Greek Yogurt

jancpa

Cathlete
After reading about the benefits of greek yogurt (mainly the high protein), I finally went ahead and bought Fage 0% nonfat plain yogurt. It was so terrible that I had to throw it away. Is there a better brand, should I have bought the 2%, should I have bought it flavored? I know so many people that love greek yogurt but I honestly do not see how anyone can like it. Is it me??? I found it to be sour and tart. I really want to like it but at this point, I'd rather drink a protein shake.

Hi - I actually dislike all yogurt in general, however, I finally found one that suits my taste - Trader Joe's Greek Non-fat Plain yogurt. It isn't too sour and I actually like it (huge leap for me). I eat it with mixed berries, tsp of granola and a squeeze of honey. It's really good.

When I used to eat dairy, I really liked the Fage 2% but I couldn't stand the Fage 0%, so you might want to give the 2% a try. The creaminess of having just that bit of fat in it cut the sour/tart flavor a lot. Also I couldn't eat it plain, but with fruit or granola or a little sweetener, or any combination of these, I really liked it. My husband loves the 2% with honey.

I eat Carbmaster yogurt (Kroger brand). I think it has less carbs than the Greek yougurt and I love all the flavors

I think it's a matter of taste, probably, and you just don't like that plain sour taste. I doubt the 2% would be any more appealing to you. I like it, but I also really like Sigi's Icelandic yogurt -- also thick, and it comes in a ginger flavor I just love. All the flavors they make are pretty subtle.

Another vote for Trader Joe's Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt. I like that one the best, but I do think that Greek yogurt is an acquired taste and is most palatable when paired with something (fruit, nuts, cereal/granola). I also like to put a dollop into my protein shakes or smoothies for extra creaminess.

I have read some good reviews about the flavored Greek yogurts, but I have never tried them because I want to avoid the added sugars.

Lisa, if you see the Sigi's and want to try a flavored, go with that -- there's not much added sugar. The greek yogurt in general is pretty high in sugar to start, because of the concentrated milk, so yeah, I know what you mean!

I love yogurt, but only the flavored ones, so, when I started eating clean, I went to the greek plain 0 fat yogurt. I never eat it plain. I always add fresh fruit, wheat germ, flax seed and bee pollen. I mix it up and it's wonderful and I don't have to worry about added sugars, artificial flavoring or coloring.

I had "issues" with trying to like Greek Yogurt as well ,the Fage was much too rich and intense in flavor for me. I have been really enjoying Trader Joes Vanilla greek yogurt . I usually buy it for my Husband but decided to give it a whirl and love it with fresh blueberries :). I have hijacked his favorite snack , lol

It definitely takes some getting used to. If I were you, I'd try the flavored greek yogurts. Chobani has some excellent flavored ones!

I used to be a Yoplait girl, so going to Greek yogurt was a HUGE change and took me a while to get used to it. Now I could never EVER eat one of those presweetened Yoplaits. They're so thin and watery and so sickening sweet!

Another thing I do with my plain greek yogurt is mix about a tablespoon of sugar free instant flavored pudding mix in it (cheesecake and vanilla are good). and then mix in fruit. Fresh or thawed frozen.

I have tried greek yogurt several times and just can't get into it. No matter how much stuff I add I just don't like it. For now I've pretty much given up on it.

I had the same reaction to the greek yogurt - the only way I eat it is by putting it in my protein shakes. Otherwise, I can't tolerate the tartness. I do find that the Chobani is less tart ... and I'm heading to Trader Joes this week to try their greek yogurt.

Lisa, if you see the Sigi's and want to try a flavored, go with that -- there's not much added sugar. The greek yogurt in general is pretty high in sugar to start, because of the concentrated milk, so yeah, I know what you mean!

Thanks for the tip! I just looked up the info on Siggi's, and their flavored yogurts only have about 5 or 6 more grams of sugar than the plain flavor, which is definitely not much compared to the difference between most plain and flavored Greek yogurts.

I like yogurt in general and frequently make my own but I cannot get into Greek yogurt. It is just too thick. Feels like I am eating sour cream and I don't like sour cream at all. I like plain yogurt with maybe some fruit and a drizzle of maple syrup or just with nothing at all.

We don't get the Fage brand here, but I have tried Oikos, Dannon and Yoplait nonfat plain Greek yogurts. I prefer the Oikos (I won't ever buy the Yoplait again) but I do like my yogurt a little tart.

Sometimes, I will drizzle a little honey over it- yes, it is a sugar and yes, it adds a few calories, but not too many. I think that it is really good!

Perhaps it's an acquired taste. I love plain greek yogurt but i grew up eating the stuff since my Dad is greek.

Both of my sister-in-laws who did not grow up eating it don't like it. They also don't like kalamata olives (yummy!).

I cannot stand the fruit flavoured "runny" consistency of the more commercial brands like yoplait. To me they taste horrible and "artificial".:p To each his own.

Hi Jancpa! Here is a yummy recipe from our Healthy Recipe section that you might like to try with this yogurt:

http://cathe.com/recipe-9

After reading about the benefits of greek yogurt (mainly the high protein), I finally went ahead and bought Fage 0% nonfat plain yogurt. It was so terrible that I had to throw it away. Is there a better brand, should I have bought the 2%, should I have bought it flavored? I know so many people that love greek yogurt but I honestly do not see how anyone can like it. Is it me??? I found it to be sour and tart. I really want to like it but at this point, I'd rather drink a protein shake.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.