HARDCORE FITNESS MANIACS TUES 10/20

buttercup78

Cathlete
GM MANIACS-
Yesterday was the new Jari Love video. Workout was 70 min and I burned...1037 calories !!!!!!!!! I am figuring a 20% variance in my hr monitor, so that would be around 824 calories. I have mild DOMS and really enjoyed the workout overall. I've seen clips of her other videos and she annoyed me in them, but she did not really bother me in this video.
Today is cardio, I have not decided what yet. Eats were ok yesterday. I brought a flatbread wrap for lunch, but the flatbread was disgusting from being defrosted, so I got chickfila.

Linda-I'm interested in your rotation, what will you be doing exactly? Are you feeling better?

Debbie-has your Mom seen her freshlly painted kitchen yet?

Theresa

Last edited:
Today was cardio and truthfully, I had no desire to do any cardio. It took all I had to get on my treadmill and do Cardio Coach #6 with Candace. I didn't give it my all, in fact, I barely hit my level 3. But at least I did something. I could have easily slept in this morning.

HR STATS:
57 minutes total
6 minutes below zone
23 minutes in zone
29 minutes above zone
3.25 miles travelled
442 calories burned

Stats look really good knowing the effort I put into this workout. :rofl:

Where are Sonya's pics? I missed them somehow.

I tried that HR monitor again
icon_confused.gif
I changed my settings and put my activity level at moderate instead of high. Then I did Amy's Kickbox surge. I wore my weight gloves and really tried to kick it up. I swear I was pouring sweat(don't tell Jari
icon_lol.gif
she gives that one woman such a hard time about sweating throughout extremely ripped) The monitor had me at a max hr of 154 and something like 85 avg??
icon_eek.gif
Anyway I only burned 345 calories and the workout was 1 h 14 minutes. With my polar HR monitor when I do that workout my my calorie burn is usually around 590. So, I changed it back to my activity level as advanced and did Kelly Coffey's 30 minutes to fitness bootcamp premix cardio session workout was 30 minutes and again HR max was 154 29 minutes in my zone and I burned 197 calories. With the Polar HR monitor it was around 315 calories. I then kept at it because I always have a goal of burning at least 550 calories so I can eat around 2000 calories a day(I know I am probably weird but I find I usually average about the same amount of calories all of the time); So I went on and did Amy's 10 minutes solution 5 day get fit kickbox 10 minutes and burned 79 calories which is close to what I usually burn except I did not wear the gloves and I think the hr monitor was running while the dvd was loading, I followed with the fat burner segment 10 minutes and the power yoga 11 minutes and burned another 94 calories. Anyway todays calories using the new hr monitor was 715 and I worked my rear off. I was literally slipping on my yoga mat in puddles which is not normal for me, but I was determined that the HR Monitor was going to show some calories burned. I think I need to take it back before I keel over or something. I get too obseesive with things like that. I want another just like I had. I know that my Polar was pretty accurate because I could take my pulse and compare. Also the calorie burns worked for me when I did calories in and calories out on my fitness pal.

Theresa, the 800 calorie range is where I expected Extremely Ripped 1000 to be for me too. I will do it again Friday and try my Polar hr monitor. I think Jari is a lot less annoying in this one and Extremely Ripped. Extremely Ripped she does keep making the sweating comments and I do wish she didn't feel the need to talk about the women having babies and so many kids. She acts like that is not such a wonderful thing. That annoys me. But I love these two workouts because I get some weights and burn lots of calories at the same time.

Debbie, I think I figured out some of the things on this hr monitor but I feel it is still not accurate for me. The beeping finally quit yesterday after it was off for awhile. I went back this morning and checked all of the settings and turned the above zone which is the only place I had it set to beep. It hasn't beeped since. I don't know why it was still beeping when I had it off and the screen off yesterday.

Awww...thanks Diane Sue. I kinda quit dropping in because the only people who ever acknowleged my existence were you and Hermia. Everyone else would post all day long and never even say hello. So it was kind of pointless. I just figured I could keep up with you on e-mail. There are a lot of great, supportive women (like you) on BB.com and I've learned SO MUCH!

I'm currently doing a workout plan that I found from
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/SherriLG/
It's listed under her Workout Program if you scroll down on her page. You have to click on it to see it all. She's got a great story too from where she started. I'm not doing the drop sets though. Just the straight lifting portion. And I combine the arms with the shoulders since I'm still healing my "other" shoulder now and limit my shoulder exercises. :eek: I do a TON of weighted ab work and do that at the gym where I work on my lunch hour. I reeeeally want a 6-pack. You know what they say, abs are made in the kitchen so I stick to a very clean diet except on Saturdays. I eat similar to the way Sonya eats.

I'm having a hysterectomy (but keeping my ovaries - and I think I told you this) on Dec. 8th so I'm trying to stay lean at the moment and getting as much muscle, without injuries, as I can. I can't lift for 3 weeks but I can do cardio right after.

Starting in January I'll be working with this guy online to build more muscle:
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/stevep78/
I've only been marginally successful on my own. I especially like the results the women get with their legs. I can't seem to eat enough to gain enough and he will tell me exactly what to eat and when. The cardio kills me. But if I don't do enough I swear that dreaded cellulite likes to come and visit me! :( He will monitor me and adjust my program as needed. So I'm really excited about working with him.

So that's it. I'm loving how far my body has come. It's been a lot of trial and error. I've gotten so much stronger but also had to listen to my body about injuries. I think I have inherited my dad's bad joints :mad: if that is possible. So I just lift smart, which can be tough sometimes!

Hope everyone is well!

This must be reunion day! :)

Thank you to everyone for the kind words. I have to say the comp really was alot of fun. I plan on doing a few more in 2010 and will see after that. I will do the SF Championship again next year in October because I do have something to prove! I started my bulking plan with Olesya yesterday. Will bulk for 3 three months so hoping to pack on some major muscle!

Diane Sue....so after being on my rest week and indulging a bit much in some extra sweets I did a low carb day yesterday and again today and then will start my carb cycling and diet plan Olesya has outline for me.
My eats yesterday were:
M1: eggwhites/oatmeal
M2: protein shake
M3: chicken/brown rice/ 1tbs salsa
M4: apple (pre-workout) + vasacor
M5: post-workout drink
M6: flank steak/mixed greens w/green onions and bellpepper
M7: eggwhites/almonds

Todays eats:
M1: eggwhites/oatmeal
M2: protein shake/banana
M3: tuna/rice cakes/cucumber
M4: post workout drink
M5: shrimp/mixed greens
M6: eggwhites/almonds

I do a TON of weighted ab work and do that at the gym where I work on my lunch hour. I reeeeally want a 6-pack. You know what they say, abs are made in the kitchen so I stick to a very clean diet except on Saturdays. I eat similar to the way Sonya eats.

Suz abs look AMAZING! She has a 6 pack!!!!!! I totally agree...abs are made in the kitchen! I will be sad to see mine go with bulking....but they will be back!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Debbie, I think I figured out some of the things on this hr monitor but I feel it is still not accurate for me. The beeping finally quit yesterday after it was off for awhile. I went back this morning and checked all of the settings and turned the above zone which is the only place I had it set to beep. It hasn't beeped since. I don't know why it was still beeping when I had it off and the screen off yesterday.

Diane Sue - I read your workout post and I agree, you might want to get another Polar. I don't think this HRM is for you. You are going to give yourself a heart attack working out that much. It's not worth it just to see a set of numbers, you know? Now with my Sportline, I get a HUGE calorie burn with all my workouts. When I had my Polar or the Nike one I had, I'd only average around 300 calories with a one hour workout. Now it's up as high as 480 to 500 depending on what workout I do. Glad you figured out the beeping. Let me know what you decide. I say get another Polar. You liked it, it worked well for you and you know how to use it. It's worth the cost.

Suz - Good to see you posting and like Diane Sue said yesterday, we'd like you to post more often (Sonya too). It's frustrating when you only come on here once a month or so. How can we reply if we think you aren't even going to be here to see what we wrote?

Is there any way you can send me a breakdown of that rotation you have posted? I can't go to bb.com anymore. You can email it to me if you want, I think you have my email address.

It's good seeing you, you look amazing!

Suz, great to have you check in again. I am sorry that you feel like others are not talking to you. Sometimes I post for days and no one says anything. But, I gain some knowledge and get ideas for what I want to do. I like seeing what the other women are putting together:) A lot of times I think my posts are just missed or they are too long and people don't have the time to read them. I do tend to blab away LOL I don't think that anyone intentionally ignores people though. I am sure I miss some of the posts when I am busy.
It looks like ShariLG could show you how to get that lower body muscle. She has it down:) I just noticed that you said her workout is there too so will have to go back and look.
I read over Steve P's profile. I like that on his goals he has to be the best father that he can be:D
Eats are not my best thing either. I start trying to follow what I know I should do then end up slacking off because it is time consuming, or what I need to eat isn't handy. I really like the results best with weighted ab work. But, I try to mix it up a little so I get all types of training. You look like you are well on your way to attaining your goals;)

Suz Max-you do look great !!! I hope you feel welcome to post whenever you want.

Sonya-what is vasacor? do you follow this type of diet reguarly (I know you will be bulking soon-so it will change). do you tend to put on muscle easily? the reason I ask is because I am sitting behind a layer of fat that is very stubborn especially in my abdominal region.

Diane Sue- I feel the same way about posting sometimes. I know I am relatively new to the group, but I will continue to post away. Sometimes it's very difficult for me to get back during the day and there is usually not much activity in the evening.

It's nice to see such buff ladies today :)

theresa

I just got finished posting to Suz, and here are more posts:D

Sonya, great to have you post again. You have such dedication. Thanks for sharing your meals. I can't wait to see your 2010 results:D I bet you will look awesome. They gave you a challenge to set new goals:) I think that is great. I think we all need that break once in awhile to indulge. When I do, I get back in there and start cleaning it up. Not as well as you do though:) Most of the time I can go out and find something sort of clean. Even dh did when he was doing Adkins and went to the local diner. Although they are nice and more than willing to grill up a couple of chicken breasts and veggies or whatever you want. Their specialty is chinese food though. I go there and get steamed veggies and chicken quite often. So I am curious what you eat when bulking. Do you add more carbs?
I have been using the Eat Clean cookbooks and have stocked up on a lot of healthy grains and stuff but it seems I am looking softer than when I keep up with eating mostly veggies and proteins. I get away with it occaisionally though and feel like I need some of it for health reasons.

Debbie, I think I am going to return the HR monitor. Maybe it is just each individual unit is different and that is why yours gives you better burns etc.. It seemed to work well. I never saw it lose my pulse once. The first one I purchased which was a Nike made me crazy like that. I ended up with sore knees from trying to jump higher and do whatever I could to get my hr up and calorie burn up. I was working on the wood floor in our office at the time. I had to pin the strap on that one to make it tighter. I took it back. I think your calorie burns sound pretty accurate for the workouts that you are doing. I write mine in a notebook for each workout that I keep to reference after I figure out what my average calorie burn is from doing the workout several times. I guess I should enter hr's in it too.

Theresa, I am usually here in the evenings. I always do a quick check before I go to bed at night.

Morning Maniacs -

I did Rev Abs this morning. Rev Abs Cardio plus cardio portions of Rev Abs - Power Intervals. Workout was 65" and I burned 750 calories. Max heartrate was 164. Had a really good lower impact workout.

I also did Kundalini Yoga - AM section from Nivrair Singh. Needed more stretching, but I have to go to the doc's in a bit.

Rev Abs was fun. I need to preview more of them, but I think most of them combine weights and cardio and right now, I think I'm doing Action Hero for weights. I also need the instructor to "grow" on me a bit....as I'm not sure I really like him...but it just might be that I need to get used to him.

Have a great day everyone.

Theresa - I'm usually around in the evenings, but I never post cuz it seems like everyone posts in the AM. Ever since I got my current job in retail....I'm around more in the evenings. I can't post all day either, as I don't have a computer since I'm working a retail/sales job.

Last edited:
Sonya-what is vasacor? do you follow this type of diet reguarly (I know you will be bulking soon-so it will change). do you tend to put on muscle easily? the reason I ask is because I am sitting behind a layer of fat that is very stubborn especially in my abdominal region. theresa

Theresa...vasacor is my pre-workout drink that has kre-alkyln, L-argnine, beta-alinine, tons of B vitamins and other supplements that give you that pump and extra burst of energy to work through the grueling workouts! :)

The diet I will do for bulking is similar to my comp diet I will just get to eat alot more! :p Yes, I follow this type of diet regularly.

My advice (hope you don't mind me giving) in regards to abdominal fat is to really watch your carb intake and do HITT. Not sure what type of cardio you are currently doing but I highly recommend HIIT to burn extra calories!

I just got finished posting to Suz, and here are more posts:D

Sonya, great to have you post again. You have such dedication. Thanks for sharing your meals. I can't wait to see your 2010 results:D I bet you will look awesome. They gave you a challenge to set new goals:) I think that is great. I think we all need that break once in awhile to indulge. When I do, I get back in there and start cleaning it up. Not as well as you do though:) Most of the time I can go out and find something sort of clean. Even dh did when he was doing Adkins and went to the local diner. Although they are nice and more than willing to grill up a couple of chicken breasts and veggies or whatever you want. Their specialty is chinese food though. I go there and get steamed veggies and chicken quite often. So I am curious what you eat when bulking. Do you add more carbs?
I have been using the Eat Clean cookbooks and have stocked up on a lot of healthy grains and stuff but it seems I am looking softer than when I keep up with eating mostly veggies and proteins. I get away with it occaisionally though and feel like I need some of it for health reasons.

Diane Sue...when bulking yes, I eat the same things... just more and yes more carbs. I send Olesya progress pics and stats weekly and she adjusts accordingly. Ya know before I started working with Olesya I ate clean too but to get that physique I wanted (like those figure athletes!) I had to eat 'squeaky" clean! LOL! No bread or dairy for me.

Sonya-
Yes thanks for the advice-I'll take all I can get. Cardio is jogging, kickbox, cathe's step workouts, or plyo. I need to work a true HIIT at least once a week, but kind of lose steam by the end of the week. I need to get "squeaky" clean on my diet, but have failed to do so. No greek yogurt, nothing? You do look amazing though, giving up dairy and carbs sure did pay off. If I may ask, what type of workout program do you follow? do you do splits, one body part per day, total body, etc?

Lora-Is rev abs new?

Diane Sue and Lora-I will try to check more in the evenings now that I know others will see. Evenings are when I work out, as I can barely walk or speak in the a.m. :)

Theresa

I took the hr monitor back and got a polar f6. I went to Academy Sports and there were no f11 's like I had. Got a pink one:D

Sonya, I have a hard time giving up dairy. When I do I look better. Most of it is yogurt, kefir, and cottage cheese. Cottage cheese has so much sodium in it though. I really do need to do that too.

Lora, I have had my eye on Rev Abs but kind of wanted to read more reviews before I am willing to take the plunge. So it has cardio too? I gather it is not just abs. They want an awful lot for it, but I guess it is several workouts though. You got a nice calorie burn with it.

Theresa, I usually stumble out of the bedroom in the mornings half asleep and am no good till I have had at least 1 cup of coffee. Then I workout.

Theresa.....when I was training for the comp I did fullbody workouts, plyometrics and HIIT. As the comp got closer we added in hill sprints, 10 min SS cardio after my HIIT and 10 minutes cardio after FB w/outs. Right now with bulking I am doing splits but with lots of compound lifts. I do 2 days of any type of cardio I want for 30 minutes.

Thanks Theresa! And I'll pipe in and say that although I have a hard time gaining weight that when I do want to lean out quickly I drop my carbs...like any breads (I only eat 100% WW & try to limit to 1 piece a day) and I'll even cut down on oatmeal for a few days. And I do a little extra cardio. I do mostly HIIT and I LOVE hill sprints! Works wonders for me.

Diane Sue - I think you had asked about mixing some things?? One of the things I learned from Ava Cowan on BB - Protein Pancakes - 1/2 cup oatmeal and 5 egg whites (I use 6). Mix together and spray a pan with olive oil spray and cook like a pancake. You can use 1/4 cup of sugar free syrup if you want (I do but Sonya wouldn't - hehe). I also top with 99 oz of blueberries. YUM!!!

Another thing I have every day is a protein shake - 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 & 1/2 scoops protein powder, water (of course), 1 tsp. creatine, 1 heaping tsp. flaxseed and 1 tsp. macadamia nut oil (or you could use olive oil I suppose). I love this shake after my workout!

Debbie - I guess I just felt like whenever I would post that I would post multiple times in the same day and still nobody but Diane Sue and Hermia would respond. You and Linda and Lora would write back and forth and never say a word to me even though I was obviously here. It was also hard to post my workouts and weight lifted every day and anything else was just chatter. And we ALL know how much I can chatter. :p

Sonya-stupid question here, but what is SS cardio? Also, with hill sprints is it on the treadmill, I'm assuming? Do you mind sharing your breakdown (like 30 sec hill sprint, 30 sec walk...if I am even close). Here is what I was planning on doing for a few weeks at least, any comments would be appreciated (this is to all the lovely ladies on the forum) :)

M-total body circuit (like Jari Love, kettlebell, Cathe's boot camy, bm2, High step, terminator)
Tu-cardio(40-60)
W-cardio (40-60)
th-total body circuit (again like listed above, also got one from MFH awhile back using a jump rope)
Fri-20-25 HIIT
Sat-total body (like muscle max or muscle endurance)
Sun-stretch

SuzMax-thanks for the tips and recipes. I LOVE protein pancakes, I really need to make those more :) I wish I had the trouble of not being able to put weight on, but I know it's just as much a challenge to gain as it is to lose.

Diane Sue- I have an F4 polar monitor, it is simple and easy to use. I am beginning to think it may overestimate my calorie burn a bit though. Have you encountered that with the Polar?

Theresa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.