Got my blood test results back today from Nuchal Transl...

dani21496

Cathlete
Phew!

I got my blood test results back from the nuchal translucency screening. The nurse from Fetal Medicine just called me and said my numbers came back excellent.

My chances for Down’s before the screening being 39 years old was 1/99.
After the screening my chances are now 1/1961!! That’s better than someone who’s 20 yrs old!!!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

My chances of other types of chromosome abnormalities (Trisomy 18,13) before screening was 1/191. After my blood test and ultrasound, my chances are now 1/3801!!!

Sooooooooo relieved!! I would have still loved this baby no matter what, but it's a big relief knowing that he or she is okay. I was worried because of my age.

:) :)

Take that advanced maternal age!! :p

Here are my latest ultrasound pictures from 13 weeks 1 day:

http://danid.smugmug.com/photos/243562269-S.jpg

http://danid.smugmug.com/photos/243562241-S.jpg

Congratulations, Dani. I am also 39, and 31 weeks prego. I opted not to have any tests done, other than normal ultrasound. But, it sure is a relief when it comes back with such amazing results! :)

Love your ultrasound pictures! Have a blessed pregnancy.

Ann Marie

Wow! I've never heard of a nuchal translucency screening test. What does it entail? Is it like an amnios?
Congrats on the great results! :D

~Melanie~

Jadon born 11/23/05
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94

glad that your test came back ok. I also opted not to have any of those tests done,(except the level 2 ultra sound). I am 37 years old, so far everything is ok.
Suzette

Melanie- the nuchal test is relatively new and only available through certain hospitals (there's only one in my city that offers it). It is an ultrasound measurement of the fetus' neck combined with blood work from mom. It's done between 11-13 weeks and a lot more accurate at screening for certain trisomies than the triple screen. I opted to take part because it has way fewer false positives than the triple screen (and it was fun to get a peek of baby!). Back in 2005 when our kids were born, it was recommended for women over 35, but the tech told me it's now offered to all women regardless of age (in my area anyway).

>your baby looks beautiful. i am glad things are going well.
>how do you feel?

Thank you so much! I'm starting to get a little energy back. Thank goodness. The first trimester was a blur because of how exhausted I was. I've never been that fatigued before.

Thank you everyone!! :) :)

My next big ultrasound is on March 4th! We're going to find out the gender! Can't wait!

ETA: I added my baby blog to my siggy below. :D

Dani,

I can't believe I didn't reply to this! I've been so out of it!

:eek:

Congratulations on such great news! You can't beat those odds! I didn't even know chances could get that good! And finding out the gender....oh my gosh, how exciting....I say BOY..and by the way....March 4 is my B-day!! Yipee!:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.