Glute workouts ?

Debinmi

Cathlete
Hey Cathletes,

Which Cathe DVD or LIVE workout would you say gave you the best workout for your Glutes? Or even what specific exercises from a workout would you say worked your Glutes best? TIA

Personally, Plyo works great. overall it is a combination of various workout.
At some point I needed a lot of cardio. I opted for Hiit mainly cause I am not keen on
extreme premixes.
Plyo, high reps endurance and HEAVY stuff on triset format. Trisets.
I also did barre workout but not a lot. Turbo barre.

oh There is a notorious rotation lol....I forgot the name:D
I will edit this post when I remember the name. That is mainly a high rep rotation but it is very effective.

Rock bottom rotation is no joke! it is one of hardest rotation but I am glad I did it cause it is effective.
Definitely gained a bubble by the end of the rotation lol:D
I will revisit to regained back my glute.

Here is another interesting thread about glute:

My favourite exercice is hamstring roll on stability ball.
I gained some serious definition on my hamstrings.
I love it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions nckfitheart2009!

I guess I'm trying to compile a list of the most effective Glute exercises. It's been suggested that I may have a LB muscle imbalance in that I am quad and hamstring dominant & i need to focus on glute work to correct this.

Please feel free to add in, but I'm thinking (in no particular order):

ETA other suggestions so I can just print off the one list.
Also ETA the dominate muscles used according to Bret Contreras PhD in "Glute Lab"

Glute bridges + single-leg glute bridges (Glute dominate)
Hip thrusts + One-legged Hip Thrusts (Glute)
Clam shells (glute)
Bulgarian split squats (Quad) (elevated lunges)
Sumo squats / banded (quad)
Pizza presses/donkey kicks (glute)
Fire hydrants and their variations (glute)
Hip extensions (standing & on floor) (glute)
Step-ups - done slowly (quads)
Single-leg deadlifts (hamstrings)
Romanian deadlifts (hamstrings)
Single-leg squats (quads)
Banded lateral walks/ monster walks (not listed - i think glutes)
Standing kickbacks / banded kickbacks (glutes)
Side-lying hip abductions (glutes)
Hip External Rotations (glutes)

I'm thinking a lot of Cathe's floor work may target glutes more ... hmmmm ... I'm gonna revisit the LIVE Glute Glute Hooray workout & the floorwork of Butts & Guts. I'll check out that Rock Bottoms rotation too - I think Cathe has updated it a few times now. Some of Cathe's barre/chair workouts may fit the bill if I skip the squats (or sub in Sumo squats).

Other ideas?

Last edited:
Single leg exercises really amp up the effectiveness. Using sliders when you can for exercises.
I love single leg deadlifts, and one legged hip thrusts.
I find if I slow the step ups down by waiting until I have tensed my glute then I shift the focus.

Thanks for the suggestions nckfitheart2009!

I guess I'm trying to compile a list of the most effective Glute exercises. It's been suggested that I may have a LB muscle imbalance in that I am quad and hamstring dominant & i need to focus on glute work to correct this.

Please feel free to add in, but I'm thinking (in no particular order):

Glute bridges & Hip thrusts
Clam shells
Bulgarian split squats (elevated lunges
Sumo squats
Pizza presses, fire hydrants and their variations.
Hip extensions (standing & on floor)
Step-ups (maybe) - i feel these more in my quads but that could be due to "lazy" glutes.

I'm thinking a lot of Cathe's floor work may target glutes more ... hmmmm ... I'm gonna revisit the LIVE Glute Glute Hooray workout & the floorwork of Butts & Guts. I'll check out that Rock Bottoms rotation too - I think Cathe has updated it a few times now. Some of Cathe's barre/chair workouts may fit the bill if I skip the squats (or sub in Sumo squats).

Other ideas?
  • Step up for sure! This hit the glute if you step up slightly higher than usual depending of "the happiness of your knee" === Just go as up as your knee allow you to execute the move. You will definitely feel it on your glute within seconds.
if you are keen on the original pyramid and do not feel weird stepping up with Barbell, do so :D

I did it and while I am writing, I am planning to doing it again as part of Rock bottom rotation.
I shared in the past here. Before stepping up, i wondered to myself asking cathe "Really lol shall we not just use dumbells?" Then I thought: come on let change. I lifted my BB, the shortest one and YES my glute activated as never! lol:D:D it felt like needles but in a good way.

• lunging on discs or rugs also hit glute really well. on all planes
my favourite is the curtecy lunge on sliding device. you will feel it.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks!

I've used the gliding discs and have really liked them/their effect. However, the last time I did them from a LIVE Bootcamp class & we went really fast - it's suspected I may have hyper-extended my knee and injured my MCL. (I also tore the meniscus - but suspected from the day before's workout - not the gliders - it's actually hard to know for sure which exercise contributed to which injury - could have been a combination of things over time along with the arthritis present). So I'm avoiding them until it fully heals (almost there) - from here on I'll only use the gliders in a slow & controlled manner as Cathe usually does. I only once used the barbell in Step-ups with PLB - I was scared, lol, so decided I didn't need the extra heart-pounding from anxiety and only use dumbells now. Most of my rehab exercises have been quad & hamstring focused, and I seem to have stalled in my progress - that's when it was suggested I needed to limit the quad/hamstring exercises now & focus on glutes. Its all a process ...

There is a step up premix on muscle endurance dvd, intensity series. I use it before hiking in the Rockies because it really strengthens the glutes.

There is a step up premix on muscle endurance dvd, intensity series. I use it before hiking in the Rockies because it really strengthens the glutes.
The last time we trained for a trip to the mountains we did alot of step aerobics with intervals - to increase our VO2 max & train those legs! Step-ups would be great for Boulder climbing too!

Thanks!

I've used the gliding discs and have really liked them/their effect. However, the last time I did them from a LIVE Bootcamp class & we went really fast - it's suspected I may have hyper-extended my knee and injured my MCL. (I also tore the meniscus - but suspected from the day before's workout - not the gliders - it's actually hard to know for sure which exercise contributed to which injury - could have been a combination of things over time along with the arthritis present). So I'm avoiding them until it fully heals (almost there) - from here on I'll only use the gliders in a slow & controlled manner as Cathe usually does. I only once used the barbell in Step-ups with PLB - I was scared, lol, so decided I didn't need the extra heart-pounding from anxiety and only use dumbells now. Most of my rehab exercises have been quad & hamstring focused, and I seem to have stalled in my progress - that's when it was suggested I needed to limit the quad/hamstring exercises now & focus on glutes. Its all a process ...
I know lifting a barbell during PLB sounds scary but the feeling of the pump is soooooo GREAT .
Within 60 second I am high and by the time I finish I am like I want to do it again.
CRAZY I know ☺️

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-06-15-08-40-44-362-edit_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-06-15-08-40-44-362-edit_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 12
I know lifting a barbell during PLB sounds scary but the feeling of the pump is soooooo GREAT .
Within 60 second I am high and by the time I finish I am like I want to do it again.
CRAZY I know ☺️
Crazy fun for you it sounds like!

[Hey is that screenshot of you somewhere in there, or was it an accident?]

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.