Goodbye AM workouts - Thoughts on last pm workouts

gonnabea5

Cathlete
I've been working out in the AM for decades. But, my wonderful new job makes that difficult. I need thoughts and ideas on after dinner workouts. Please and thank you.

How long do you workout in the evenings?
How long do the endorphins hand around?
Does it interfere with sleep?
How do you feel in the AM when you workout at night?
Do you have a small snack before bed?

I get up very early for work so I've never had time to work out in the AM. I usually exercise for about an hour in the evening, something like from 5-6 or 5:30-6:30, depending on my schedule. I can't say for sure how long the endorphins last, but I usually am in a great mood for the rest of the night. I eat dinner around 7 and try to be in bed by 9:30-10 so no real time for a snack before bed. It has never interfered with my sleep, but then again, nothing has ever interfered with me sleeping (really bugs my husband with sleeping problems that I can fall asleep at the drop of a dime :D). I always feel fine and well-rested in the morning. I think it is something you could get used to doing in the evening once you establish a routine. I would say the one issue would be if "life" would get in the way of you getting an evening workout accomplished...events, kids, etc. I have established with everyone that that is my "me" time and nothing short of an emergency gets in the way of me getting my sweat on!

I worked out in the morning for decades. I found lately, that I have more energy, and I'm more warmed-up in the evening. I loved working out in the morning. I was done for the day. Didn't think about it all day. Evenings are working better for me now. (I'm definitely getting older) I'm doing a kettlebell program, and evenings are the better option. Hasn't caused any problems with sleep. I usually fall into bed.

I am also one that made the transition from AM to PM workouts. I just can't be trusted with heavy weights when I'm groggy and my joints feel better if I give them some time before making demands. My perfect workout time is about 2 hours after breakfast; however, I have to work during the day, so I settle for working out when I get home in the evening. It is sometimes tough to do after a long day; tired, hungry, want to work on hobbies/projects, but like Catwoman7631 I have made this commitment to "me time". I have been doing PM workouts during the work week and mid AM workouts on weekends and holidays for about 12 years now...no problems falling asleep!

I like my evening workouts! I have never been a morning person and I have to be to work at 6:30 am, so I just do not have the time. :)

How long do you workout in the evenings? Around an hour
How long do the endorphins hand around? For me the "glee factor" lasts about an hour after then I get in the shower and calm down. :)
Does it interfere with sleep? Nope...I sleep most nights like a rock
How do you feel in the AM when you workout at night? Dandy
Do you have a small snack before bed? I eat dinner about 7:30 pm and go to bed a couple of hours later. Not much time to snack. But whoa nelly..I am a hungry beast in the morning.

I've always worked out in the morning and will continue as long as I can. That might change over time. Like Nancy I get my best wkout in after being awake for a bit. So on the weekends I kick ass! But....when I workout in the evening I have alot of nutrition in me, I'm awake, alert and ready! So PM wkouts offer that extra energy you need for a great session. Plus, it always helps me sleep like a baby...I have issues slepping sometimes and working out seriously helps. All the frustrations of the day...gone! Also you're not pressed for time as much as you are in the morning. I always gave myself extra stretching after a PM wkout. In the morning i felt rested, which is a treat for me. Love it! Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
It is sometimes tough to do after a long day; tired, hungry, want to work on hobbies/projects, but like Catwoman7631 I have made this commitment to "me time"
This is me as well. It honestly is sometimes the only time I have without distractions. Plus, my schedule has just been turned upside down in the past 16 months, so rather than working against it, I have just tried to go WITH it more.

How long do you workout in the evenings? anywhere from 35 mins to 2.25 hours depending on what i am doing. They usually are under 70 mins though.
How long do the endorphins hand around? weights: more than an hour. cardio/metabolic: these don't really give me endorphins most of the time. lol. Plus I am more of a moderate walking cardio person which I do in the early evening.
Does it interfere with sleep? Usually, yes. But again ....this is how it's been going lately.
How do you feel in the AM when you workout at night? Excellent most of time.
Do you have a small snack before bed? I have a medium sized meal before bed. THIS is actually what has been making me feel more settled in the morning to be honest. I have noticed a change since I started eating before bed.

Just to add, the evenings is more definitely my preferred time for fascial massage/release. ( I mostly use balls, foam roller now and again).THIS does help me sleep and helps me to let go of any ongoing frustrations I may have had during the day. I tend to hold my frustrations in my neck and lats. I'm a weirdo like that!

Please let me know what works for you. In my younger days evening was my only workout time. With 2 children, working and going to school that's the only time I had. Now being older I found that working out in the evening disrupted my sleep because I had to get up and go to the bathroom from all the water I drank. I started a new job yesterday, going from working 15 mins from home to 50 mins one way. Plus, my job is mentally exhauting and unpredictable at times as to what time I may leave. Furthermore, all my family is in Maryland, including my oldest who's only 15 mins from my job. With all of this, thankfully, a few years ago I learned to start my day with working out. I have to get up by 4 am to ensure I give myself at least an hour. Doing it this way I'm now more likely to get my exercise in without being disrupted by unexpected work and personal issues and tasks and I'm sleeping through the night. So I'm not even sure if I'm open to doing evenings anymore, but I always like keeping my options open. I wish you the best.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Great thread...thanks for the question, Gonnabea5. I am an evening exerciser through and through. I have envy for those who can jump out of bed and get it done but I just can't get my body going before I eat and am awake for a bit.

I love working out after I have done all that is required of me for the day - I can truly relax and smile working out, knowing that I don't have to be doing anything else. I view my workouts as my reward for completing my day's work and I look forward to it throughout the day.

It does not interfere with my sleep as I go to bed happy and with a feeling of accomplishment. :) I do have to remember to drink lots through the day because if I don't I'm downing 2 liters of water during the workout and that's not good shortly before bed! :oops:

I have a small protein/carb snack to refuel following a weight based workout or if I feel hungry after a cardio based workout.

I like to have free time for other things in the evening so if I am doing a longer workout, I do it before supper (e.g. 5:30-7:00) but if I have a short workout planned or don't have as much time available, I'll do a quick workout about an hour after supper (e.g. 8:30-9:15). This always allows me at least a half hour for other relaxing pursuits each night.

If you have a tough time transitioning to your new routine, you may find an evening group exercise class helps. I find for myself that if I feel tired or not in the mood, the motivation that comes from the others in the class gives me the boost of energy I need.

Whether at home working out with Cathe, or at a local class, the first 5 minutes are the hardest. I tell myself to just make it through the first few minutes and then decide if I want to continue. Of course, once I get myself started I always want to keep going!

Good luck, Gonnabea5. Know that many of us are also jumping, lifting and sweating when you are.

I do my workouts after work around 6:00 p.m. My workouts can last anywhere from 35 minutes to an hour depending on what I'm doing that day. Working out in the evenings doesn't interfere with my sleep. I go to bed around 9:30 and fall asleep right away (a teaspoon of raw, unfiltered honey helps). I get up at 5:00 a.m. and although I'd rather sleep later, I have no problem getting up. I eat dinner after my workout so I don't have a snack before bed.

I love the idea of working out in the mornings so that I have my evenings free for my family and my other hobbies, but in reality when I workout in the mornings I have less energy and strength, I am more stressed for time and I cannot blast the music out of fear of waking the rest of the family. Furthermore, I tend to only last about 2-3 weeks with morning workouts before I get sick. So for me, it's avening workouts, except for weekends and days off, then I love a mid-morning workout.

How long do you workout in the evenings?
Anywhere between 30 min and 2 hours. Depending on many factors.
How long do the endorphins hang around? Not long. When I workout at night, that is like the end of my day so I give it my all. Then after my shower if I sit down to relax I have to keep myself busy by crocheting or actively doing stuff online. If I just sit to watch something or read I fall asleep within 15 min. By then I am exhausted and being a mom, fulltime employee and volunteer basketball trainer has drained me.
Does it interfere with sleep? Many things can interfere with sleep, but my workouts are not one of them. Quite the contrary, they make it even more likely that I fall asleep anywhere... even mid-day.
How do you feel in the AM when you workout at night? Fine, except that I am not a morning person.
Do you have a small snack before bed? I often have a glass of milk post workout, and if I lifted heavy, then I may add extra protein. Generally I don't eat afterwards though... except when I was doing BodyBeast, then I felt like a beast after my workout and wolfed down a shake and some fruit.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.