For those with GFW or bodybugg

Road2ANewMe

Cathlete
Are you noticing it being accurate regarding weight loss. I know that at the end of the week, the device tells you what you can expect to lose based on the week's numbers. I'm just wondering if the device is fairly accurate.

Jessica-who wants one and is having a hard time justifying the money!

I have GWF and mine seems to be very accurate. I had wondered why I lost weight so slowly eating about 1400-1500 calories per day. The answer was that I am not active enough. When I put my numbers in Cathe's nutrition calculator it says to lose I have to eat between 853 and 1153 calories . BUT of course not to eat that little because that is not healthy. That is assuming I am sedentary. I can't lose weight by eating less I have to move more.

Everyone is different and some people may have calories they can cut.

With GWF I have found on an average non wo day I may walk 1000-1200 steps with 1-3 minutes of moderate activity. I believe that most people are very busy but may not be very active except for their planned exercise period. GWF is a fun toy but it won't help you lose weight unless you actually increase activity level.

Even if the numbers are not perfect they seem to be consistent and you could find what level of calories used works for you.

Because 1400 calories per day seems to be my personal "stay the same weight" calorie level that is what I input at GWF. To lose 2lbs per week I need a calorie deficit of 1000 calories per day. I need to burn 2400 calories per day. It recommended 5000 steps and 30 minutes of moderate exercise per day to expend the extra 1000 calories. However that minimal level of exercise plus my normal activities does not burn 2400 calories. I have only had the armband a short time and have not taken the time to find out what level of exercise will use the 2400 calories.

I hope this helps.

Joan

I own the Bodybugg and I think second to STS, it is the best fitness tool I've invested in. When I first got mine I was burning a little over 2000 a day. Now, I'm consistently reaching my recommended calorie expenditure 2350 a day.

It is a great tool if you are trying to lose weight. When I cut calories, my energy levels dropped along with my activity levels. That is completely natural. I think this tool has motivated me to move more.
It is great for fat loss, maintenence, and muscle gain. I'm addicted to reaching my step goal of 10,000 every day!

According to my scale, my BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate - the amount of calories I need to eat if I didn't move at all the whole day- just enough to keep my body functioning) is usually between 1500-1600 calories. So I know that I MUST take in at least that many calories, and then adjust for activity level and goals. My aim on most days is to eat 1800 calories, but I have a very high activity level on almost all days - I don't really have non-workout days, just days of lower activity (since the beginning of this year, I have only had 5 no-activity days, all of them when I was off work and sick or injured).

I've had the gowear fit for just under 2 weeks and have lost almost 4#. I weigh myself daily and by what my data shows on my graph to what the scale has been saying I would say it is very accurate.

I think it's the best thing I've ever bought for myself. I tried to lose weight by exercising last summer and got so frustrated I gave up.

I found that even on STS days I need to move my butt more so I ride the exercise bike or take a long walk. Amazing how active you have to be to burn calories. Oh.. and I did see that night hot flashes actually burn 1.2-1.4 calories a minute compared to sleeping and burning 1.0. So I guess there is one good thing about menopause.

Oh.. and I did see that night hot flashed actually burn 1.2-1.4 calories a minute compared to sleeping and burning 1.0. So I guess there is one good thing about menopause.

I noticed I burn more on nights I get hot flashes too. I'm pre-menopausal so I'm not getting them every night. I like the extra calorie burn;)

I love my GWF! I found out I was in an opposite situation- I was eating 1700 calories or so everyday. I couldn't lose the 5 pounds I gained over Christmas and it wasn't helping that I was HUNGRY and having days where I ate waaaay too much. The GWF told me I was burning 2800-3000 calories per day! No wonder I was hungry all the time and stuffing my face with terrible food once a week out of sheer desperation. So now I eat closer to 2000 calories a day and I've lost 2 pounds this week. It does encourage me to move- nice to see that I've met my 10,000 steps per day goal. Plus, I love seeing that I have a calorie deficit for the day. :) It is helping me understand what my body needs and to listen to it- shocking that I do not have to be starving or hungry to be fit. I know it seems intuitive, but years of dieting have messed with my head!

This is a great fitness tool, I've had mine for about 1.5 weeks, if nothing else, it really motivates me to move more. My target calories seem to be set high at 1990, but I tend to stay around 1700/1800 . On less intense workout days I generally burn around 2300-2400 calories per day, and on longer workout days, I can reach and sometimes exceed my target of 2750. I have not had a rest day in a few weeks, today will be my first, so I'll see what today's burn is.

I'm supposed to be at a deficit of 750 cal./day to lose 1.5 pounds per week.

On average, I have been reaching that, but my body is VERY uncooperative when it comes to losing weight. I'm beginning to think there might be some hormone stuff at play here with me, I've been very patient, but I'm going to see what happens after I complete Meso3 of STS and of course continue to wear the GWF to track my numbers. If I still can't average 1 pound/week, I might look into going to an endocrinologist and do the full work up. My standard blood tests are all very good, but they only do 1 test for thyroid, I've been reading there is much more to it than that one test.

This is a great fitness tool, I've had mine for about 1.5 weeks, if nothing else, it really motivates me to move more. My target calories seem to be set high at 1990, but I tend to stay around 1700/1800 . On less intense workout days I generally burn around 2300-2400 calories per day, and on longer workout days, I can reach and sometimes exceed my target of 2750. I have not had a rest day in a few weeks, today will be my first, so I'll see what today's burn is.

I'm supposed to be at a deficit of 750 cal./day to lose 1.5 pounds per week.

On average, I have been reaching that, but my body is VERY uncooperative when it comes to losing weight. I'm beginning to think there might be some hormone stuff at play here with me, I've been very patient, but I'm going to see what happens after I complete Meso3 of STS and of course continue to wear the GWF to track my numbers. If I still can't average 1 pound/week, I might look into going to an endocrinologist and do the full work up. My standard blood tests are all very good, but they only do 1 test for thyroid, I've been reading there is much more to it than that one test.

Not to go off topic, but yes, there is more than the 1 standard test. That really doesn't tell much and I don't know why they just do that one. If you are hypo, you will notice other things, like being too tired/lethargic, hair loss, being cold all the time (often especially after eating), dry skin, brittle nails...If you are experiencing other side effects, then I would say to not wait until the end of STS and go now so you can get started on medications. It can take a while to regulate them so you may as well get started with that process if it is one that you will be doing anyway. And if you go, insist on the full thyroid workup and make sure that your doctor is one who will listen to your body cues and not just lab guidelines.

Now, for a GWF question: If you get the watch thing, will it tell you everything that the web site will? I would take the free months that I would get but don't see myself using it that much. Also, related to this, once the software is downloaded, what good does the online site do you? I have tried online calorie sites before and never kept up b/c I got too frustrated and if I get this device, will most likely use pen and paper for tracking calories.

Now, for a GWF question: If you get the watch thing, will it tell you everything that the web site will? I would take the free months that I would get but don't see myself using it that much.

I thought I read that the armband will stop storing when the memory is full and the only way I know of to clear the memory is to upload it. Maybe someone would know if there is some way to clear the memory and start over if you don't have the web subscription. Or if after 14 days the watch will still show you data if the armbands memory is full.

From the user guide - • Red (flashing) = The Armband will not collect data. You must upload
to the GoWear® fi t activity manager before continuing use.

Last edited:
Now, for a GWF question: If you get the watch thing, will it tell you everything that the web site will? I would take the free months that I would get but don't see myself using it that much. Also, related to this, once the software is downloaded, what good does the online site do you? I have tried online calorie sites before and never kept up b/c I got too frustrated and if I get this device, will most likely use pen and paper for tracking calories.

It does give you the data, but you need the website to calibrate your goals and targets into the device.

Not to go off topic, but yes, there is more than the 1 standard test. That really doesn't tell much and I don't know why they just do that one. If you are hypo, you will notice other things, like being too tired/lethargic, hair loss, being cold all the time (often especially after eating), dry skin, brittle nails...If you are experiencing other side effects, then I would say to not wait until the end of STS and go now so you can get started on medications. It can take a while to regulate them so you may as well get started with that process if it is one that you will be doing anyway. And if you go, insist on the full thyroid workup and make sure that your doctor is one who will listen to your body cues and not just lab guidelines.

Thanks for the details! I don't noticably have those other symptoms, maybe brittle nails, I'll have to pay attention to getting cold after meals, I tend to discount how I feel easily.

For the GWF, I like the watch and am happy I got it, but could have lived without it, the best part is I like to see the calories I burn right after a workout, I don't care about knowing my steps all day though, but it's nice to have. I do not wear it all the time, just mainly when I'm working out. It does not tell you your calorie intake or your sleep habits, but it does give you everything else like your number of steps, calories burned, it lets you know how many minutes of vigourous and moderate activity you have performed, and it has a trip feature like a car, so you can reset the calories and steps for a specific period of time. The watch also gives you notification when you have reached your targets. I wear it with the clip either on my pants or clipped onto the strap of my sports bra during workouts, I think it's too ugly as a watch :p.

Regarding the 3 free months, you have to choose a payment plan in order to activate the 3 free months, but you can choose the month to month, then cancel after 1 month if you want. You do need the software for this to work, you input your personal data like weight into the online software and that is where the armband gets the data from. The software part and seeing all your graphs is really a lot of fun and motivating, I don't think I would like this as much without the visuals in that. Also, this is cool, if you take off the band for a while, like showering, you can go into the software and tell it to add in the calories burned based on a variety of factors. So I usually just pick the lower end of the calorie burn to be safe. You can also run reports based on time frames, and export your data into a spreadsheet.

I too have not really liked online food tracking, until I started using this, in the software, you get to see all your daily stats, I'm most concerned with daily calorie burn, but for me it's no good seeing my burn if I don't know the calories coming in, so I really make a point to track the calories. I actually found this tracking software easier and faster than others I have tried. I input my own recipes and foods that are not in the database, once I do that they become searchable in the database. If I'm working out of the house, I use my gmail account to jot down the food I eat during the day, then just input it all at once when I get home.

Good luck in your decision to buy! :)

Quick question on the GWF meal logging....I just got mine yesterday and started logging food today. I put in the breakfast meal, but it doesnt show yet on my stats for the day. Does it update, meal by meal input, or do you have to have logged the whole days worth of food for the stats to show? I couldnt find the answer in the users guide/help.

So far the GWF is great!

Thanks for your help,
Mary :)

Quick question on the GWF meal logging....I just got mine yesterday and started logging food today. I put in the breakfast meal, but it doesnt show yet on my stats for the day. Does it update, meal by meal input, or do you have to have logged the whole days worth of food for the stats to show? I couldnt find the answer in the users guide/help.

So far the GWF is great!

Thanks for your help,
Mary :)
Check to see if you have this set -
Go to the activity manager - Resources - Preferences - and then click Daily Food Logging.

Check to see if you have this set -
Go to the activity manager - Resources - Preferences - and then click Daily Food Logging.

That I did do, I think I figured it out with a few refreshes it is now showing for the day. Always something new to figure out when getting started in software....

Thanks for the help. :)

I am trying to resist....TRYING!!!

Okay....i'll get the arm band part....but is the watch really necessary?

I love the watch. I can look at it during the day and see that I've sat at my desk burning 1 cal. a minute and can tell myself to move my arse. I also can reset the trip function and go to the gym and set a goal of calories to burn. It allows me to see where I am without having to take the armband off and upload the data.

I am trying to resist....TRYING!!!

Okay....i'll get the arm band part....but is the watch really necessary?

Oh, if you are going for the band....go for the whole sha-bang!:p
Seriously, the digital display is worth it. You can view your numbers and move more when you need to, or just for the thrill of watching the calories/steps add up.:cool: I'm so thrilled today. It's 5:30pm now and I have burned 2100 calories so far. This may be a 2600 calorie day for me!:D:D

If you don't buy the digital display, you will have to take the arm band off to upload the data. I upload once a day. I look at my digital display a million times a day:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.