Exercising with an umbilical hernia

emigliori

Cathlete
Well, I have not been on the forum or posted for a couple months. On my very first day starting the 90 day Xtrain rotation I discovered I had an umbilical hernia. I can't explain how I figured it out, it just felt weird and after some self examination I found the small pea sized bump right behind my umbilicus.

This was confirmed by my Dr., who also said it was too small to operate, BUT that I do have to be careful not to make it any worse.

I got really discouraged and took about 2 months off and it is starting to show. Not just physically but in my mood too.

Exercise is encouraged but no heavy lifting and super high impact like hiit or tabata are out as well as yoga and traditional ab work. Also no burpees, mountain climbers etc. Fun, huh?!

So I have been carefully putting a rotation together and wanted to see if any of you guys had any ideas.

Here's what I'd be safe to use:
Athletic Training
Low Impact Challenge
Turbo Barre
B&G (no barbell)
All out low impact hiit only step and standing (no chair or ball)
Xtrain Legs

Hopefully you can see where I'm headed with this. I have tons of Cathe vids and wouldn't be opposed to buying another if it suited my needs. Or even another instructor if there is a good one out there. I even thought about rebounding.

Feeling kind of discouraged right now and trying to figure out how to make things work. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and hope you are all well!

Elizabeth

Sent from my iPhone using CatheForum

I would get a second opinion!

I had an umbilical hernia for 12 years and worked out with no problems. I had it fixed a couple of years ago when it started to bug me when I was doing pullups, and was working out a couple of weeks later.

Sounds like your doctor is being way too conservative IMO. If it doesn't bother you most doctors would tell you do whatever you want.

I'm an RN and take care of patients with this problem every day. Good luck!:)

JoeJack,

That is good to hear. I am very anxious to get back to exercising as it has left a big void in my life. I have been doing a lot of internet searching and I have seen that this is a common problem, even with heavy lifters. Just curious, is there anything you think I absolutely should NOT do?

Thanks so much for your reply!

Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

I am so sorry to hear about your hernia :(. I don't blame you for feeling discouraged and frustrated. Hugs to you!

I really don't have any advice to give -- although I wish I did :(. FWIW, my DH did have one removed about 10yrs ago (it was pretty big). He was heavy lifting at the time, and continued to do so after the surgery.

I echo what joejack says, and perhaps get a 2nd opinion.

All the best & take care :)

Elizabeth,
I had 2 hernia repair surgeries in the past 3 years:confused:. Each one after I had my last two children. Mine were ventral hernias, though. I probably did not have to get them repaired, but I wanted peace of mind. I did not want to wait for them to get worse. With my luck, that would probably happen when my husband and I finally got some time away to go on a relaxing island vacation:). Anyway, after both surgeries, my surgeon told me I could do almost everything I did before having the surgery except for heavy squat work and moving heavy furniture. I don't do those things, and I listen to my body. I am back doing Cathe full-force, except for some minor adaptations to ab work.
Hope this helps.
-Jen

I also have a hernia, but not umbilical. My hernia was diagnosed about 20 years ago right on/near my sternum and xyphoid process. My dr. also said that I did not need surgery and he was right. I have been fine lo these many years. I can just feel the bump, but it never has really bugged me.

Best wishes.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your kind words, I really appreciate it. My doc says it's so small I should go ahead and continue with my exercising, I just need to be careful with lifting and ab work. So today I wrote up a rotation for myself. I incorporated high reps, pyramid upper body and various lower body Cathe dvd's that did not require barbell work, or at least could be easily modified to dumbell. And of course cardio :p

I feel very out of shape, I have not really done much more than walk occasionally since the first week of January. I am anxious to get going. I start Monday. Wish me luck! And thanks again. It's really wonderful how supportive this forum is.

Elizabeth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.