For those who don't like being called "skinny"

dss62467

Cathlete
There was a post the other day from someone who was aggrevated because she's getting called skinny (and she's not skinny). Well, I replied that I don't typically get called skinny because I thought I wasn't perceived that way (my 34C bust on a very small figure)....

WELLLLLLLL.....today it happened. The woman who reports to me asked if I have been working out a lot. When I said yes, she said I was getting too skinny and I need to eat something! I wasn't offended though - I just laughed and said, "eat, Papa, eat. Who ever heard of a skinny Santa?" End of discussion.

Of course, I wouldn't get offended by just about anything she says because she's just a smartass and likes to joke around. Plus, she and I share a love of cheeseburgers. She's also 10 years younger than me, so it will catch up to her and her incredibly cute figure.

RE: For those who don't like being called

Yeah I get it all the time (5'3", 110 lbs--NOT skinny!). It doesn't really offend me (much of it's motivated by jealousy), but I just don't understand why people can't use nicer terms--slim, slender, petite, etc.

We had a delivery at our office recently and the delivery man referred to me as the skinny one (he gave the package to). I wasn't offended, but I didnt like it either. If I took my clothes off, he'd see I have muscles and more of a shape than someone who really is skinny by means of starvation.
BTW Donna, I'm jealous of your 34C's! hahaha
Susan C.M.

I love the skinny santa quote...it is one of my favorite quotes!

I think a lot of people don't realize it is a backhanded compliment, or comes off as that. I also think it goes by the tone of voice. I have taken it both as a compliment and as a not-so-compliment.

I so often run into the eating-disorder-police...its like..ok, I know eating disorders are a problem, but did you know 60 percent of americans are overweight?!? The eating disorder concern seems to be more prevalent than the overweight concern! I know my perception is skewed since I am not overweight....

When I lost my postpartum pounds, I got some comments about being too skinny...watch out, you aren't trying to lose more weight are you? You don't need to! and then when I talk about the goals for my workouts, changing my body composition, lifting weights, honing my diet (more protein, complex carbs) I get a few weird looks like they think that I am obsessed with the number on the scale or want to be even more skinny...NOT

I found it perplexing and amusing. Can't people find something else to worry about? But, I digress. :)

Jen

I've noticed that as you seem to work out harder and really start to get into shape that's when people start to make those sort of comments. I don't know why, I wonder if they think your not supposed to look like the people who work out on t.v. or what the problem is. I have noticed though that does seem to happen, maybe because I'm a petite person in general I'm only 5'2 average 102 to 105 sometimes a little less it goes back and forth. I'm like you guys its not the weight that matters it's the muscle and the fitness factor that matters. Just my thought.

See... people should use a nicer word than skinny! It does not sound nice. Call me the brown haired girl,the green eyed girl, the one with glasses or call me by my name. But please don't call me the "skinny" one!! Maybe if I was "skinny by nature" it would be okay. But I have to work hard to keep my weight in control. Anybody who does Cathe works hard no matter how much you weigh!!!

Ok. So now I will shut up and smile and be the skinny one. This skinny one is going to do KP&C now!! Bye ladies! :) Renee

I don't mind being called skinny, to me its a compliment...... Rhonda:7

I think it is a compliment also. I don't people are meaning to call a person "scrawny" when they call somebody "skinny". Just my opinion though.

Lori

i ranted about this over at ya ya's a few weeks ago... GRRRRRR

my point is.. if you won't walk up to someone and say "you're so fat"... why would you say "you're so skinny"... thin is a much nicer word!

i swore that the next time someone said to me "you're too skinny" i was gonna say back to them "well you're too fat"

today.. same lady that ticked me off commenented on my outfit... which happens to be a pink corduroy skirt.. short (but not too short), pink turtle neck and pink, off white, brown, beige hooded striped sweater, with dark brown boots... she started to say something about dressing like a teen... i took a deep breath as i kept walking away and said, well if you were as thin as me you'd dress the same way! nicer than i wanted to be...

it's not my fault i have to shop in the junior department thanks to vanity sizing!!!!!!!!!! and i don't think my outfit it too teen.. it hink it's very cute and trendy!

I agree with Rhonda. In fact, I often agree with you Rhonda.:) I would rather be called skinny that a fatso any day. I don't know why everyone is getting so worked up over this. I figure I could be called a lot worse. In fact, I do in my profession, get called worse things, so being called skinny is nothing. I work with criminals, so I am used more offensive comments.

I'll give you a cup size, if you want! I've never been too thrilled with the size of my chest (being only 5'0", it kind of is out of proportion). My big brother used to call me "Boobs". Nice, huh?

Obviously this woman was just jealous of your super cute outfit. Sounds really cute. Why do people feel the need to comment negatively? Even if you were dressed as a teen who really gives a rats you know what! Does it really bother her that much that she feels the need to make a comment on your clothing? That is 10 times more rude than calling somebody skinny in my opinion. But I am starting to understand a little why people would find "skinny' offensive. I have never been "skinny" so maybe I just don't get it.

I used to hate when people would call me darlin' and honey, sweetheart, etc. I felt my inner feminist coming out and I felt rage. Now I really don't care, it's doesn't really offend me. These people are just trying to be nice.

Lori

My thinking is, I don't think people know they are being rude most of the time. In their minds its just a logical question or comment. I do think that many people need to stop being SO sensitive about remarks. My hubby makes tacky remarks a times, I used to really let it get to me, but after 23 yrs and alot of growing up spiritually and mentally I just chalk it up to his up bringing............
In other words some people don't always mean things the way we take them............. and the ones that do, what do we care anyway.... Rhonda:7

>i ranted about this over at ya ya's a few weeks ago...
>GRRRRRR
>i swore that the next time someone said to me "you're too
>skinny" i was gonna say back to them "well you're too fat"

The bottom line (no pun intended) is that being "skinny" - negative conotations or not - is more desirable than being fat. I think in our society calling someone skinny is not always meant as an insult, although many thin people take it that way. Calling someone fat is inarguably much more hurtful, and intended to be hurtful. Being fat is not desirable, hence calling someone "too fat" (evem if it were true) would be, IMHO, much crueler than being called skinny.

There has always been shame associated with being overweight, and not with being thin. In a society where 60% of people are overweight, it is ironic that being fat is perceived as some sort of character flaw, and not just a fitness/nutritional issue.

Susan L.G.

Rhonda, you have a good attitude. Susan I agree about the negative conotation that is asscoiated with being "fat".

Rhonda I think as we age you start to know people and know human nature. People aren't out there to get you and be hurtful, though sometimes people definitely can be rude. I am still young but when I was younger I had a really hard time with my MIL. In retrospect I realize I was supersensitive (sometimes still can be) and would blow things all out of proportion.

Lori

People aren't out there to get you and be
>hurtful, though sometimes people definitely can be rude.

This is an excellent point.

Susan L.G.

I love dressing like a teen. I'm 36 & am very proud that I can still wear kids clothes.

Besides, I'm very immature for my age & act like I'm 16 anyway. :D

Just wated to throw in my $.02

I used to be quite offended when i was called skinny, but it was when i really was too thin. And i've noticed, at least among my friends, that the only ones who get offended when they are called skinny are the ones who are actually too thin. Those who are a healthy weight take it as a compliment. As do i. I love being called skinny, because in actuality i'm not. I am 5'5" and used to weight 118, and when people called me skinny i was quite offended. Now i weigh 125 and love the compliments!

Anyways... that's just my experience :)

:+ have a great day!

>>i ranted about this over at ya ya's a few weeks ago...
>>GRRRRRR
>>i swore that the next time someone said to me "you're too
>>skinny" i was gonna say back to them "well you're too fat"
>
>
>The bottom line (no pun intended) is that being "skinny" -
>negative conotations or not - is more desirable than being
>fat. I think in our society calling someone skinny is not
>always meant as an insult, although many thin people take it
>that way. Calling someone fat is inarguably much more
>hurtful, and intended to be hurtful. Being fat is not
>desirable, hence calling someone "too fat" (evem if it were
>true) would be, IMHO, much crueler than being called skinny.
>
>There has always been shame associated with being overweight,
>and not with being thin. In a society where 60% of people are
>overweight, it is ironic that being fat is perceived as some
>sort of character flaw, and not just a fitness/nutritional
>issue.
>
>Susan L.G.

Ditto Susan!! I usually get called "Tiny" (I'm petite) but if someone calls me "Skinny" I definitely take it as a compliment. :)

I posted on the other thread about this comment and that being skinny in this society is "acceptable". Calling someone "fat" is meant to be mean and hurtful.

:)

"I do think that many people need to stop being SO sensitive about remarks. "

so when someone calls me skinny and then i call them fat.. and they get offended.. they, too are being to "so sensitive"...

and it's inevitably (spelling) someone who is plump who calls me skinny.... never another thin person! so i do believe it's meant as an insult and/or jealousy.....

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.