Freestyle Training Questions

bernajo

Cathlete
For all of the Freestylers out there... I think I am your newest recruit. I want to whittle down my hips and thighs - I'm a classic pair. And from what I've read from your past posts, Freestyle training may be worth a try.

I ordered a book to read up on it, but in the meantime, I'd like to use workout videos I already have, if that's possible. I have tons of Cathe including Hardcore, Slim Series, Power Half Hour, Lotte Berk, the Bar Method, and teh FIRM Classics, I, II, and III. So, puh-leeze help me here...

Today I did Slim Series Firm It Up. Tomorrow I plan to do LowMax. I understand it has some intense legwork, so does this count toward my "freestyle training" requirement? Thursday, I planned to do some cardio, maybe CTX, so should I add in say, PLB floorwork for my Freestyle requirment?

Am I understanding this correctly, or does freestyle only include set exercises and standing leg work? How much is required? Should I use weights or not?

Please Advise...
Joy

The book says to use 70% of your normal weight for Free Style. I do my best at this, but myself, and Rhonda, the expert, (not meant as an insult), might not agree with me, but I consider Kickboxing, and workouts like Low Max leg workouts. I burn myself out working out too much in one day. I try to get leg weights in 2-3 times a week, and do Low Max, KPC, or Kick Max in there too. I also do not want to ignore my UB, and working out 1 hour, to an 1 1/2 hours a day is plenty for me. It is hard to get legs, cardio, UB, and core all in there as much as I want in one week, and stick to 1 hour a day. But, I am doing the best I can.
Lori

Yes I would use weights even if its just a small amount I usually use at least the 70%.... any of the exercises that are considered weight training for the lower body, that you can use weights with.... and cardio I think is 4 to 6 days a week at least 20 minutes of that....

My exercise workouts last about an hr maybe an hr and 15 minutes.... I do ABS every other day.... I do upper body 1 to 2 days a week, I try for 2 days a week.....so usuall I do 20 minutes of ABS, 20 minutes of weight training lower body, 20 to 30 minutes of cardio(mine is jogging) .... hope this is of help to you.. Rhonda:7

Thanks Lori - I'm in the same boat. 60-90 minutes is all i have each day. Are you getting good results this this approach?

Freestyle Training for women is, is training the lower body 4-6 days a week depending on how much weight you want to lose.... there was some some web sites back a few weeks ago you can do a search to find them, I don't have them handy....
Its worked for many women and its worked for me and run4fun/beverly.... and lorisax also.:7 ... if you have any question feel free to ask....... Rhonda

More Freestyle Training Questions

Hi Rhonda and others!

I'm so excited about freestyling and getting the book I ordered. So far, I have worked legs 3 days in a row this week, and my hips are so sore tonight, I can barely sit. I guess it takes some getting used to. I want to lose 5-10 pounds, so I hope this does it.

Rhonda, do you typically use Cathe workouts for your 4-6 workouts? Or do you do some random exercises after your dvd workout? Does running count as a lower body workout? Also, do you have some of those freestyle poles that I've seen around?

Oh two more questions...Is the Lower Body Solution book a good one? The other two popular books I've heard about are difficult to find as they're out of print now. Also, why are all of the websites gone? Do you know of any freestyle websites that are still up?

Sorry - lots of questions.
Thanks for your help,
Joy:)

RE: More Freestyle Training Questions

thanks for explaining. Wow. Only lower body. you go girls. Not for me. I hate lower body burn. Only when I do weights at the gym is it okay but the ones Cathe does are horrible. Worse then pushing 100 pounds press

Tybooty, we also work the upper body, but its the lower body we are trying to slim down, like when I started freestyle last yr I was 116 lbs, it was after the holidays and I was looking for anything to get my hips which were back up to 36 inches back to 34.4 inches and Francine told us about freestyle, well I looked into it and decided to give it a try, and it worked great for me......
My weight is where I want it now so I am in the maintance stage....
This may not be for you, I just want to explain that we also work out upper body just not every day...........

Rhonda

Joy, I don't know about the Lower Body Solutions, I only have the other one..
I use cathe's workouts and I do my own routines..... Rhonda:7

Thanks Rhonda for clearing the smoke. Lot on the legs, Whew. I just finished lower body an add on on the basic step and that's more then enough for me. :)

Rhonda (and other educated crowd on freestyle training),

I've been lurking for some time now and reading the posts about this type of training for slimming the lower body. I also have a few questions if you don't mind.

I probably will end up buying a book to help me understand this all too, but to start- when you say use 70% of your weight, are you talking about your body weight or your maximum weight you are able to lift for instance with a barbell? I don't really understand this concept about working the lower body everyday and not bulking up, how is it not possible to bulk up if you are working your legs everyday? Is it something about working the same body part everyday that does not allow the muscle to grow, but only allows them to lean out? How long did it take for you to start seeing results with this type of training?

I'm sorry this post is soooooo long, but I have been struggling with my lower body for nearly all my adult life. I have been terrified to lift heavy for fear of my thighs/legs getting any larger. I think this could be the reason why I hate lower body work so much.

TIA for all of your responses. I think this could be the type of training that I need to concentrate on.

PS...I do cardio 5-6 times per week and I usually w/o 1.5 to 2.5 hours a day with at least one, occcasionally two days of complete rest.

Thanks...

Bumping this to get responses from the educated crowd on this topic. Thanks.

I received my book today - Lower Body Solution - and I thumbed through it. It has a lot of info in it, but I'm not sure I didn't know it already. If you can find a book (most of them seem to be out of print) you might be better off with one other than this one.

Your question about weight is a good one. Would love to know the answer...

I think the premise is if you work your lower body more regularly, with less than max weight, then you will get tight, not bulk, and look more like a dancer/runner, etc. Like you, I'm struggling with my lower body too, so I'm going to give this method a try. Instead of using the exercises in the book though (I hate going to the gym), I think I'm just going to use my Cathe, FIRM, and Lotte Berk workouts. I find when Cathe says "we're sweating right along there with you", I believe her and I push a little more! I'm going to run more too, just because running makes me "high" and running is just the right thing to do!

I hope this helps, if not - consider it a *BUMP* ;-)

Joy

Ok, hi ladies...

The answer to the 70% question is the weight you lift, like if you normally lift 40 lbs like I do doing squats you drop it to 30, if you lift 35 for lunges like I do you use 25,and so on....
And as far as the question on how long it took for me to see results, its wasn't long, but I also dropped my calorie intake for a while... the book also says in order to LOSE weight you must take in LESS calories than you BURN... I am 5'2" I dropped my calories from what ever they were to about 1200 a day, just enough to start losing, I was losing 1 to 2 lbs a week I would say with all the exercise I was doing I started the freestyle I think last March but I don't remember whether it was the beginning middle or end of March, by sometime in May my weight was where I wanted it and I upped my calorie intake so I wouldn't lose anymore..... I didn't have to up it much...
Don't get the wrong idea here either I happen to eat more than you think lol, the other day went to Arby's they have those SUBS 2 for $5 well I ate almost 2 of them..... plus the beef jerky and other proteins and fruit I had eaten that day, when I got home I ate a grapefruit.... I drink almost a gallon of water a day that helps...
Anyway my point is the diet is important too....
AS far as the book, when Francine first told us about freestyle I asked her which book was the best cause I could only get 1, she told me Freestyle TRaining for Women was the best one between the 2.....
Last year I had several of cathe's workout and used them all in my exercises but then I got to the point where I was doing the routines in the book and I sold all of my workouts, now I am starting to buy some of them again, just not the same ones....
I used LEGS and GLUTES alot in my workouts when I had it along with Pyramids, PURE Strength, Power Hour, Muscle Endurance and so on, any of them are good but Legs & Glutes was my favorite, I used it 2 to 3 times a week, it helped alot....
I also jog 3 to 4 times or more a week, 1 or 2 times a week I use the exercise bike, I do 20 to 30 minutes, the book calls for 20 minutes at least..... AFTER you weight train.....

Hope this helps, let me know if I can answer anymore questions, I will put up this web site and I will try to find the other one for you... www.bodybuilding.com/fun/gideons11.htm ....

Rhonda:7 :7 :7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.