Fitness 2008: The Year in Review!

sparrow13

Cathlete
So here we are kick, punch and crunching our way to 2009! Did you guys meet your fitness and wellness goals this year? What would you do better/more/less/differently?

For me, I had a mixed bag of a year. P90x Plus was a fantastic addition to my collection and I saw great results. I also started Cardio Coach which is AMAZING and I am eternally grateful to Miss Michele for introducing me to Coach Sean!! My legs have never looked better and I hope to someday be able to show them to Coach Sean in person (TOTALLY KIDDING!!! Heh.) CC also helped me annihilate a creeping cardio boredom! I also started meditating daily, something I have been meaning to do for *years.*

On the down side I was not able to incorporate as much yoga as I had hoped, due to both time and interest constraints. I was also sidelined by Lyme disease for a while. My biggest problem though has been workout ennui. I've really had to push myself just to keep going this year.

Anyone else want to share?

Sparrow

Great Idea Sparrow!!!

Well, 2008 has definately had it's ups and downs... While I did not start my fitness journey (again) until August of this year, I have made some great strides if for no other reason than I started moving again! I decided to set a few small goals, as making dramatic life changes all at once seem to be a sure fire derail for me... and while there have been some set backs due to business travel a few times, I have to say that I am pretty proud of myself for getting in some kind of cardio and/or weight training workout an average of 5 times a week... when I think of all the time wasted and where I could have been had I not let myself go, it gives me even more resolve to make this time a life choice and a permenant change! At my 1 year anniversary, I want to look FANTASTIC, not chubby as in my wedding pictures! I'm on my way baby!

Starting the new year, I am taking my second challenge and clean up my eating. I ordered STS and can't wait to see what kinds of changes that will make in my body. I would also like to incorporate more stretching in my routine... I am short and stocky, so flexibility is limited but I know that with a little work it could be so much better!

also a mini-challenge to myself is to not go overboard during the Holidays with all the eating and goodies... everything in moderation but I do not have to overindulge this year!

Thanks again Sparrow for helping me to focus on what I have achieved and to celebrate it, and also look forward to the future!:)

Love this idea!

What a great thread!!! I was able to stick to all of my fitness goals--to remain healthy, but was sidelined with a wicked ankle sprain over Memoral Day on the way to a yoga conference!!! That bit. Anyway, I was able to still do cardio, but no Cathe. I could flex and extend my left ankle, but not rotate it at all. I've been lax in my yoga practice, but can't get over Cathe and am loving every workout!! I'm 19 weeks+ preggo so I'm not trying to improve anymore--just going with the flow and enjoying my fitness.

The year that it finally clicked!

Yep...this year I put to good use all of the things that we already know. I found an awesome fitness friend who runs group workouts. I have remained committed to this group (It is an ever-changing group with the same leader). I am down about 30 pounds (from last October), but even better...I am down inches and several sizes.

I have learned what to eat and what works for my body. At 39 years old...it's about time!! I feel so much better about my strength and endurance. I am still working on pushing myself during the workout (mostly interval training outdoors), but the competitiveness edge that I have often helps with that.

I am still working on not being tempted and then going way overboard, and then having to re-gain all of my progress (with eating). This year I am going to allow myself small treats in moderation for all of the holiday goodies!! When I limit myself completely, I go crazy and overindulge.

I don't have a set goal this time, which I think is helping me. In the past it was always...this vacation, this party, a race or some other event that would precipitate my weight loss/strength gains.

So far so good. I am loving that clothes are baggy and I need new sizes. I love passing on my clothes to someone who really needs them, too (I have a friend in my old size...not doing so well economically, so she loves getting my clothing!!).

This is a good thread!! Thanks for inspiring me to evaluate my fitness year!!
Jenn

My biggest fitness goal this year was to run a 5K and a 10K. I did both and got addicted to racing. So far this year I have done 13 - 5Ks, a 8K, 10K, 13K, and 15K and will be ending the year with a 1/2 marathon. I had no plans beyond the 10K that I did in April so this has been an unexpected treat this year. I'm not the fastest runner by any means but I did place a couple of times in my age group.

I also left the fitness boot camp that I had been attending for almost 2 years for various reasons but I realized that I can have my own boot camp and have merged my love of crossfit and kettlebells into some great workouts.

Better yet, I have continued to push and challenge myself in all my workouts. My focus now is not on the scale but to be fit and healthy.

This was the first year in many that I have managed to maintain my fitness all year. I ran a marathon in September and I went back to teaching fitness classes over the summer. I became a certified personal trainer just recently, and I have taken "real" yoga classes for the first time ever... Let's see, I think that's pretty impressive for a single year. Again, I've been one to go hard for 3 months and then blow the rest of the year off! I have a different mentality this year, I don't have to be perfect. I just have to be healthy and happy. And treats are OK in moderation! :)

Charlene

Well, yes & no. I had a 10 lb weight gain, which puts me in the "no" category, but w/the weight gain came some incredible strength gains. I broke a 5 year plateau. So that puts me in the "yes" category.

Then I had surgery & lost my strength gains. Back in "no." Especially b/c I'm still carrying that extra 10.

$hit on a shingle! :confused: I'm SO looking forward to 2009! :p

I had a pretty mediocre-at-best fitness year.
Harder to find time in my schedule for regular workouts.

One highlight was my first walking race, where I came in 4th (prizes only to top 3). Next time, I'll know to start at the very front line, not worry about my MP3 player and slow down to futz with it.

I discovered:

1) weight training

and...

2) eating well doesn't have to suck. :)

My goal for 2009 is to continue to heavy-up the weights. And maybe doing one of the Hardcore Extreme workouts without feeling like I'm going to die.

Over all I'd say it was a good year. I accomplished a big goal of mine and finished a triathlon!!!!! I wanted to run another half marathon but broke my toe and wasn't able to do that. But... I am signed up for a half marathon in May '09 so I'll be ready for that!

I feel that I am stronger, more fit, and ready for a new year!

2008 was the first calendar year of my life that I have worked out consistently ALL.YEAR.LONG. That's pretty major for me. I also found that I actually CAN run a mile, and that was thrilling!!

My hopes for 2009 would be to #1) finish STS looking amazing and #2) convince by DH to buy me a treadmill, then train for a 5K.

Ok, so HOW did you do this??? the world would like to know! or at least I would.... :)
:D Well, I'm one of those weird people who likes spinach.

I don't know...I just started replacing my regular meals with healthier alternatives. I didn't do it all at once, which may have made the difference. At first I just replaced breakfast. Then as I got used to that, I replaced breakfast and lunch, etc. Pretty soon I had developed a taste for the healthier stuff.

Also hugely helpful: My Cheat Day. :eek: It's waaaay easier for me to eat well when I know I have a whole day coming up where I can eat any way I'd like. As time went on, even my Cheat Days became no big deal. I still have one, but I find myself not craving as much stuff as I used to.

My biggest fitness accomplishment this year would be getting my black belt. I do wish I could have eaten a little healthier and cleaner so that would be my goal for next year. That and completing STS. !!! I would also love to get trained to teach Group Groove!!

Kristin

Great thread!!

My biggest fitness accomplishment this past year was the fact that I was able to participate in all of Cathe's classes at the July RT, including step! Since then, I have found out that I really shouldn't be doing step..but that's beside the point.

In addition, I am really enjoying jogging, what I like so much about it is that you can reap the benefits, regardless of speed..I'm built more for endurance.

My goals for 2009 are to keep my fitness priorities right where they are...exercise for overall health, not the mirror..to incorporate more yoga, and to continue improving at jogging!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.