Heavy Bag

atompki1

Cathlete
For those of you that have a heavy bag....do you feel like the expense of the bag has been worth it? I'm thinking about getting one later this year, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost. I'm not sure I would even use it once a week and it seems like it would be hard to move around making it even more difficult to use often. What are your experiences with this piece of equip?

TIA for your input :)

I love mine! I am doing a rotation now that does not use it but I usually like doing two kb workouts in a week and this makes them more fun! I justify the cost simply because I don't need a gym to have the equipment I want so it is cheaper to have your own equipment like this. I mean even if you do use it once a week I feel it's worth it. Plus It is heavy and big. But I have it setting in a corner but easy to get to and I don't have to move it at all where I have it.
Anyway also I have taken some of the punches to the bag even when the DVD wasn't using the bags. It just helps be punch away my frustrations. It's great for depression!!

Thanks Toni for posting this question.

I have been thinking about having one too but I am intending to use mine twice per week. Although I have made UP my mind, I need to get ride of few equipment I no longer need before purchasing one. I am having a folding stand and a separate bag to move around.

Here is the link:

York Boxing Folding and Height Adjustable Punchbag Stand - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

I believe this folding stand by York is only available in UK.
Not 100% sure:cool:.

Perhaps you could consider having smaller folding kit stand you can drill in your Gym room plus a separate bag. This might be the cheapest option.

Authentic RDX 13PC Professional Boxing Set Punch Bag 4FT/5FT,Gloves,Bracket MMA AB: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

I hope someone chime in and share their results incorporating heavy bags into their routines.;)

HTH

Last edited:
For those of you that have a heavy bag....do you feel like the expense of the bag has been worth it? I'm thinking about getting one later this year, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost. I'm not sure I would even use it once a week and it seems like it would be hard to move around making it even more difficult to use often. What are your experiences with this piece of equip?

TIA for your input :)

I love mine, but wouldn't use it enough to justify a big expense. I have a freestanding Wavemaster (smaller than the ones Cathe uses). I got it for $40 through a local classified ad. Now that Cathe has made more Heavy Bag bonuses, I use it more often and really enjoy it. Check out your local classifieds or a store that sells used sporting goods. A lot of people get things like this and then decide they don't use them and want to sell them. In my case, the people had purchased one for kids taking a Martial Arts class, but it just ended up in their garage.

The Wavemaster is easy to move by tipping and rolling it. I keep it in a corner and roll it into place when I'm doing a KB workout--quick and easy.

Mine is an older version of this one: Amazon.com: Century The Original Wavemaster Training Bag (Blue): Sports & Outdoors

I am short and keep it in the lowest position, but it does adjust to be higher if you need it.

Elsie wrote exactly what I was going to say! Check craigslist. That's where I found mine for $50 (along with my step, spin bike, etc.). I also use mine alot more now that Cathe has 3 heavy bag routines and I also have an Amy Bento dvd that has a heavy bag bonus. Punching that bag really gives you a good workout. Good luck!
Paula

handwraps/hand gel gloves

Sorry Toni, Hope you do not mind me hijacking your thread!

I just would like to ask a question to anyone using heavy bag.
Do you wear hand wraps/or hand gel gloves before putting your punching gloves on?

I absolutely LOVE my heavy bag. I have the free standing one Elsie mentions and it is perfect for me. I started off using 12oz gloves and quickly moved to 14oz gloves and these work well for me. I do not use wraps or gel gloves only because I never think of them until I go to put my gloves on! I have an old pair of weight gloves that I slip on before the boxing gloves and this has made a huge difference in comfort for me. I use all of Cathe's heavy bag workouts plus I have the Addiction Series I bought on Amazon. It is because of the Addiction series that I felt I needed wraps for more comfort. I am hoping at some point Cathe does a longer heavy bag workout. :D

YES. I, too, have the WaveMaster model that Cathe uses, and I filled the base w/sand instead of water (if the base gets breached in some way, I won't have to clean up a flood).

I absolutely LOVE my heavy bag. I have the free standing one Elsie mentions and it is perfect for me. I started off using 12oz gloves and quickly moved to 14oz gloves and these work well for me. I do not use wraps or gel gloves only because I never think of them until I go to put my gloves on! I have an old pair of weight gloves that I slip on before the boxing gloves and this has made a huge difference in comfort for me. I use all of Cathe's heavy bag workouts plus I have the Addiction Series I bought on Amazon. It is because of the Addiction series that I felt I needed wraps for more comfort. I am hoping at some point Cathe does a longer heavy bag workout. :D

Tabata drills on heavy bag would be what arms need :p:p , would great:D

I love my heavy bag too. I also have the large wavemaster and filled the base with sand. I can move mine easy enough by tilting and rolling it but I have it placed in an area where it's really not necessary. :)

Can you explain? also how do you like this series, of all things I found this pretty interesting last year.

Can you explain? also how do you like this series, of all things I found this pretty interesting last year.

Hi 112toGuru....The Addiction workouts are a lot longer and tons more punching the bag! I like the series a lot but do not think it is worth the money spent. I only bought because I had amazon points to help reduce the actual cash spent. Consists of 6 dvds with one of them an instructional. Tons of punching drills, burpees , pushups and even steps ups on the base. They are about 40 mins long and I am usually spent by the end and feel I had a total body workout. Again I like the workouts just feel they are over priced.

thanks labnick, they are unique, and I like her enthusiasm in the clips I've seen, I just don't have a reason to get anything but that one is on the radar.

I keep thinking eventually I'm going to want to do something like that. I would like to get a "guys" workout to for BF, he wanted it and doesn't use it that much.

atompki1 - we've had ours for a long time, and we got a good buy on it. I'm glad we have it now.

I ordered the addicted! Loved the clips! I hope I like them ! I love Cathes hard strikes and rock out knockout! I get bored usually with boxing DVDs because you punch air mostly and rarely get heart rate up. But HS and RK are fun and exciting lol I hope these are to.

Renee, let me how you like the series. Next time I do any of cathe's kickbox going to try and incorporate my heavy bag like the others have mentioned. Never thought of doing this. Such a great idea!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.