Favorite fragrance

I like very light fragrances, and mainly the "fruity" ones.

DeciDela by Nina Ricci
Anais Anais by Cacharel
Mademoiselle by Chanel

Lori-
In my amateur opinion, Lauren "Romance" is a copy (rip-off?) of Chanel "Allure", but the Allure is a bit better. Just my opinion though.

Marla, you're funny. My linen closet leaves my sheets smelling musty, so when I put fresh sheets on my bed, I spray some body mist on them, otherwise the musty smell literally makes me sick. So it's more of a necessity than a nicety. :-( I can't figure out how to get that awful smell out of my linen closet. I've tried everything!

Looks like I'll have to try Happy by Clinique since several people mentioned it.

Some of my current daytime favorites are: 212 by Carolina Herrera, Blue by Ralph Lauren (pure gardenia), Safari by Ralph Lauren (I think I've been wearing it for 20 years and haven't tired of it yet!) and Allure by Chanel.

There was a woman in my office who wore so much Chanel Chance that we all got sick of it and I haven't worn mine since. I think it's very important to be conscious of how much you put on and to wear what's appropriate for your surroundings.

I you like Ralph Lauren Blue (my Favorite!) you would also like Chanel Gardenia. It is a reintroduction of the perfume from I believe the 20's. It was limited edition so you will have to check of it is atill available but if you like gardenia you wil LOVE it!!

Shellie:)

I am a fragrance junky.

My favorite all time fragrance is Tresor. I bought it on a cruise that my DH and I were on to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. That was 11 years ago.

I also love Hana Mori, Clinque Happy and I recently tried some Maybe Baby by Benefit at the mall and have asked DH for that for XMas.

I got a sample of the new Avon fragrance. I can't remember the name but it smells very clean.

Tracy

I wear Liz Claiborne, Clinique: Happy and to make me feel really good, I wear Chanel No5.

My mom bought me a bottle of it for my birthday. It makes me feel heavenly!

Danna

I only wear fragrance when I go out. Can't wear it to work. I love Obsession but DH hates it, so I wear Poison or Hugo Boss Woman. Polar opposites IMO. I smelled the new Prada & loved it. Next on my list. I always wore whatever I was in the mood for.

Marla

I tend to go for the headier fragrances. My favorite are Hypnotic Poision and Dior Addict.

Chanel No. 5.
Opium.
Aromatics by Clinique.
Muguet des Bois by Coty.

I just ordered a whole bunch of samples from the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab web site. People raved about their fragrances at Makeupalley.com. The BPAL web site made me want them even more.

In my single, carefree days I was a perfume junkie...just couldn't get enough of it. Now that I have "others" to worry about, I'm limited in my perfume allowance.

Anyway, my all time favorite is Casmir by Chopard. Just love it! I also really like Tresor by Lancome and Intuition by Estee Lauder.

My favorite fragrance is the one I can't smell, because I am allergic to fragrance (perfume, cologne, scented lotion or soap). Some fragrances make me very sick...so I guess it's a good thing it wasn't me they sprayed at Bloomingdale's or there'd have been some problems.

For those of you who are not allergic to fragrance, please be aware of those of us who are (and the numbers are growing). Be considerate and only put on enough so that only the person right next to you can smell it and not everybody in the whole room. I have been to movies before where I am assaulted from all sides by perfume and cologne and have to choose whether to make myself sick and watch the movie or get up and leave. I now only go to matinees when the theater is relatively empty. It's gotten so bad that I am afraid to go to large social gatherings because I inevitably wind up next to someone who smells like they bathed in fragrance and I end up very sick afterward. Dealing with this problem at work is even worse!

So, please everyone, be thoughtful of those around you before you spritz on the scents.

Thanks!

>I just want to mention that there are people out there who get
>migraines and such from artifical perfume chemicals, and most
>of the ones in department stores and such are artificial.

Yep, that's one of the symptoms I get -- a severe and debilitating migraine. It only takes a few seconds of exposure to one of the "kiss of death" fragrances to bring on a migraine, and then I'm down the rest of the day. My work suffers, I can't exercise, I can barely eat...it's awful! Some scents cause me to have mild to severe asthma attacks. Some make me nauseous. Some make me dizzy. Others do all of the above.

You're right about the artificial thing. Studies have shown that perfume and cologne contribute more to indoor pollution than cigarette smoke. It's because fragrances are made with chemicals...and some of these chemicals are poisonous. This is why the one poster gets a rash and people develop headaches. Headaches are a natural reaction to exposure to poisonous gas, and a cloud of perfume is really just a gaseous cloud.

Sorry to burst the "happy" bubble here, but I had to say my piece, as one who is extremely sensitive to fragrance. It wasn't always so. I used to love Windsong and Vanderbilt and Forever Crystal...but then I started getting sick when I wore them and finally figured out that it was the perfume. My reactions are the strongest to those scents that are similar to the ones I used to wear.

I don't notice this as much any more, but I remember being assailed with the odor of "too strong" perfume by a former teacher, as well as some students. It's very annoying and while I am not allergic, it makes me tend to not breath as deeply as I should because I don't want to breath that all in.

Some people don't get that perfume should be used in small quantities (like spraying it in the air and walking through the spray): something that people get a slight wiff of and want to get closer because it's appealing, and not something that makes people want to get as far away as possible.

One of the magazines I subscribe to (Self?) has started carrying adds for perfume that contain samples. It is so strong and obnoxious, it makes me sneeze or want to not breath around it. Don't THEY get that people are allergic to it, and they could be harming some of their readers?

nancy, I love Chanel Allure! I have smelled that when it first came out. I have forgotten about it and will get that instead, thanks for the tip.

Lori

Has anybody smelled Kors by Michael Kors? That is a good one too.

I have a little story;

Mandy Moore was in the elevator with my hairdressers dh while he was doing business in NYC. I could care less about celebrities but I asked my hairdresser what he said about her. Well, he didn't talk to her but he said "she smelled soooo good." That very same morning she was on Regis and Kelly. Kelly said, "you smell wonderful, what are you wearing?" and Mandy Moore replied, "oh, it's just a lotion." A couple days later she was on a MTV show, Total Request Live. The host of that show said "you smell great, what are you wearing?" Mandy said, "Stella, by Stella McCartney".

I think this is interesting because the men noticed it. A lot of guys don't like perfume so it's nice to find out which ones they like.

Lori

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I must have the same taste as worknprogress4life/Sandy!

It has chocolate undertones. Yummm!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.