Fast Food Nation

I completely agree Amy!! :)

Becki

Thanks Becki! I didn't mean this comment to sound disrespectful. I actually think that it must be really hard for ranchers to make this "switch". I have a hard time with emotional and logical inconsistency. I cannot comprehend the psychological acrobatics that must be required to go from nurturing and loving the cattle in the beginning to sending them off to be slaughtered and ground up into hamburger in the end.

Amy

> I don't believe that animals are equals. And for the same reason I would never force you > eat a hamburger, you need to understand and respect that there
> are people out there that eat meat, that will never change.

I am a long-time vegetarian. I never tell people (aside from this post - hee hee) or notify them that I am vegetarian. When I am at an event / reception / party I simply eat what I can and don't make a fuss if there aren't meatless options. There is a reason that I don't share that information -- I have had people attempt to pick at or start arguments with me over it. It's as though when some people discover that I am vegetarian they think they should start a debate about my other decisions to wear shoes with leather on them for example. I have chosen to draw the line where I want, and despite the fact that I keep it to myself, it never fails that someone will get defensive about their decision to eat meat upon discovering that I am vegetarian.

As for the above note that "I don't believe that animals are equals," I have a different opinion. I am not exactly sure what was meant by that comment. We are all living breathing beings. Yes, we appear to have certain skills unique to humans -- we have quickly learned how to deplete natural resources, poison ourselves with processed foods, tobaccos and alcohols, fill portions of the earth with trash and waste, and develop technologies. I don't believe that this makes us better or above another one of the creatures that was also created to live on this earth. Just because we believe we are smarter than other creatures does not mean we are so. Because cows or other animals move slow, don't speak or communicate in a way we understand, don't create i-pods, mortgages, or other things we view as setting the human race apart, does not indicate that animals are in any way below us or not equal to us.

All living things on this earth are important, and I won't disregard the life of another animal because I think that I may be "smarter" or "above" that animal. That is similar to implying that it would be acceptable to take advantage of someone that is mentally challenged. I don't necessarily have a problem with eating for survival -- I think that it can be done in excess and we have removed the hunt and death part of it from most of our society. A lot of people don't view the chicken nuggets in front of them as an animal anymore. They are just processed and packaged and we didn't have to experience any of the negativity, death or pain that was involved in the process.

Sorry for the long post -- as you can see I don't post often. Sorry if there are typos.

Monica

First I want to say that farmers and ranchers are just that because of a love for animals and the land that they work. It certainly is not for the money. Ranchers and farmers are pretty dang happy to break even at the end of the year.
Cattle are not treated in this horrific manner that you all have witnessed through media. Their death is fast and painless. We are able to love these animals and then send them to slaughter because we are very much realists and understand that humans and livestock aren't equals.
I truely believe that for the most part this whole topic has been civil and I think that it is a wonderful way to educate one another on the believes that we all hold. This nation grows and becomes strong because we don't all agree on everything. I also don't have a problem with vegitarians or vegans. I only get defensive when they insinuate that I am uneducated and try to tell me how to live my life.

As a vegetarian, I can really empathize with the points made earlier about why vegans/vegetarians come across as pushy sometimes. But I will never, ever comment on someone's choice to eat meat.

What I have come to realize is that there are so many horrible things going on in the world, one person really can't research, learn about, and try to fix them all. You have to look at the issues you care most about, and do your part to solve those problems.

I really think that most people are trying to do what they can to help. Some people choose to be vegetarians, some volunteer for soup-kitchens, some donate to Saint Jude's, some adopt and love at-risk children, some go into the Peace Corps, some knit prayer-blankets with their church groups... but most people are trying to do something.

I have chosen to be a vegetarian, bike or use public transportation to commute to work, and have volunteered to coach local Special Olympics swim teams for several seasons. Those are some of the things I care about.

My in-laws, on the other hand, eat plenty of meat, but they took early retirement from their full-salaried jobs to work as full-time volunteers for Habitat for Humanity International. They spent years living out of suitcases while setting up affiliates all over Asia. They led the first Habitat teams in Sri-Lanka to begin rebuilding after the tsunami. My best friend, also not a vegetarian, volunteers her time providing free literacy training to adults.

If my friend, husband, in-laws, co-workers, etc. were to become interested in vegetarianism, I would be elated and share with them whatever I could to help. But if I try to coerce them into it, or become judgemental of their eating choices, I am taking their time and energy from the things they are addressing that I, frankly, am not really doing much about myself.

So I am grateful for the things they do to make the world better; I am happy to spend meals with them, happy to bring myself to their tables or invite them to mine... as I will certainly be doing tomorrow (Happy Thanksgiving, all!)

I need to clarify my statement I see. In someone elses post they said something to the effect of all animals being equal. No pets and livestock. I don't see it that way I see it the other way. I believe in raising livestock for food, Beef, poultry, fish, pork. And I have my pets too.

Well this has been a terrific discussion and I'm glad it's remained mostly civil. That's not always easy when people feel as passionately as they do about things. :) I justed wanted to comment on the animals as equals point of view. Animals and humans are not equals in terms of abilities. Many animals are physically superior to humans. They possess superior eyesight, hearing, hunting skills, speeds etc. However, humans are superior in the "big one" that puts us at at the top of the evolutionary ladder: sentience, otherwise known as consciousness or self-awareness. Animals are not self-aware. They don't think about their lives, ponder their choices, or engage in philosophical musings. I know some would say, "how do you know?" I'm no scientist but it's my understanding that from an evolutionary perspective, higher reasoning can't hide, and biological cream rises to the top. So if animals could do these things, we would know it. Of course this in no way gives us license to mistreat animals!

If there are any evolutionary scientists on the board I'd love to hear from you on this.

Sparrow

My garden is filled with papayas and mangos
My life is a mixture of reggaes and tangos
Taste for the good life, I can live it no other way
- Jimmy Buffett

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.