and whine and howl constantly and won't quit! They are the ultimate pack dogs! They are only happy when they are piled on top of us or with us on the couch and in bed!

I don't think you'll ever be able to get your beagle to stay in bed all night, but hopefully you can get him to go only once per night!

I agree with the exercise idea, but be forewarned, my male beagle can go for hours, I mean HOURS! My DH took him to climb Mt. Washington one weekend and Milo led the way all the way up and didn't start wearing out until the second day and the climb down! After getting home, he was ready to go again after a couple of hours of rest! he is the Energizer Beagle!

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

This all reminds me of one of me and DH's favorite shows - King of Queens. There was this episode where the neighbor's beagle would bark all night long and the main character finally starting sneaking the neighbor's dog out for long walks before bed just so he could get some sleep. ;)

Yahooooo! He slept all night! We made him go out to pee one last time at 10:30 last night (He was soo tired!). It is 7:30 and he is just now stirring, still moving pretty slowly!!

It could be just a coincidence, but we will be taking another long walk today! It is good for both of us!! Thank you so much for your suggestions!!! I am so grateful!!

Jenn:D:D

Yayaya for sleeping thru the night .. exercise will probably be the answer to your problem .. ;)

I also wanted to add .. Beagles are hunters .. and he may be hearing things you dont or are not aware of .. if he was an outside dog to start with this is probably especially true .. he probably spent lots of time listening and "hunting" (depending on where you live) .. we have coyotes that get close to the house .. they run at night .. and howl and bark .. (live in the country) but my big babies go out several times at night when they hear them howling ... thank goodness they have a doggie door .. although sometimes they get spoiled and want US to LET them out .. LOL .. if this is the case .. patience .. keep the exercise up and keep him on schedule .. he will eventually "get it" ...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.