Flat butt

JoanofLark

Hi Cathe,
I have been following most of your exercise programs and especially try to work more on my legs and glutes as I have a flat butt. I have read up on whatever I can find on how to build a rounder behind, I keep reading that squats with heavy weights is the answer. Will this work? How heavy should the weights be? I have been working at it faithfully and still don't see any changes.

Same problem here! I am actually surprised how much work it's taking! I just got the squat wrack this summer and upped my squats to 55 lbs. and lunges to 50 lbs with Slow & Heavy.
Now it amazes me that I once thought lifting 25 lbs. or 2 x 15 lbs dbs. would do the trick!

Cathe, please make more heavy leg routines like S&H Legs!!!

This has nothing to do with working out, but make sure that your pants have pockets on them, preferably flap pockets. They also need to be more up or in the middle than down too low (the pockets), and their spacing has to be right - you don't want them too close together or far apart. This may be something you already do, but thought I would throw in my two cents. My DH has a flat one, as does his mom and his dad did too so he was pretty much out of luck! I don't have one, but my brother sort of does and he just does tons of butt exercises and with lots and lots of work, he can get to a point where he feels ok. Good luck getting some junk in your trunk!! :)

SQUATS SQUATS and did I mention SQUATS :) Seems to work for me.

Pinkpuffer: try Butts and Guts--it will get ya--and get ya good. :) As Cathe says :)

Squats

Hi JoanofLark (very cute)! Yes, the answer is heavy squats and lunges too. The trick is finding the right amount of weight that doesn't overstress your lower back and knees. And because any weight will do this to some degree, you need to factor a good 48 hours recovery between your workouts. I see it as the heavier the weight, the longer your recovery should be. Here is also where I suggest using a weighted vest. This will help you add weight to your program while helping to aleviate the stress on the low back (since you can put a little less weight on your barbell helping to reduce the stress to the lower back.....which can sometimes happen when squatting with a loaded barbell over the top of you shoulders/traps). Also, the weighted vest is excellent to do with any form of lunges but I especially love how it feels with walking lunges since my arms are now free to assist me with balance as I walk/lunge forward. Ease into any program by doing lighter weights and gradually build yourself up. I wouldn't suggest more than 2 spaced apart days per week (MAX) when lifting heavy on legs. Good Luck

One word: kettlebells (especially heavy swings with them).
I'll bet won't find anyone who does kettlebells regularly who has a flat butt.

How about it, Cathe: interested in getting certified in KB and coming up with a workout for us in the future?;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.