Heavy bag

jrichards111

Cathlete
Hi everyone,
I would like to buy a heavy bag for the kickboxing workouts. Does anyone have a recommendation? I'm 5'2 and about 107 pounds. I read some reviews on Amazon but wanted to see if anyone here have any experience with this.

Thanks,

Justina

This is a good question. I was in Big 5 a week ago and saw a heavy bag that I thought would be good enough for me. It was only about $50-60.

My DH just laughed at me because I wanted a bag. I think he thinks I've lost it a little- workout wise that is:D

I have the heavy bag that suspends from the ceiling (or floor joists for me :)). If I had to do it again, I would buy the one that has a floor pedestal only because it always seems to be in the way swinging around in the basement.

Thanks for the reply. I think it will be a lot of work filling up the bag. It's worth it though. I want to actually hit something when I do the kickboxing workouts. :D

We have both versions of boxing bags actually. I prefer to hit the one that's on a pedestal, but also it hasn't broken. The one that hangs has broken straps. In either case, just keep it away from any walls. I've damaged a few walls.
Filling it is easy. Either use a hose, maybe you can fit it through a window? or use sand.
You could use small rocks or kitty litter too. Those would be easier to find, around here anyway.

I have one that suspends from the ceiling. I bought it from Amazon, and with free shipping it was fantastically reasonable. But, I do wish I had gone with the free standing as well. But I understand it needs to be heavy enough, as friends have purchased the smaller version, and it moves when punched. Has them chasing their bag all over the basement :D. I do like my hanging bag, but wish I had the option to move it out of the way, or more into the center of the room.

Good luck!

I tried the standing bag first, I HATED it. It moved every time I hit it. I'd start my w/o on one side of the room & by the time I was done I'd end up on the other side.

So I decided to go for the hanging bag. I got it from Dick's for $60--it's 70 lbs & has "MMA" on the side of it. The same exact bag without the "MMA" cost $150. Funny how fitness fads come & go..........

Anyway, It took me two different brackets & knocking the thing off the wall twice before I realized my sheetrock ceiling & paneled walls are at least 8 inches from the concrete. :rolleyes:

I just ended up cutting a small hole in the ceiling & hanging it from a joist w/an eye hook. Now I love it. I use it a couple times a week.

ElleJay, there are little weighted extensions you can get at Dick's, SA, etc. to keep the bag from swinging as much. There's a little strap across the bottom of the bag, that's what it's for. :)

Thanks, Laura - I wish I had the pedestal one though because it is in the way where it is hanging. I would like to put it in the corner out of the way. I just have too much crap in the basement! :p Gosh do I need to have a garage sale!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.