Going to get her wings

kblover

Cathlete
Hi all,

I just wanted to write about a friend of mine. her name is Jen.

She comes to my cardio kickboxing class every week, full of smiles and enthusiasm. With her short, round body and plain looks, she is far from gaining society's title of "beauty". Although the world will not allow her to bear this name, those of us who know her can call her nothing else but beautiful.

She is the first one to notice people when they come into a room. She is the first one to smile at them and run over to give them a hug. She is instant friends with everyone. She doesn't judge others, only looks for love and approval.

She has been in my class for three years and has always been my bright spot. I would come to class, after a long day at my day job and homework waiting for me after class, tired and worn. But Jen's love for life and class would eventually spill over into me, giving me the energy I needed to motivate everyone else.

Jen does have a problem...she is mentally challenged. Never before has this been a problem though. It is only a problem now because it has caused some changes in her health and just this past week, we found out that the doctors expect her to slip into a coma w/in 2 weeks and die shortly after that.

I cannot imagine class without my little ray of sunshine...I can only imagine what her family must feel. I would just ask that you keep all of them in prayer as I'm sure this is a very hard time for them.

I guess I also wanted to post this because I wanted everyone to know who she is and that she made a contribution to this world in such a wonderful way. I meet a lot of people who are scared to talk to people who are mentally challenged or who think they are weird. I am here to tell you that they are neither scary or weird. They really have so much to contribute and so much they can teach you about love and being nonjudgemental. I would encourage all of you to take another look at those who are mentally challenged and find out what you can learn from them. They want love and acceptance just as much as anyone else. Please don't be scared to talk with them or be in their lives (if possible). People are always worth the effort.

Thank you for listening,
Cheryl

Thank you so much for sharing! I enjoyed reading about her and would love to have the opportunity to meet her. She sounds like someone who just lights up the room by being there. What a special gift!

My prayers and thoughts to her, her family and you. That has to be tough.

We have a little ray of sunshine. My grandson who is mentally challenged. Almost 3 months old. Can't even imagine life without him now.

I'm sorry to hear about your little sunshine Jen. Please give her a hug for me, if you can.

(((((hugs and prayers her way)))))

Janie

What a touching story!!! It just goes to show you that in the end it's not what you have your what you do (job wise) but how you treat people. It is wonderful that she has left such an impression on you & many others it sounds like!

Will pray for her & her family!

Cheryl, thank you so much for your moving post. As the mother of a mentally challenged young man, and the grandmother of a severly handicapped 2 1/2 year old, I appreciate your sharing. While reading about Jen hugging the newcomers, I thought of my son, who also loves to hug.
The world is a better place because your friend, Jen, was in it. Please extend my sympathy to her family.

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. I will definitely pass your thoughts on to the family.

I so much wanted to find a way to keep her spirit alive. I want for people to know her as more then mentally challenged. So many people think that the mentally challenged are the ones who need to learn, yet, I found that it was I who needed to learn.

She taught me how to love with out judging and to enjoy life and not stress so much about things, but focus on people.

Janie, I only taught a class one night a week, and I'm sure buffettgirl would be a much better authority on this subject, but I just want to send you some encouragement. From talking with the other moms, I know there will be difficult times, but there are so many times of joy too. It's funny how one life can change so many people.

I will keep both you (Janie) and buffettgirl in my prayers. That you will have the strength and energy when you need it...I already see you have the joy :)

God bless you all for your kindness!

oh, how sweet, cheryl. i had a girl that took riding lessons for about 8 yrs. she was a fetal alchohol baby and was slightly retarded. she could not read or write, but boy, did she learn how to ride a horse. she was 12 when she started, and did not know anything. her fine motor skills were not good. but, by the time she quit riding, (only cuz she moved) she could saddle and ride any horse here. it was so cool to see her blossom. she was so proud of her accomplishments, and it helped her so much. she LOVED to talk and talked the whole time she was here. she was so funny. i would have to keep telling her to stay focused and get her horse saddled. she stillcalls occasionally. and , has ridden a few times in the last few years. she turned 26 in april. doesn't seem possible. but, it was a wonderful time, and i learned alot from her. i'm so sorry you're going to lose your ray of sunshine.
cathy

My heart goes out to Jen's family . . .

I am one who had a sibiling whose mental capabilities never went much farther than a 5 year old. He was the sweetest human you could ever meet. My brother also faced illness most of his 13 yr old life, but that never once stopped him from enjoying each and every day to the fullest.

I will always love the fact that these are "angels" here on earth - they can teach you the joys of life because that is all they see. They do not see the bad nor can they be tainted with ill attitudes - they live life as if it is pure - and that is what they are.

I hope that others will take the opportunity to spend time with these gifts if it ever comes along. Nothing will change your life more quickly than an experience with one of these "angels".

Thank you for sharing . . . I hope you have the opportunity to enjoy Jen a little longer and that she has a peaceful exit into heaven.

I will always love the fact that these are "angels" here on earth - they can teach you the joys of life because that is all they see. They do not see the bad nor can they be tainted with ill attitudes - they live life as if it is pure - and that is what they are.

Ironic that we call our highly intelligent peers "gifted", when I cannot imagine a more gifted existence than being able to see the joy in everyone and everything.

Your post is a lovely testament to Jen's character -- her glad heart and kind soul. I will hold her and her family in my prayers, and you, too.

Last edited:
What a wonderful person! My thoughts and prayers are with Jen and her family and all the people, like you, whom she touched so lovingly.

Tricia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.