Foam Rollers?

Lucy, if you wouldn't mind a quick question/request for help. I've discovered that my lower back/hip issues are likely due to extremely tight psoas. I've been trying to work out the trigger points w/a TP ball (lie on my stomach, ball 1-2 inches to the side of my navel, come up into a cobra pose to target it. Do you have any advice or should I just persist with what I'm doing.

Hi Swimmer! My name is Margie, btw. :) I have tight hip flexors as well and while I don't personally use a TP ball, I've heard good things about it. A few questions...how long have you been using the TP ball? What's your comfort level when using it? Do you feel like it's helping to release your tight muscles?

Hey Margie, thanks for following up! I enjoyed watching your video. Also, I clicked on the Facebook and Twitter links from your blog site and in order to like or follow you and the links take me to my own Facebook and Twitter pages. When I tried searching, I couldn't find you. Just FYI.

Hey Margie, thanks for following up! I enjoyed watching your video. Also, I clicked on the Facebook and Twitter links from your blog site and in order to like or follow you and the links take me to my own Facebook and Twitter pages. When I tried searching, I couldn't find you. Just FYI.

Uh oh...I guess I better have my web designer look into that. Thanks so much for letting me know!! Perhaps these links will make it easier for you to find me. :)

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LucyFitPT

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LucyFitPT

Hi Swimmer! My name is Margie, btw. :) I have tight hip flexors as well and while I don't personally use a TP ball, I've heard good things about it. A few questions...how long have you been using the TP ball? What's your comfort level when using it? Do you feel like it's helping to release your tight muscles?

Margie, sorry about that (actually, I love "Margie"---my aunt is a Margery and goes by Margie). In any event, it seems to be helping. Been using it for several days, less than a week, and it hurts but not to an unbearable level. My lower back isn't as sore/tight since I started doing it, although I can tell my pelvis is still tilted, making my glutes tight. I'm pretty sure this is causing me to have functional scoliosis, too. It's very difficult for me to do forward folds because my lower back/glutes are extremely tight. I think years of leaning forward in my chair at work---for hours at a time--is the primary cause (in addition to dumping into my right hip when standing and sitting).

Should have listened to mom, "sit/stand up straight!"

Margie, sorry about that (actually, I love "Margie"---my aunt is a Margery and goes by Margie). In any event, it seems to be helping. Been using it for several days, less than a week, and it hurts but not to an unbearable level. My lower back isn't as sore/tight since I started doing it, although I can tell my pelvis is still tilted, making my glutes tight. I'm pretty sure this is causing me to have functional scoliosis, too. It's very difficult for me to do forward folds because my lower back/glutes are extremely tight. I think years of leaning forward in my chair at work---for hours at a time--is the primary cause (in addition to dumping into my right hip when standing and sitting).

Should have listened to mom, "sit/stand up straight!"

My parents named me Marjorie...but Margie sounds friendlier and less formal. :)

If you've only been using the ball for a week, I'd continue using it to see if it helps over time. I have scoliosis and my body is all-kinds-of-messed-up but I've found continuous stretching helps. If you look at my website (www.LucyFitPT.com), you'll notice in some of my pictures that my left shoulder is higher than my right. But that's just the beginning...my hips are tilted and rotated and my right leg is longer than my left. The list goes on and on...

I spend a lot of time in my car every day so obviously that doesn't help matters. I find that when I use a foam roller (or, in your case, a ball) my muscles are more relaxed and my body is more aligned. If I slack off, I stiffen up and it goes downhill from there.

Keep me posted on your progress. I'm interested in knowing if the ball makes a significant improvement for you.

I use one everyday on my upper back area. I lay on the roller and hug myself to get my shoulder blades out of the way. I do 10 passes flat, 10 passes tilted to the left and 10 passes tilted to the right. The foam roller is awesome. I was introduced to it in 2012 when I went to Airrosti physical therapy for a neck/shoulder problem.

Amanda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.