Foam Rolling Upper Body

BlakKat

Cathlete
I was curious about this one since I've only rolled my back before and wanted to see ways to roll other upper body parts. As always, Cathe explains everything very well as she guides through the workout. I was really surprised at how sore my lats were when I rolled them; it's not like I work them any more than any other part but I could barely put my body weight on it. I especially liked the Slide Straddle stretch and the Thoracic Open Book stretch (similar to paint the rainbow). I really liked this and felt like it had some mobility type stretches in with the foam rolling. It was a quick routine that you could easily add on at end of a workout or just by itself if you had knots or tension you wanted to get out. Another great addition Cathe; thank you!

I was curious about this one since I've only rolled my back before and wanted to see ways to roll other upper body parts. As always, Cathe explains everything very well as she guides through the workout. I was really surprised at how sore my lats were when I rolled them; it's not like I work them any more than any other part but I could barely put my body weight on it. I especially liked the Slide Straddle stretch and the Thoracic Open Book stretch (similar to paint the rainbow). I really liked this and felt like it had some mobility type stretches in with the foam rolling. It was a quick routine that you could easily add on at end of a workout or just by itself if you had knots or tension you wanted to get out. Another great addition Cathe; thank you!
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your review! I'm thrilled to hear how much you're enjoying this workout :)

This was the first workout I chose to do as it had been one that I was really looking forward to. This workout did not disappoint! As BlakKat stated my lats got a good foam rolling and the “open book” helped me to discover some mobility issues on one side. Will definitely be reaching for this one often. BTW the Lower Body Foam rolling was amazing as well, gets that IT band so good!
Amy

Thank you for the review! I have never really done rolling before but have heard some positive comments from people who have!

I did this and the lower body one yesterday, too. My lats were barking at me. Nice guidance. I'm not sure how frequently I'd do a full follow-along of these since, as she mentions, there are times where I really need to spend extra time on a particular area. But it's good to see some examples of exercises so you know what positions can get in and tackle targeted areas.

Little tip she didn't give on the IT band in the lower body rolling workout - you can really intensify the pressure by stacking your legs one on top of the other like you're in a side plank position. Don't try it until you're ready for it, though. It can be pretty brutal.

I did this and the lower body one yesterday, too. My lats were barking at me. Nice guidance. I'm not sure how frequently I'd do a full follow-along of these since, as she mentions, there are times where I really need to spend extra time on a particular area. But it's good to see some examples of exercises so you know what positions can get in and tackle targeted areas.

Little tip she didn't give on the IT band in the lower body rolling workout - you can really intensify the pressure by stacking your legs one on top of the other like you're in a side plank position. Don't try it until you're ready for it, though. It can be pretty brutal.
Thanks for the tip ... I've been working on an irritatated IT band for awhile ...

I did both foam rolling workouts and thought the upper was fun! Something about the use of the roller and the music made the stretches fresh and carefree? The sequence is great and I will happily memorize to do on my own.

My back/ chest and hip/low back really felt fantastic afterwards .:cool:

Cathe cracked me up when she said in the lower body foam rolling how we needed to make friends with the roller.. :p :D

I did the lower and upper premix today, approx. 30 minutes. I liked how for the upper body Cathe incorporated moves that use the foam roller to assist rather than just rolling, e.g. the side leaning stretch, thoracic stretch etc. I am no stranger to foam rollers having used them quite a bit for Pilates and I have used them to assist as well as to roll. Most foam roller workouts you see just give the rolling part and they can be used for quite a bit more than that. A couple of things that I have found work better for me and others may find useful. When rolling my quads, I tend to come down onto my elbows rather than being up on my hands. I have issues with my wrists so I find the less I can do on my hands the easier it is. When doing both lower and upper body I tend to do the lower body first. When doing the lower body you are supporting your weight using your upper body and I find my upper body gets tight. It's nice to fully roll out and release my upper body afterwards.

I did the lower and upper premix today, approx. 30 minutes. I liked how for the upper body Cathe incorporated moves that use the foam roller to assist rather than just rolling, e.g. the side leaning stretch, thoracic stretch etc. I am no stranger to foam rollers having used them quite a bit for Pilates and I have used them to assist as well as to roll. Most foam roller workouts you see just give the rolling part and they can be used for quite a bit more than that. A couple of things that I have found work better for me and others may find useful. When rolling my quads, I tend to come down onto my elbows rather than being up on my hands. I have issues with my wrists so I find the less I can do on my hands the easier it is. When doing both lower and upper body I tend to do the lower body first. When doing the lower body you are supporting your weight using your upper body and I find my upper body gets tight. It's nice to fully roll out and release my upper body afterwards.
Great summary! Thank you

Just did the upper body one today and I will be reaching for this one often. I have knots between my shoulder blades that get really painful at times and the first stretch laying on the roller felt so good. I also felt the knot in my right lat. That didn't feel so good but clearly I'll need to work on it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.