Get Glutes Program

burnmarie

Cathlete
Just curious if anyone has been subscribed to the Get Glutes Program from Bret Contreras, Kellie Davis, and Marianne Kane? And if so, how are your results been? Is it a pretty large community on the forums?

I've subscribed to his emails (not program - but am intrigued!); I am a bit behind (no pun intended!) in reading the sample Curves PDF that he sent.
Please check back in regarding his program and book!

Well, I got the book, and I'm really impressed. I actually bought the Kindle download, but I may buy the physical book as well because I keep wanting to refer to it and it's hard with the electronic version. I wrote a review on Amazon here: Amazon.com: Audry's review of Strong Curves: A Woman's Guide to Building...

I started the "Advanced" workout yesterday, and did day 2 today. All I can say is wow, I am really surprised at how fatigued I have been both days. I can't post actual results after only two days, but I am pleasantly surprised that even with such a demanding workout I'm not crippled with DOMS (although there is always tomorrow....)

Anyway, just wanted to reply. I will try to remember to update again once I can comment more on results. Maybe at the end of week 4 :)

awesome, Audry!
I was impressed with the PDF sample so I also bought the book!
It's good to know that you're enjoying the program so far:)
I haven't had much time to read it but looked through it - I don't have most of the recommended equipment but Bret mentions modifications for those instances. I'm excited to get started:eek:

Well, I got the book, and I'm really impressed. I actually bought the Kindle download, but I may buy the physical book as well because I keep wanting to refer to it and it's hard with the electronic version. I wrote a review on Amazon here: Amazon.com: Audry's review of Strong Curves: A Woman's Guide to Building...

I started the "Advanced" workout yesterday, and did day 2 today. All I can say is wow, I am really surprised at how fatigued I have been both days. I can't post actual results after only two days, but I am pleasantly surprised that even with such a demanding workout I'm not crippled with DOMS (although there is always tomorrow....)

Anyway, just wanted to reply. I will try to remember to update again once I can comment more on results. Maybe at the end of week 4 :)

How long are the workouts? What equipment are you using?

Well, there are 4 programs in the book, and one of them is bodyweight only. I am doing the "Gluteal Goddess" workout, which does involve equipment. I am doing it at a gym, so it's not a big deal. I do think that to do the program exactly as written, most people would need to go to a gym. Honestly though, most people who do Cathe's workouts would probably have enough to manage. You definitely need a barbell and dumbbells, and a chin-up bar. There are heavy squats, which could be a problem if you don't have a squat rack; and some of the exercises use a cable tower or a back extension, but I think you could sub a band for most (if not all) of the cable exercises, and the back extension is like, one set, twice a week (and the body weight program shows how to use a Swiss ball instead).

I just looked through, and here is a list of ALL the equipment used in the GG workout ( which is probably the most equipment-intensive)

-Adjustable barbell (and squat rack or can sub higher reps for heavy on squats)
-Dumbbells
-Bench/ incline bench
-Cable tower (adjustable/ multiple attachment height)
-Chin-up bar
-Something high to step up onto
-Back extension (or Swiss ball and a place to anchor your feet)
-Ab wheel
-Something for inverted rows (TRX, barbell in rack, etc)

I hope that's helpful. The vast majority uses just a bench, barbell, dumbbells and body weight.

Have any of you started one of the programs from the book yet? If so, how are you liking it? I just finished phase 1 of the "Gluteal Goddess" workout, and I am really enjoying it. My behind and my hamstrings in particular are getting pretty hard when I flex them, even after just 4 weeks. I've gotten my squat up to 110x5 and my hip thrust to 155x8. I'm also up to 3 sets of 5 unassisted chin-ups, which is really exciting for me. I can't wait to see how the next two phases go!

I keep getting called a "beast" and "hardcore" at the gym, and I'm convinced it's because of the hip thrusts... I've never seen anyone else do them, and I'm pretty sure they LOOK harder than they are :)

Hey!

I'm glad to see someone else is doing this!

I cannot for the life of me remember what the name of the program I am doing but it's the one that focuses on just the glutes...I started STS a little over a month ago so I don't need the upper body work right now but once I finish STS I plan to do one of the other programs. Anyway, so far I love how the glutes are shaping up!!:) I'm not lifting as heavy as you are Aurdyb because I had to learn the deeper squat method and in order to do that I had to significantly reduce the weight I was squatting and retrain my hips to go deep. But I love it!! I actually hired Kellie as a long-distance trainer last year and saw great results and I really liked her and, of course, Bret is the glute guru!!

Anyway, good for you on your results!!! Those are some awesome numbers!
Natalie

I'm in my final 2 workouts of week 4 (Gorgeous Glutes program) then I move on to the next 4 weeks. I definitely LOVE the workout and am seeing progress:D

The Cable rotations and Between Bench Squats are among my favorites!

I would go through withdrawals if I didn't at least stick with Cathe's upper body and cardio stuff;)

AudreyB,
wow! Nice work! I'm thrilled for you - those are amazing numbers!

Love2step24,
I think you're doing the Gorgeous Glutes program -that's the one I'm doing and it's only for the lower body. how-EV-er, with the heavy weights I'm holding during the various squats and walking lunges my forearms and back are feeling pretty strong!

Glad you're both liking it! Jenniferlove, I hear you - I feel like some of my lower body exercises (walking lunges and step-ups come to mind) are limited by my forearm strength!

The GG workout doesn't have the between bench squats, but I'm really enjoying the single-leg shoulder-and-foot-elevated hip thrusts. (There's a mouthful.) My keister cramps up like crazy after a set of those, holy moly!

Audry - that IS a mouthful! I'm looking at the picture of it now - looks like you could do a back flip from that pose! LOL! I have another 4-weeks to go before I hit that one.

The program I'm doing *technically* doesn't have the between-bench squats as one of the exercises however I decided to do that one in place of the body-weight full squat.

What does everyone think about the the barbell front squat or zercher squat? Those are in my next 4 weeks and I'm nervous about them. I have a barbell pad for the zercher squat so at least that will help.

Hello!

I just wanted to make a quick comment about the Zercher squat...I'm only putting 40 lbs on my bar to start with this but I go deep on this one and it's tough. Weird too because I was used to squatting over 100 lbs the old way...going deep makes a huge difference. My arms are going to have to get accustomed to holding the weight like that too. Maybe I should try the pad but I don't think it is wide enough...hmmm...

Natalie

I'm nervous about the zercher squat too - it's in my next phase and I'm all set to start out really light!

Edit: I missed that you asked about front squats. I like front squats - I did them instead of back squats for a while and they really helped my back squat form a lot. I think they helped teach my core to engage better while squatting. That said, I did have bruises on the fronts of my shoulders the whole time I was doing them regularly, which was a bit annoying after a while. Not sure what to do about that, since I think a pad would get in the way. I used the crossed arms position as I found the wrists-bent-way-back position to be horribly uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Hello!

I just wanted to make a quick comment about the Zercher squat...I'm only putting 40 lbs on my bar to start with this but I go deep on this one and it's tough. Weird too because I was used to squatting over 100 lbs the old way...going deep makes a huge difference. My arms are going to have to get accustomed to holding the weight like that too. Maybe I should try the pad but I don't think it is wide enough...hmmm...

Natalie

Thanks for the tip - since I never squatted more than 40# I will start with just a bar and see how that goes.

I know - going deep I think has made the biggest difference in my lower body composition. Between that and barbell hip thrusts.

Audryb,
I CRINGED when I saw the model's (is that Kellie?) wrists bent so far back!
I guess I'll keep trying the front squat... I tried them yesterday and they were just so comfortable that I went back to the between-bench squats.
Thanks for the head's up!

jenniferlove - I totally agree about the deeper squats and thrusts making a big difference...I felt like I was kind of at a plateau with regular squats. I mean I guess I could have added more weight but I was already up to 135# and didn't feel comfortable squatting that much alone at home so this program came at a perfect time. We'll see what happens but I am definitely excited about my progress so far.

Have a great day!
Natalie

Did anyone create workout log sheets for these programs? I have the book and want to get started this week. I was planning on creating sheets today at lunch, and of course I forgot the book at home.... :) Just wondering if someone else has created the workout sheets already that I could snag! I think I'm going to start with the beginner program to make sure I'm really doing the glute activation correctly. My chiro has noted that my glutes are "lazy" so I need to make sure THEY are doing the work rather than my hamstrings or quads which always take over.

Thanks to anyone who can help out!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.