Has PETA lost its mind, or...?

morningstar

Cathlete
PETA wishes Obama hadn't swatted that fly
Updated Thu. Jun. 18 2009 8:36 AM ET

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- The group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wants the flyswatter in chief to try taking a more humane attitude the next time he's bedeviled by a fly in the White House.

PETA is sending President Barack Obama a Katcha Bug Humane Bug Catcher, a device that allows users to trap a house fly and then release it outside.

"We support compassion even for the most curious, smallest and least sympathetic animals," PETA spokesman Bruce Friedrich said Wednesday. "We believe that people, where they can be compassionate, should be, for all animals."

During an interview for CNBC at the White House on Tuesday, a fly intruded on Obama's conversation with correspondent John Harwood.

"Get out of here," the president told the pesky insect. When it didn't, he waited for the fly to settle, put his hand up and then smacked it dead.

"Now, where were we?" Obama asked Harwood. Then he added: "That was pretty impressive, wasn't it? I got the sucker."

Friedrich said that PETA was pleased with Obama's voting record in the Senate on behalf of animal rights and noted that he has been outspoken against animal abuses.

Still, "swatting a fly on TV indicates he's not perfect," Friedrich said, "and we're happy to say that we wish he hadn't."

Deputy press secretary Josh Earnest said the White House has no comment on the matter.

On another note, PETA recently sent out a mass email encouraging everyone to boycott Canadian Maple Syrup, because of the seal hunt. Never mind that maple syrup production doesn't hurt any animals, PETA urges people to harm the business of maple syrup producers simply because they happen to be Canadian. Incidentally, most Canadians are against the seal hunt.

I am a vegetarian, and an animal lover, and I can't help but think that PETA has lost its collective mind and is doing more harm than good to the animal rights cause by being so extreme and incredibly judgemental in its directives.

PETA lost its mind a long time ago, especially with its very sexist advertising campaigns. I can't stand PETA and it's nothing to do with not loving animals myself.

You beat me to this thread. Come on .... Wonder if a PETA member has ever seen seen a fly go from dog doo to an item of food on your plate...kill it!(the fly)

Yeah, I think one has to pick and choose battles carefully. The fly thing, though I myself would have tried to catch and release the little guy, is not the best choice in my opinion.

PETA is ridiculous. I sometimes think they do more harm than good in terms of animal rights, with headline-grabbing pranks like this one. Seriously, fly-swatting? Personally, I'd prefer to spend my time and money campaigning against the institutions that mete out massive atrocities against animals, like unnecessary cosmetic testing facilities or factory farms. Not one guy swatting a fly.

Also, I think their use of naked female "vegetarians" in their ad campaigns is sexist.

PETA has gone a little off the deep end. I understand the theory of what they are trying to do, but the practice is a little jacked up. I think Mr President has more things to worry about then someone being angry at him bc he swatted a bug. There are much bigger fish to fry. Oops, I suppose PETA doesn't want to fry fish, either ;):p

Nan

Last edited:
PETA has gone a little off the deep end. I understand the theory of what they are trying to do, but the practice is a little jacked up. I think Mr President has more things to worry about then someone being angry at him bc he swatted a bug. There are much bigger fish to fry. Oops, I supposed PETA doesn't want to fry fish, either ;):p

Nan

I don't know. PETA has a pretty relaxed idea of what vegetarianism means.

PETA lost its mind a long time ago, especially with its very sexist advertising campaigns. I can't stand PETA and it's nothing to do with not loving animals myself.

Yes, they have.:mad: I will not buy anything or support anything with their name on it. They have a lot of nerve finger pointing with all their illegal activity. I won't spend money on anything that will pay their legal fees.

Yes, they have.:mad: I will not buy anything or support anything with their name on it. They have a lot of nerve finger pointing with all their illegal activity. I won't spend money on anything that will pay their legal fees.
DITTO!! I couldn't agree more! They're a despicable organization and I will not support them. BTW, I question their supposed love of animals. Anybody catch the story a year or so ago about all the dead cats and dogs in the trash cans outside of their "no kill" shelters?

DITTO!! I couldn't agree more! They're a despicable organization and I will not support them. BTW, I question their supposed love of animals. Anybody catch the story a year or so ago about all the dead cats and dogs in the trash cans outside of their "no kill" shelters?

Yes, I saw that report.:mad: They are not at all what they seem. The leader of PETA is a nut job. She's all against animal testing, burning/bombing labs, killed people in the process but yet she uses a drug to control her diabetes that was tested on animals first. Her is excuse was it was for the greater good.:rolleyes:

Yes, I saw that report.:mad: They are not at all what they seem. The leader of PETA is a nut job. She's all against animal testing, burning/bombing labs, killed people in the process but yet she uses a drug to control her diabetes that was tested on animals first. Her is excuse was it was for the greater good.:rolleyes:
Oh yeah, she's a real piece of work! Frankly, think she belongs behind bars.

Yes, I saw this. :mad::mad:

PETA is NOT a friend to companion animals. Cynthia is spot on that their leader is a nut job.

its being a hypocrite and you can't trust a hypocrite. its a shame b/c ppl will follow them b/c they really do believe in helping animals but they are doing it at the expense of lives and freedom for others. you have right to your opinion but you do not have the right to put humans in an uncomfortable situation or even in danger.

and really pam anderson in their ads? am i suppose to take that seriously!? am i really to believe this woman is a vegetarian and all about the animals??am sure many animals were tested with the same silicone used for her boobs and lips.

kassia

I pay very little attention to PETA. I had no idea there was so much controversy about the head of their organization. I'll have to check it out.

its being a hypocrite and you can't trust a hypocrite. its a shame b/c ppl will follow them b/c they really do believe in helping animals but they are doing it at the expense of lives and freedom for others. you have right to your opinion but you do not have the right to put humans in an uncomfortable situation or even in danger.

and really pam anderson in their ads? am i suppose to take that seriously!? am i really to believe this woman is a vegetarian and all about the animals??am sure many animals were tested with the same silicone used for her boobs and lips.

kassia

Pam Anderson has been PETA's biggest supporter, and she is indeed vegan in everything she does. She is the best thing about PETA in my opinion- I quite like her. She's funny, smart, and doesn't take herself too seriously. She just happens to believe that PETA's way of doing things is the best way, and I disagree strongly.

I spray my home to kill mosquitos and bugs, I will gladly get ALL rats and roaches killed.

But I do realize the inherent contradiction in myself as I profess to be a compassionate vegetarian. My self preservation instinct is higher than my compassion quotient.

I dont see having a heartfelt approach to not killing other creatures that can cause disease instead of finding alternatives is crazy. I think of it as positive if someone genuinely (and sometimes I am cynical about PETA's activism and the real motives) has so much compassion that they can recognize these creatures are only doing what nature programmed them to do, to the extent that they will devise ways of protecting themselves without killing these creatures that we recognize as "pests".

I think sometimes it is about how open people can train their minds to be, and being willing to challenge all conventional wisdom.

I have no plans to stop killing mosquitoes and fleas, but I cant condemn the thinking either.

I don't comdemn the urge to take flies outside- I do that for spiders and mostly leave other bugs alone. I take issue with PETA's way of getting their message across- it is ineffective, alienating and ultimately, ridiculous.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.