Help! Can I be saved??

FirmNurse

Cathlete
I have great respect for each person on this board so I am posting this here to get your insight.

I have been doing excellent for 5 months straight. Losing inches, and want to lose a few more, but really only about 10 pounds. I have really made the best muscle gains EVER in my years of working out just these past few months.

Well, since Thursday, I have been on a food binge. A whole bonanza of combinations...I am too ashamed to even tell you! I KNOW that I am going to get really serious right now again, but I am petrified. THIS is the point that I start to "lose it". I am scared.

Why do I feel like ALL my accomplishments are zeroed when I fall off the wagon for a few days? I feel like I need to get all my fat clothes out and that even my clothes that looked GREAT on me last night won't fit? That's absurd isn't it?????

About 24 hours ago, I got tons of compliments from people I had not seen in a year!!! I was SO happy. Now, at this moment, I feel like a failure and that all my muscle has shriveled up! And I just worked out 48 hours ago!!! Yesterday was my first rest day in over a week and I only had 3 rest days in April. I know that I have been working hard.

My question is, why do I feel like none of that matters once I totally mess up my diet for a few days? It's almost like a disorder when I think about the foods that I ate today. I could NOT stop!!

Has anyone ever had this problem and how do I make SURE that I continue with the program? I LOVE the way that it is going!!!!! HELP ME!!!!!

Jackie, I wasn't going to log in but I felt the need to say something.

First, you CAN be saved and only you can do the saving.

You yourself said that how you think and feel today is absurd. You also say that you have been working hard. Three rest days in April -- that's pretty darn hard to me. So here's my thought: maybe your current binge is your body's way of telling you it needs more fuel.

Also, while you were working your butt off in April, I was halfway around the planet, bingeing on soul food I hadn't had in five years, and some, for ten years. Of course I brought my Cathe workouts with me and I bought a whole bunch of equipment abroad, but what I put out couldn't burn how much I took in. And this was for four weeks.

Did I get fat? You bet I did. I guess I could've let my bad feelings about all this get the better of me, but after I slept off the jet lag, I resumed my workouts and cleaned up my eating. It's the middle of May, and I'm almost back to where I should be. Almost.

I learned a long time ago to slip and let slip, then move on. Just start over. And if you fall off the wagon again, then start over -- again. It sounds simpler than it is, but focusing on where you did wrong saps your energy.

Hope this helps.

Pinky

Sounds like you are mentally sabotaging yourself so you will not succeed.

Like Pinky said, "you" are the person who is in control, so "you" are the one who has to take control.

Question to think about, is there something going on in your life right now that may be causing you to sabotage? You don't have to answer, but this could be the case.

And regardless of what the answer is "you" must take control to achieve success.

Edited for yet another question, did you feel unworthy of the compliments when you received them?

A good while ago now, a few people commented on my six pack and body and i thought, "ohhhhh, thats nice" "i like this" then over the next few days i started to eat more food than normal. More chocolate. More crap. Why? Have no idea? But when the compliments come... i tend to eat more. I have no idea why. I do know how you feel. Its hard getting back on track, i'm starting this now. Getting back on tract. Making time for everything. I'm one of thse all or nothing people. I want it all. Now or i won't bother. So i do Cardio, Strength and flexibilty and think "but i don't have the time" so instead of just doing one, i don't do any if i can't do it all!!!

Wow, I could have written your post a few years ago. I know exactly where you are coming from.

You have taken the time to express your thoughts here in such an insightful way. You already have a firm understanding of what is happening to you. You have come so far and accomplished so much. Do NOT let one bad weekend spoil it all. You are stronger than that.

Please, please, please take a deep breath. (Seriously, stop reading this right now and breathe as much air into your lungs as possible, hold it for a second and exhale slowly.) NOW, tell yourself that YOU are in control of this moment and WHATEVER harm you THINK you did to yourself in the last few hours of your life has no impact, whatsoever, on what you CAN and WILL do right here, right now.

Drink tons of water. Put on your favorite workout outfit...the one that best shows off what you have already accomplished. Select a tough (but enjoyable) workout and SWEAT it out! Feel your body work and be happy about how it makes you feel. Embrace the endorphins! At the end of your workout, during the stretch, turn the lights off and close your eyes. Live in that moment of success and hold on to it.

You cannot be perfect. We like to think that we can be and we get awfully disappointed when we aren't. Learn to accept the setbacks and move on. Onwards and upwards!!! You CAN do it.

Shake it off - don't punish yourself. Try giving yourself a free day or meal, once a week so that you don't build up to a binge.

It's not about winning the race, it's about the journey. I'm sure you didn't set yourself back as far as you think you did. Start exercising and eating right again, now, today - and you'll be fine.

Hang in there.
- Shopgirl :)

We are all saying it's "Mind over matter"x( You just gotta do it!}(

Sometimes it helps me to analyze the situation before I can. Then I have a little pep talk with myself. Whatever works for you;)

Okay, you slipped. We all slip at some point. Forgive yourself.

You made the first step by posting here at the forum. You know we all support you. Don't be defeated by this. You can start back on track today. Yesterday is behind you.

-Diane

Here's a visualization tool I always use after periods of bad eating and sloth. (For example, Christmas vacation, Thanksgiving, summmer vacations where I eat anything and everything and sit on my duff all day.)

I imagine that the bad eating is a big, black hole in the ground. First thing I wanna do is get away as fast and as far from that hole as I can!

For each workout I take one step away from the hole. For each cleaning eating day, I take one step away from the hole. In a few weeks, what was once a big, black hole is now a dot in the horizon.

Now if I could only avoid that next hole!

Hope this helps a bit!

Patricia

Hi Jackie --

I think this type of thing is pretty common. I know I have the same types of thoughts, feelings, and tendencies on occasion. I think you've received some GREAT advice already from the fantastic women (and men ;-)) on this forum. So I will just re-iterate and offer some suggestions based on what I do to cope with the situation. The "all-or-none" thinking has to go. You know logically that you have NOT zeroed out ALL of your accomplishments. But I know it is hard to FEEL that truth when you are in a psychological fog from not living up to your own expectations of how you should eat or workout. I've been there and still end up there on occasion. The best thing for me to do in those times are:

1. Give myself a break. Everyone slips on occasion.
2. Shake it off and step up -- I do some kind of a workout. It doesn't have to be the most intense, just as long as it is something. This will get me in the groove again :) Mentally I feel better. Physically I feel better.
3. Tell myself that my body needed some extra fuel (or rest). Even Olympic athletes and professional athletes cycle their training. The body sometimes needs extra fuel and/or extra rest. So I tell myself that this was my cycle time.
4. Think of someone who inspires you (Cathe, Oprah, etc). I used to say, "if Oprah can run a marathon...I can do anything too"!
5. Think of an inspirational quote. Mine is "every passing moment is another chance to turn it all around".

Workout today. Eat well today. Tomorrow doesn't matter anymore.

Take care of yourself, Jackie!
Shonie

I read this post last night before I went to bed and I saw Pinky gave you great advice. I thought I should give myself a night of sleep to come up with something to add. First, I think some people in this forum can relate to this post cause we've been there in the past. Second, don't you think you're working a tad too hard? I come up with crazy rotations for myself sometimes and when I share them people can't believe them, but I usually don't give them my all every single day. There are days when I feel I can workout super hard and I have tons of energy and strength and there are days that I feel I could lighten up on my weight and cardio a little bit. The important thing is that I make time to exercise and when I need to rest I rest. Cathe says that all the time in her videos. I remember the lines: "we're doing power 15s but if you feel tired don't jump them all" or in Slow and Heavy when she says: "there are days when you can't give your all. I know sometimes I've been up with my kid and the next day I have no energy", etc. You've lost weight the healthy way with diet and exercise and you need to maintain it, but you also need to recognize the signs of overtraining and learn how to modify your workouts.

Another thing is that your body needs fuel to sustain your level of activity. Are you sure you're eating enough good quality calories daily? I'm not talking about junk food I'm talking about enough proteins, complex carbs, and non saturated fats. Your caloric needs are different on your rest days than on your activity days. Maybe your food binge is telling you your body needs more fuel. Ok so that was me trying to figure out what is going on. Now the piece of advice...if you have a tendency to binge on food some days, why don't you get rid of all the unhealthy food around you? Your tone in this post makes me think you ate unhealthy, fattening foods and that's why you feel guilty. I think that you should only have healthy snacks and good quality food around you and in that way if you go on a binge at least you're eating healthy foods. And to conclude, I have to say that you are a woman and women have female hormones. Weight fluctuations of a couple of pounds are normal, however weight fluctuations of more than 20lbs are not. Learn to recognize the signs your body is giving you and if you feel things are getting out of your control go to your doctor for advice.

**"The lady doth protest too much, methinks" - Shakespeare, Hamlet**:+

I know exactly what you're saying. Loss of control is terrifying. Like you, I feel I need to get out the fat clothes, that I don't deserve the new, cute clothes I can now wear. I feel that if I make one mistake, I'll be right back where I started. I fully expect to look in the mirror and be horrified. But don't give in. Yes, it feels terrible when you eat badly for several days, and you have lost a little of your forward progress, but what is the alternative? You either start again, you get that control back, or you really DO go back to where you were. I gave in to that need to binge once and ended up at nearly 300 pounds. Now I mess up more than I'd like, and I'm not a size 8 yet, but I'm stll wearing a size 12 instead of a 28. Every day you "get back on that horse" you're making progress, if only in not going backward. Like Dory says in Finding Nemo, "Just keep swimming." :)

Shari

Wow. I could have easily written your post as well. It is the trap of perfectionist thinking, and what I call a blur between perception and reality. You rationally know that nothing has changed in 24hrs except your perception, but sometimes we just can't temper our emotions with our mind. Believe me I know this all too well. I have been working very hard at trying to be less rigid with my exercise and diet and it is hard, but there is so much life happening around us and if we can step back and see ourselves we can see that there is so much more to focus on energies on.
Hang in there. One day at a time. Breathe. STOP judging yourself. You are stronger than you think. It took strength to reach out and ask for help. You have support here, use it.

Like many posters on this forum, I feel like this often.
Here's my input based on my own experiences.
It sounds to me like you're mind might be sabotaging yourself.
I always do high intensity workouts and I punish myself at times thinking, "as hard as I work out I should look (at least somewhere close)like ...."
I'm an all-or-nothing type person so moderation is not something I can succeed at, though I'm still trying.
What's been helping me some lately is to STOP and (even sometimes my mind doesn't allow that)seriously think/visualize and remember how I feel after I eat something unclean(fat, no willpower, why not just throw in the towel). That bad feeling/memory sometimes stops me from eating the unclean food or eating when I'm not hungry.
Another helpful thing for me is STOP and imagine how that food tastes, smells and it's texture. Sometimes that satifies my craving. The keyword for me is STOP before I eat it.
Maybe something I said will help a little. If not, just know that you have support here.

Hey Firm Nurse

I've been there and I still do work hard to control binge eating. From my experience - the main way to put an end to it is not purely through self-control but understanding the emotional reasons behind all that eating.

Here's what I realised. There were so many moments in my life where being a size 1 or 2 (or being thin) felt wonderful - when I was shopping or in social situations like parties or whatever. Those times it felt like being thin was worth all the hard work. But I also found myself confronted with a larger number of times when being thin wasn't enough to take me away from how crap I truly felt about myself from the inside out - when I was under stress, when I was disappointed, when I was rejected, when I was bored/ stressed/ lonely/ fatigued/ depressed - the list goes on. I ate/ binged or medicated on food, exercised and even starved every time I was confronted with a problem/ unpleasant moment.

For me it really was about learning how to cope/ deal with these emotions/ moments in a healthy manner and learning to accept myself (my feelings and thoughts) beyond what I was accomplishing physically.

Hope this helps and good luck with your fitness journey.

Also if you feel so bad ever again try reading a book by Geneen Roth. Her work is amazing and she truly taught me how to regain control over food again. Take care.

:)

Thank you all for your support here. I got on the scale the next morning (sorry, but I needed to know)n and I had gained only 2 pounds in 4 days. I was expecting much worse, although I knew that no matter what it said, that I needed to regain control. But I needed that number to tell me when I was "back", if you can get what I mean by that.

Anyway, it is hard going back to 100% clean after eating so badly. I had about 90 days of clean eating in a row and then KABOOM! So, it was a rough Monday but I regained control.

I did PUB on Monday evening and tonite I did PLB. WOW!!! Am I sore and I truly thought that taking a couple of rest days in a row might make me stronger....:-(

So, I am SO grateful for you all urging me on. I appreciate that you all took the time. You have all come so far and I am inspired by your stories. Your perserverance.

In a way, I know the science behind it all, but it's the emotional and psychological "boost" that I needed. I needed someone else (someone like you knowledgeable people) to tell me that it isn't as bad as I thought. That I hadn't blown it all!!

This has happened to me as well- I think everyone has moments. in fact just the other day I thought if I had to look at another salad I would get sick- so I ate a snack - it was those baked doritos. just a couple....I felt better..then the next day I thought I'd have some pizza. after that it was monday and time to get started again....I just buckled down ate good and worked out- sometimes it's worse than that- where I feel like I can't get enough food (actually being a woman is part of the reason around that special time...and I think the other has to do with the moon) it may sound crazy to some but I've kept track and noticed that for me when the moon is full I crave certain foods. no I'm not a werewolf (although that would be cool) but I've read about the moon and it's effects and it's true. so just do what you gotta do and then get back in there- try not to look back and feel bad about what you did...treat each new day as a challenge and get back in there.

I thought this was an informative article:

THE HIDDEN REASON WHY YOU SABOTAGE YOUR DIET AND FITNESS
EFFORTS JUST WHEN THE GOING GETS GOOD (AND WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT)

Tell me if this has ever happened to you: You decide you want to improve your body and live a healthier lifestyle. You read all the books, gather all the information, map out a nutritional strategy, design your own workout schedule (or have a trainer do it for you), and you embark on the journey to a leaner, more muscular physique…and it starts working! But the minute you begin getting results, you fall off the wagon. You binge, you skip workouts, you cheat. What’s most perplexing (and upsetting) is that you know what you should do… but no matter how hard you try, you can’t get yourself to do it! It’s as if some unseen force is sabotaging you and controlling your behavior like you were a puppet on a string.
If this scenario sounds all too familiar, then the answer to your frustrations might lie deep within your subconscious mind in something called your “SELF CONCEPT.” Unfortunately, the average person, at the mere mention of self concept, self worth or self image usually cries, “Oh no, not another one of these cheesy self-help articles!”

Whenever I mention self concept to a client who has never been exposed to the idea before, their eyes glaze over and they get a distant look as if they were saying, “okay Tom, I’ll be out here in la-la land daydreaming for a while… pinch me when you start talking about the good stuff like thermogenic supplements, split routines, killer ab workouts and interval training, ok?”

You may not understand or appreciate this “self concept” and “self image” stuff yet. However, if you choose to ignore this information, you would be making a grave error. You can be on the most perfect nutrition program and the best training routine in the world, but you’ll always sabotage yourself in the long run if you don’t understand what your self image is, how it controls your behavior, and how to change it.

First, let’s talk about your SELF-CONCEPT: This is the total bundle of beliefs you have about yourself, including all the names and labels you put on yourself and the way you see yourself. If you really want to know what your true self-concept is, write down the words “I AM ______________” and fill in the blanks with everything you can think of. For example:

I am shy
I am not a good salesperson
I am fat
I am uncoordinated
I am sexy
I am unattractive
I am an F student
I am an A student
I am wealthy
I am a failure
I am accident-prone
I am a great conversationalist
I am broke
I earn $25,000 per year
I could never earn $250,000 per year
My body will always be shaped like a pear
I'm not very athletic

As you can see from the list, you have a “mini” self-concept for every area of your life including your relationships, your ability to attract wealth, your talent in writing, math, art or music and your body image, just to name a few.

Your self-concept was first formed in early childhood, largely from the influence of your parents and the authority figures in your life. When you were an infant and a small child, the "lid" on your mind was wide open. One hundred percent of the information and suggestions given to you at this young age went straight into your subconscious where they were accepted as true, even if they weren’t true. Your mind was like a lump of soft, pliable clay.

When you reached adolescence, it was like the “lid” on your mind slammed shut with all the early childhood programming locked inside. As an adult, your self-concept has solidified, but it slowly continues to be molded and reinforced by your successes, failures, triumphs, humiliations and everything you experience, see, hear, read and think. For example, if you go on a diet or exercise program and you fail, this goes into your subconscious memory bank and reinforces a negative self-concept: “See, I told you I’ll never be able to look like those people in the magazines.”

Although your self-concept is deeply entrenched from years of conditioning, it CAN be changed. Before I explain the four steps to making the change, I want to explain self-concept using an analogy everyone can relate to - MONEY! Why money? Well, as I mentioned before, most people not only don’t understand the self-concept, they’re bored to death at the slightest mention of it.

I’d hate to see you doze off before you get to the really juicy stuff later in this article, and since money is seldom a subject that bores anyone and it’s a common denominator between all people, let me explain the relationship between money and self-concept first. Once you see how self-concept affects how much money you earn, you’ll easily understand how it affects what kind of shape you’re in. You’ll then have enough awareness to begin changing your self-concept - and your body - for the better.

Question: If you won a large sum of money, or if your annual income suddenly became your monthly income, how would you feel about it?

“That would be AWESOME!” is what most people blurt out initially. I have news for you: As bizarre as this may sound, I guarantee that if your old self-concept was still locked in place, you’d do everything possible to get rid of your new-found wealth. You’d make bad business decisions. You’d be unsuccessful in sales. You’d have an uncontrollable urge to go out and spend the money, splurge on things you didn't need, invest in things you knew nothing about, lend to people who wouldn't give it back or even flat out lose it! Just look at what happens to most lottery winners.

Even though everyone SAYS they’d like more money, that’s only on the conscious, surface level. The problem is, your behavior is NOT controlled by your conscious mind; your behavior is controlled on a deeper level - from your subconscious mind where your self-concept is located. If having a lot of money isn’t consistent with your self-concept, it will sooner or later lead to some form of sabotaging behavior to bring you back down to your comfort level.

Most people stay inside a comfort zone that’s consistent with the concept and image they hold of themselves. They rarely rise above it or allow themselves to fall below it. Any time you try to make a change in your life, whether it’s losing fat or earning more money, it will stir up resistance inside you because you’re attempting to move beyond the safe, familiar and comfortable.

To earn more money, you must see yourself as capable of earning more money and worthy of keeping it. If you see yourself as a $24,000 per YEAR person, you’ll NEVER earn and keep $24,000 per MONTH unless you see yourself as a $24,000 per month person.

Are you starting to understand how the same thing could happen when you try to change your body?

To be lean, healthy and fat-free, you must see yourself as being capable of achieving that body and worthy of maintaining it. If you see yourself as a fat, pear-shaped person, you’ll NEVER be a lean, fat-free person until you see yourself as a lean, fat-free person.

Just when you start to see results and become happy with how you look…. all of a sudden, you’ll get the irresistible urge to sleep in and blow off your 6 a.m. workouts. You’ll get uncontrollable cravings for Ben and Jerry’s Chunky Monkey ice cream at 11:30 p.m. You’ll lose your motivation. You won’t “feel” like working out. These self-sabotaging behaviors are all symptoms of a self-concept that’s inconsistent with your present results.

The part of the self-concept that affects your physical condition and ability to achieve your perfect weight is called the SELF-IMAGE. Maxwell Maltz, a plastic surgeon and author of the best seller, Psycho Cybernetics, stumbled onto the discovery of self-image with his patients. Even though he had corrected physical defects and deformities with surgery, his patients often retained their old self-image and continued to see themselves as “ugly,” “scarred,” or “deformed” even though they appeared quite beautiful by society’s standards. As a result, they continued to behave as they always had; shy, retiring, lacking in confidence.

This led Dr. Maltz to the conclusion that changing the physical image was not the real key to changes in personality and behavior. There was “something else.” That something else is the self-image. When the self-image is “reconstructed,” the person changes. If the self-image stays the same, the person’s behavior stays the same.

Emerson once wrote, “Of what use to make heroic vows of amendment if the same old lawbreaker is to keep them? Jesus taught us that it is folly to put new wine into old bottles or a patch of new material on an old garment. People who don’t understand self-image erroneously put all their attention on changing their eating and exercise behaviors, but the problem with this physical-only approach is that it’s not addressing the SOURCE or cause of the behavior. The source of your behavior is your mental self-image. You are more than just a body. You are a body, a mind and a spirit. You will always act - and can ONLY act - like the type of person you SEE yourself to be in your mind.

If you see yourself as a fat person, you will behave like a fat person. If you see yourself as a lean, fit and healthy person, you will behave like a lean, fit and healthy person. A fat person would never work out faithfully every day of the week, so why is it any surprise that someone with a “fat person” self-image would skip workouts? Their brain is programmed to skip workouts. Someone with a “fat person” self-image would never eat healthy, low fat, low sugar, low calorie meals, so why would it be surprising that they cheat on their diet and binge on junk food? After all, their brain is programmed to eat junk. Is this starting to make sense?

To make a lasting change, you must work on the physical AND the mental planes. Of course you have to change your lifestyle, exercise and nutrition habits, but the real secret is not trying to force new behaviors, but changing the self-image which controls the behavior. Put your energy on a new mental picture, and the new picture will create new behaviors. Best of all, the new behaviors that spring from a positive new self-image will come without as much effort or willpower because they’re hard-wired into every cell of your body. The “unseen forces” are now working for you instead of against you.

So, lets suppose you have the self-image of an unfit or overweight person… How the heck do you change it if it’s so deeply embedded in your mind from years of conditioning? There are four simple steps:

STEP 1: CREATE YOUR NEW SELF IMAGE

The first step is to choose your new self-image. You could say this is goal setting, but your self-image is not as much a “goal” as it is a PICTURE IN YOUR MIND. I was on a conference call with success coach Bob Proctor last night and one of the participants said her goal was to lose weight. Bob said something to her that really struck me. He said, “Have you ever noticed how people are always losing weight and gaining it back? Well, it’s because if you lose something, your subconscious mind will immediately begin looking for it. Instead, you have to release it and be at your perfect weight. And your perfect weight is a not just a goal, it’s a picture.”

So what you have to do first is decide what would you really like to look like if you could have any body you wanted. See the picture in your mind. Make it clear, vivid and dynamic. Dream. Fantasize. You’ve been endowed with an amazing creative faculty called imagination. Use it - it’s the starting point of a new self-image and all lasting changes.

Many people get scared at this step and ask only for what they think they can get, not what they really want. It’s okay if this scares you a little. In fact, if your goal isn’t scary and exciting at the same time, then you’re not thinking big enough. Don’t sell yourself short. Ask for what you really WANT. Ignore anyone who tells you to “be realistic.” Take that "lid" off your mind and DREAM!

STEP 2: CREATE A WRITTEN DESCRIPTION OF YOUR NEW IMAGE

Once you’ve got the picture in mind, the second step is to put a description of your new image in writing. The act of writing what you want on paper is an intermediary step in going from the ethereal, untouchable state of thought (imagination & dreams) to the concrete, tangible state of form. Once on paper (or a “goal card” you carry with you), your image has in essence, begun the transformation from mental to physical. When you write your goal, use the three P’s: POSITIVE (what you want to achieve, not what you want to avoid or get rid of), PERSONAL (use the word “I”) and PRESENT tense (an already-having-received attitude). Don’t worry if it’s not perfect. Just sit down and write, write, write. You can always go back and edit, change or update it later. Just start.

STEP 3: ACT THE PART

What you’ve done in the first two steps is literally to create a new role for yourself. You’ve written your own script. Be like George C Scott playing General Patton. He didn’t just act. He became Patton - he lived the part. So do all great actors. Be an actor or actress and step into your new role.

This will feel awkward at first. Resistance will well up inside you. People will criticize you and say you’re a crazy dreamer. It will feel like you’re lying to yourself. Continue to play the new role anyway. Fake it until you make it. Someone once said that most people live like they were extras in their own movies. Why settle for less when you can be the writer, producer, director and STAR of your own movie? Create the character and write the script exactly as you’d like to be and then play the part until the part becomes real.

Take actions that are consistent with the new image you’ve created. Act the part. Do something every day that moves you closer to your goal. Get moving! Ask yourself, “What would a person with the type of body I want do in this situation?” Then do it. Act as though you were already the owner of your ultimate dream body. A very wise person once said, “Act as though I am and I will be.”

You must take action. I’m not suggesting a Pollyanna positive thinking only approach. Affirmations are an effective part of realizing your new image, but as motivational speaker Jim Rohn says, “Affirmation without action is the beginning of delusion.” In fact, Maltz pointed out in Psycho Cybernetics that the reason affirmations and positive thinking don’t always work is because they cannot be used as a crutch to the same old self-image. What I'm suggesting to you is positive thinking, positive visualizing, positive action AND the fourth and final step, positive reinforcement, in order to change your old self image.

STEP 4: REINFORCE THE IMAGE DAILY… EVEN HOURLY

The fourth step is to re-program your mind by replacing the old image with the new image through repetition, repetition, repetition. Repetition is the mother of learning and the father of a new self-image. It took a long time for your current self-image to develop so you can’t expect it to change overnight. It takes at least 21 days of CONSISTENT effort for the roots of a new image to form and sometimes up to 90 days before the roots shoot up through the ground and become visible for all the world to see. Remember, there is a gestation period for everything. Be patient and persistent.

Installing your new self-image is achieved by visualizing, reading, thinking and writing your written description over and over again, day after day, until the new image becomes reality. These four methods of reinforcement and repetition will burn the new image into your subconscious mind like data onto a CD.

Visualizing is especially powerful. Psychologists have known for decades that the human brain and nervous system can’t distinguish between an experience that is real and one that is vividly imagined. When you vividly imagine yourself the way you want to be, doing the things you want to do, these mental pictures are not only accepted by your subconscious as real, they are accepted as commands or instructions. Project your image onto the screen of your mind. Remember, it’s your movie, so you can project anything you want. Visualizing your perfect body image while you’re in a physically relaxed state is even more powerful because your subconscious is more impressionable when you're relaxed.

Thinking constructively also begins to dissolve the old image and solidify the new one. Your self-concept is influenced by outside suggestions, but the greatest influence on your mind is your own thoughts and “self-talk.” The conversation you have with yourself in your head every minute of every day maintains your current self-image and performance level, whether that’s enjoying high achievement or wallowing in the same old rut. Thoughts, like images, are commands to your subconscious. Once you realize this, you start getting very careful of what you think about. Watch those “I’ms!” Change your thinking patterns to match your new self-image. You become what you think about all day long.

Read your written goal at least twice a day; once in the morning and once again at night. These are the times when your subconscious mind is most impressionable. An incredibly powerful technique is to write your written description on a goal card and carry it with you everywhere you go. Every time you put your hand in your pocket and touch the card, it will make you think about your new image. Every time you get a chance, pull out your card and read it, mentally picturing yourself as if you were already there.

Re-writing your written description is even more effective at impressing your new image into your subconscious than simply reading it. Achievement expert Brian Tracy says that if you write out your goal statement on paper every day, changes will happen so fast, it will almost frighten you. This is an incredibly simple, yet powerful technique.

You may have heard of these techniques before in self-help, goal setting or motivational programs. But admit it - you probably ignored them because they sounded too “cheesy.” My friend, the most profound truths in life are the simplest and most obvious ones. Don’t underestimate the simplicity of these methods. Many people I’ve taught these techniques to wrote them off as trite or corny and didn’t even give them a chance. Nothing changed in their lives. Others followed these instructions to a “T” and transformed their bodies and their lives beyond anything they ever imagined.

There’s immense power in mental images. The formula is simple: Decide what you want to look like, project your new image on the screen of your mind (visualize), think about the “new you” constantly, create a written description of your new image and read it at least twice per day, (write it out daily for even more impact), then follow through with actions that are consistent with your goal. Your marvelous and powerful mind will do the rest.

:D

Thank you. That is a lot of food for thought. I learned through Cathe that visualizing your muscle contracting before it actually does, makes the movement much more effective. This article is a lot like that.

It can really be amazing how much power the mind has OVER the body. Sometimes when I can barely get that last rep, I visualize myself doing it, and it gets done. I can't imagine what my workouts would be like if I had never learned THAT lesson. The focus.

So this article will surely be beneficial. Sometimes you think that you are already doing all of this, but when you take the time to REALLY think about it, you realize that you weren't focusing as much as you could have.

Thanks again!!:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.