Hard Strikes = foot pain?

JULSCARVER

Cathlete
Despite trying different shoes and orthotics my feet consistently hurt/ache throughout this workout. Anybody have any thoughts?
I have no problems with other high impact workouts such as tabatas, etc... Other kickboxing workouts don't bother me either.
I used to being on my feet, work 12 hour night shifts as an ER nurse.
I am perplexed.

My feet always used to hurt when I worked out, I switched to the vibram 5 fingers and can w/o now pain free. It takes a little time to get used to them but I cannot imagine wearing sneakers now.

My foot hurts too. Mostly a uncomfortable tingly sensation from my middle toe. I don't know why and do not have this problem doing any other Cathe's DVDs. I'm not a kickboxing (KB) fan, but this problem makes it more difficult to even try to like it. So the days I'm to do the KB to do the Tabacise DVD. I'll try another pair of shoes next time to see if that makes a difference.:confused:

That's a bummer :( I adore Hard Strikes! Maybe you should try omitting some of the shuffles and jump ropes. Think your arches are taking too much of a beating?

My foot hurts too. Mostly a uncomfortable tingly sensation from my middle toe. I don't know why and do not have this problem doing any other Cathe's DVDs. I'm not a kickboxing (KB) fan, but this problem makes it more difficult to even try to like it. So the days I'm to do the KB to do the Tabacise DVD. I'll try another pair of shoes next time to see if that makes a difference.:confused:

I am having this EXACT issue as well. Tingly middle toes - very weird...
Paula

My feet always used to hurt when I worked out, I switched to the vibram 5 fingers and can w/o now pain free. It takes a little time to get used to them but I cannot imagine wearing sneakers now.

I would caution people who move to 5 fingers. I hurt my achilles exercising in them and a friend who is a runner fractured her foot running in them. My friend's ortho told her that many people are injured running and exercising since their feet are not used to 'barefoot/minimal shoe' usage and that it takes
months or even a year or more to transition safely.

Just my two cents, but everyone is different.

Best,
-Michele

I have that same problem which really bites because I love the workout! It's always towards the arch of my foot that hurts for some reason. Just like everyone else, it's the only workout that I have that causes pain in this area. I have tried and tried to figure out why I'm at a loss as well. Although I don't wish pain on anyone, it's kinda nice to know I'm not the only one experiencing this.

It's the hundreds of freakin' jumping jacks and those skier things. I just can't do them all, so don't. I also don't change direction on the ones I do. That's my only disappointment with that workout is that it is so high impact - especially on the feet and knees - and it's the same two moves over and over and over. It gets painful. I just put in some shuffles, or triple steps, or low jogs or whatever to minimize that and I find it helps. And it doesn't lessen the workout in any way either.

I find that my calves tighten up, which causes foot pain for me (feels like the early stages of plantar fasciitis, which I had a couple of years ago). I stretch them really well to try to avoid foot pain but if it strikes, I substitute other moves like NY25.

Stebby

Yes, I have that foot pain, too, on the balls of my feet and toes. It feels like the shuffles that do it. I've switched to my higher-impact shoes for Hard Strikes, and it helps a little bit.

Thanks to all of your posts, I do a lot of hard strikes on my rebounder - I don't want to do anything that might hurt my feet.

My feet have started to cramp and I think it is from the jumping jacks as well. I can do other high impact moves and they don't both me but now when I do jacks my feet start to cramp so I just sub for another move.

I still love the workout but just have to do something a little different instead of all the jacks :)

I wonder if doing Cathe's barre workouts will help all the folks who have calf/feet issues with all the jumping jacks? The high & tight sections, particular the double-leg barre segment of LBB, have done wonders for strengthening my lower legs and feet.

I'd like to add one other thing to consider. I have some foot problems, too, and have started to work out on a carpeted area that only has wood as its base (it's a raised area of the living room). No concrete flooring underneath. It's a little more springy and helps my feet and knees, especially with high impact moves. Give it a try if you have an area similar to that, or can create one.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.