Has anyone out there bought Turbo Jam

Davidj

Cathlete
Has anyone out there bought the Turbo Jam Workout? I accidently channel surfed onto a TJ infomercial -- at 5:00am on a Saturday morning. Much of it seemed misleading (the instantaneous lost inches, "If you call in the next four minutes...etc...). But I am interested in the weighted gloves, actually.

The web page for this workout is sparse and unenlightening:
http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/turbo_jam_maximum_results.do?code=TURBOJAMDOTCOM

I am trying to build up my beginner-intermediate aerobics collection.
-- Davidj

I don't know about losing inches but it is a very fun set of workouts I actually did Turbo Sculpt this weekend and loved it.

I traded some of my old workout DVDs for a Turbo Jam workout DVD on the Video Fitness exchange forum, and i love it. I also have a quick "fat blaster" turbo jam workout on my Chalean Extreme set. I usually do it a couple of times a month for my cardio one day. It's very fun, and if you use weighted gloves, it's a great arm workout. I really enjoy them. Great music too. :)

DavidJ:

What exactly would you like to know in regards to the gloves and/or "TurboJam"? The weighted gloves can be purchased separately. The workout costs the same regardless of whether or not you buy it in the next four minutes... The workouts can be fun, if you get the hang of the routines. Cathe's step routines are going to burn just as many or more calories. I can answer your questions, and will do so truthfully and not try to sell you a doohicky-thingamajig in the process (just put the questions out there).

~ Kim

I have some Turbo Jam workouts and I really don't use them or like them much. I can never figure out what side of the body she is on or what she's doing and Chalene's particular brand of peppiness gets somewhat old pretty quick.

Just got these and i LOVE them. They can be an intense or as easy as you like. Mine came with the gloves which weigh 13 oz. the first time I did these I did it with the gloves and them took them off, just trying to get the moves down. Yes, Chalene has her quirks, but I think the workout is so fun that I can overlook them. The form is not great, but the purpose isn´t good boxing/kickbox form, but overall calorie burn and ab focus. I never pay attention to the "lost inches" propaganda, because that is mostly diet.

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I will buy one used off of Amazon, to see what they are like.
Kim: Thanks. After some noodling around the Beachbody site, I found out how to order the gloves separately:
http://www.beachbody.com/category/fitness_gear/turbo_jam_gear.do

I like Cathe's strength DVD's (including STS), the best videos going, but I find her aerobics DVD's too difficult and complex. I can only make all the way through two of her step videos. This is especially frustrating, for Cathe's interval training DVDs. The strength parts are lots of fun, but the aerobic sections are too complicated for me. I would like for her to market some beginner-intermediate interval training stuff. I say this realizing that she made her mark specializing in advanced (superadvanced?) videos.
-- Davidj

I have many good friends that love Turbojam and Love Chalene. In fact they have become turbojam instructors. And one of the things they love about her is her personality and the fact that her workouts are a bit less intense than Cathe so they feel they can do Chalene workouts most days, whereas other days they have to feel "up" to Cathe.

That being said, I personally don't like Chalene or her turbojam workouts. I found them to be too easy for me and her personality really annoyed me. I gave away my turbojam dvds because I never used them. I didn't burn enough calories in a workout to make it worthwhile. I much prefer Cathe.

I think it is great to try new instructors out for yourself though, because everyone is different.

One more note though is that my friends said that the gloves weren't made well and fell apart quickly. They recommend Cathe's gloves.

I have them. They are fun, but I wouldn't like doing them all of the time. It is very repetitive to me. But, Chalene is fun. Good to have in your collection, but not a top for me.

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I will buy one used off of Amazon, to see what they are like.

I like Cathe's strength DVD's (including STS), the best videos going, but I find her aerobics DVD's too difficult and complex. I can only make all the way through two of her step videos. This is especially frustrating, for Cathe's interval training DVDs. The strength parts are lots of fun, but the aerobic sections are too complicated for me. I would like for her to market some beginner-intermediate interval training stuff. I say this realizing that she made her mark specializing in advanced (superadvanced?) videos.
-- Davidj

David:

If you find Cathe's cardio routines complicated, you may find Chalene somewhat similar in style, only in that they do the moves in the same 1-2-3-4-5, 1-2-3-4-5, 1-2-3-4-5 form. If that is what you find complex or difficult with Cathe, you will find the same issues with Chalene. Keep in mind, Cathe has videos for beginners, Basic Step & Body Fusion and Low Impact Step & Total Body Sculpting.

If you are looking for a different style, consider some of Tony's "P90 Masters" (which can be ordered individually ~ they are a little more than beginner level, but not quite hard core) or "P90X+" (unfortunately, they have to be ordered together, but there are two good cardio routines... "Interval X+" and "Cardio/Kenpo Plus"). The only reason I mention him is his style of moves are 1-1-1-1-1, 2-2-2-2-2, 3-3-3-3-3, etc. There is less choreography with the moves, but they will still get your heart rate moving. That said, Cathe has some aerobic routines that are more of a 1-1-1-1-1, 2-2-2-2-2, 3-3-3-3-3 type of moves. HiiT and Drill Max will get your heart rate moving, but are easier to follow considering there is less dance type moves.

I long to be able to follow Cathe's step routines, but fear my two left feet and lack of coordination get in the way.

I hope that helps answer some of your questions.

~ Kim

P.S. Though Tae Bo has kind of been swept under a rug, the workouts will get you moving without too many difficulties (as long as you can handle Billy's shorts :eek:).

I have her turbojam workouts and I love her enthusiasm and the music. I also have her turbokick workouts, the choreography is more difficult, but the fun factor is great and you get a tougher workout than with the turbojam.

I did. I like the workouts but the weighted gloves that come with it didn't last very long. They're pretty cheaply made. Not long after I got them, sand started pouring out from the seams. Totally ruined.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.