Goals Besides "Getting Really Skinny"?

gypsymom

Cathlete
I am so struggling with setting myself a challenging and interesting goal, besides fitting into my skinny jeans. It's always there, but then there are times when I say,"So what? Who cares if I can fit into my skinny jeans or not?"

I used to compete in taekwondo, which kept me really fit, but I can't do that anymore. I've done 5ks, 10ks, and 1/2 maras, but I am just not a runner. My coworker thinks I should compete in a fitness competition, but I really don't like drawing attention to myself and wouldn't be able to get on stage. Plus, I don't think I could afford it.

Any suggestions or does anyone have any cool goals they would like to share?

I have been thinking the same thing this year. I am always trying to lose that last 10 pounds and eat less sugar. It gets old and makes me think I will never succeed. I decided this year to do something different. No resolutions, but goals. I discovered Mark Lauren's books and DVD programs and decided that this year my goal would be 5 one arm push ups (on the floor and on toes) and at least one pistol squat per leg with perfect form. I'm using his books to help me achieve that.

Funny. I've had the same struggles. I, too, have done 10k's and I've ran 3 half marathons. I am fit enough to endure it, but I am not a runner. I am 47 years old and I am in pretty good shape. I think anyone on these forums are amazing. No, I am not going to be fit like Cathe. I work in an office 40 hours a week and I enjoy things that probably keep me from being skinny. My career is not fitness. But, how many 47 year olds do you knoe who can do what we cathletes can do!? I say not many. And from what I see every day I know it's not many.

I'm also in need of some good, solid goals. In the past I've aimed for 5 pull ups, 1.5x bodyweight deadlift, 50 pushups.......
all strength related. I'm not sure where to go with my goal setting now. Running? No way - I'm just not a runner! Thanks for starting the thread gypsymom xx

Last edited:
Beside improving my body composition I would like to be able to do 24- 30 military push up
without rest! Also be able to pull up about 5 count with good form. Like Jen I want to venture that pistol squat too:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)
I also want to achieve 100 hip thrust with 30kg resting 20 second only! one rest per 100reps.

A better body composition would enable me to slot my body in smaller jeans yes from Aesthetic point of view.
It will also put my mind at ease as I will keep fluctuation of numbers appearing on the scale under control;);)
More muscle i gain, better my metabolism get, more I can dare take time off for holiday/business trip without putting on weight!
From Health point of view.:):)

BTW, I took about 6 months of business trips, relocation etc...with minimal non-sense training. My eating off course was not very clean. The "misleading"scale has not gone up!!! MET MET MET;)
I feel slightly tight in my jeans though:mad::mad:

Time to get back on the saddle!

Last edited:
I love this thread! I am totally in the same boat. I don't need to lose weight -- in fact, I should probably gain a little fat for fertility reasons. (Of course the doctors all tell me I'm fine based on my BMI, and don't listen when I tell them my BMI is misleadingly high... :rolleyes:)
I also have zero interest in competing in fitness competitions. But I love having goals and feeling like I'm accomplishing things and checking off boxes.
The coolest thing I've 'accomplished' recently is waking up my glutes. I can totally feel them activate way more, both while working out and in life (walking, toddler squats, etc.). I love stuff like this -- I feel like I've gained a new body part!
I will be beginning a round of STS Mesos 2+3, so maybe something surrounding pull ups... although I guess I'd love it if my goals were overtly functional. It's just tough, because I'm really plenty fit to accomplish my everyday tasks...
Anyways, thanks for starting this thread, gypsymom!

The coolest thing I've 'accomplished' recently is waking up my glutes. I can totally feel them activate way more, both while working out and in life (walking, toddler squats, etc.). I love stuff like this -- I feel like I've gained a new body part!
I will be beginning a round of STS Mesos 2+3, so maybe something surrounding pull ups... although I guess I'd love it if my goals were overtly functional. It's just tough, because I'm really plenty fit to accomplish my everyday tasks...

I love this thread too thanks to the originator.
Just wanted to add there is no harm in setting aesthetic goals....IMO.
There is always a health gain behind them! It could be gain in confidence/Self-esteem which is part of mental health!

Last edited:
I love this thread too thanks to the originator.
Just wanted to add there is no harm in setting aesthetic goals....IMO.
There is always a health gain behind them! It could be gain in confidence/Self-esteem which is part of mental health!

This! I originally thought of aesthetic & health goals, and ended up finding real fitness rewards from consistent exercise regimes, it's how I started running, unfortunately to run better & faster, and to avoid injury, I have had to try different things. I found some things did not support my running body as well as others. I also found that some experienced runners have different body structure & strengths than what I had and have now, so naturally, they are fitter, and faster, and they don't break down.

This year is all about building that runner's body, my runner body, and not having it break down just when I'm getting to the things I want to do.

I love this thread! I am totally in the same boat. I don't need to lose weight -- in fact, I should probably gain a little fat for fertility reasons. (Of course the doctors all tell me I'm fine based on my BMI, and don't listen when I tell them my BMI is misleadingly high... :rolleyes:)
I also have zero interest in competing in fitness competitions. But I love having goals and feeling like I'm accomplishing things and checking off boxes.

It's all about that bass, which makes DH laugh (he asked "what's that song about") lol.

That and, on the skinny note, having better strength to weight ratio would be a plus, for me anyway. Slim & Strong.

Well that's it, no more lazy butts in my house! Can someone help me with the search function to find the thread on waking up the glutes? This will be my mission for the next few months. One of my trainers at the gym asked if I'd consider competing as well but my gut reaction, for various reasons, is no. The other option at the gym is a 12 week challenge that they run in spring and summer which includes a photo shoot at the end - this I think I will seriously consider. I know it sounds superficial but I'm thinking more of the increased self esteem in accomplishing a goal like that as I've never been one who likes any attention shone on myself. Great thread!

Well that's it, no more lazy butts in my house! Can someone help me with the search function to find the thread on waking up the glutes? This will be my mission for the next few months. One of my trainers at the gym asked if I'd consider competing as well but my gut reaction, for various reasons, is no. The other option at the gym is a 12 week challenge that they run in spring and summer which includes a photo shoot at the end - this I think I will seriously consider. I know it sounds superficial but I'm thinking more of the increased self esteem in accomplishing a goal like that as I've never been one who likes any attention shone on myself. Great thread!

Hi,

Not sure the article on lazy glute you are after is cathe's or another one.

Here is cathe's

http://cathe.com/gluteal-amnesia

This! I originally thought of aesthetic & health goals, and ended up finding real fitness rewards from consistent exercise regimes, it's how I started running, unfortunately to run better & faster, and to avoid injury, I have had to try different things. I found some things did not support my running body as well as others. I also found that some experienced runners have different body structure & strengths than what I had and have now, so naturally, they are fitter, and faster, and they don't break down.

This year is all about building that runner's body, my runner body, and not having it break down just when I'm getting to the things I want to do.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.
I have few questions: what did experienced runners do to achieve a body structure and strength to support their running performance?
Would you mind sharing with us difference things you have done.

I relate to your post. When I discovered Cathe I was desperate to find a lift program I could consistently do at home!
I discovered type 2 diabetes was running in the family. Without knowing at the time the health benefit, i embarked
on working out at home. Nearly eight years after, I have gained more than I bargained for lol;);););)

I am so grateful I found cathe. Never in millions years I thought I would love lifting at home to the point
of being asked to train people in Gym. It turned into a hobby then.... Well i think it is turning into more than a hobby now.
:):):)

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.
I have few questions: what did experienced runners do to achieve a body structure and strength to support their running performance?
Would you mind sharing with us difference things you have done.

I relate to your post. When I discovered Cathe I was desperate to find a lift program I could consistently do at home!
I discovered type 2 diabetes was running in the family. Without knowing at the time the health benefit, i embarked
on working out at home. Nearly eight years after, I have gained more than I bargained for lol;);););)

I am so grateful I found cathe. Never in millions years I thought I would love lifting at home to the point
of being asked to train people in Gym. It turned into a hobby then.... Well i think it is turning into more than a hobby now.
:):):)

That's a good question, I don't know what exactly other than a lot of running, but they are leaner, and have more "spring", and a noticeable lack of muscle bulk. Really good posture, running tall. I have experienced, good spring at times but don't have the endurance to keep good posture at speed for 2 hours or more, that would be a goal, the sub 2 hour half marathon, and corresponding effort in the 10K, & 5K, and mile.

Muscle balance is a problem for me, as well as over use. I could run a lot, but I was lazy at it. Lack of cross & strength training is primarily my downfall. My other issue is thinking running better, faster is linear progress, I don't think that's true for me. It's more like a wave. Too much focus on volume, not enough on form.

All most everything I've done started with what I learned from Cathe videos, and from what I've read here, including Tracy Anderson, P90X, Jillian Michaels, Chalene Extreme, various stretching & yoga. All have different things I have benefited from, in different ways. I think I literally ran into problems when all I was doing was running.

Last edited:
Lack of cross & Strength training is a common mistake among runners.

A strong glute will help you run better.
It also does support knees.

Lack of muscle "bulk" is also common in long distance runners.
Running long distance compared to sprint is a different activity.

I am not a long distance run lover at all . I love sprint though---I love explosion:):)

Hope you manage to resolve imbalance issues.

All the very best,

Thank you for the 2 links Nathalie! Yes the Bret Contreras one is what I was looking for - off to do some hip thrusts! LOL!
Jamie

Jamie, I encourage you to do hip thrust challenge from xtrain if you are
new to them. I did it Feb/March 2014 and it helped gaining some strength.
I am getting back to them and build up to some serious load.;)

Let's keep each other posted on this topic:p

Happy glute activation.

My goal is diet-related...more protein, less sugar. I recently took part in a 5-day healthy eating challenge, and part of the challenge was to enter your eating at fitness pal. Wow, what an eye-opener! My calorie count was on track, but where I'm putting those calories is way off. I'm already working on ways to tweak my eating to get things more balanced. And for someone who pretty much eats the same thing day after day, that is not an easy thing!

I have been in a few competitions. Been there, done that. I don't feel a need to do it again. At this point in my life, I just want to look, and feel the best possible as I age. My children are all grown and gone. Now it's my time, I'm loving it. My husband refers to me as his "old lady with muscles." I kinda like that.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.