Eczema

Hi!
I was wondering, do you(or should you) brush and floss your teeth if you do oil pulling? It's sounds very intriguing.

thanks,

Yes to both! I remember reading about this *oil pulling* a couple of years back and was intrigued, but it also sounded gross :confused: . However, I've had this little fissure on my gums above one of my teeth for years and it concerned me because it seemed to be getting worse so I gave it a try for a couple of weeks (like a month). It really helped that inflamed area to the point where I have to look really hard to find the area now...pretty much gone and I don't think about it anymore. The side benefit was the whiter teeth and really healthy gums. Think of this as extra to brushing and flossing and do it a couple of times a week.

Yes to both! I remember reading about this *oil pulling* a couple of years back and was intrigued, but it also sounded gross :confused: . However, I've had this little fissure on my gums above one of my teeth for years and it concerned me because it seemed to be getting worse so I gave it a try for a couple of weeks (like a month). It really helped that inflamed area to the point where I have to look really hard to find the area now...pretty much gone and I don't think about it anymore. The side benefit was the whiter teeth and really healthy gums. Think of this as extra to brushing and flossing and do it a couple of times a week.

Oh, okay, you don't do the oil pulling everyday, just a couple of times per week??

Oh, okay, you don't do the oil pulling everyday, just a couple of times per week??

Yup, I'm a minimalist here, I usually do it 3 maybe 4 times a week max. Plus sometimes I'm just in such a hurry, I don't do it at all for a couple of weeks. But don't go by me, everyone is different.

I do the oil pulling with extra virgin coconut oil. Its not too bad, but it is weird. I don't do it for than 4 minutes, I had heard online that you reabsorb the oil if you go beyond that. I don't know if its true. :p I only do it 3x/week. A couple of years ago I had a tooth removed and I do it for my gum health.

Update

Went to the dr yesterday for a follow up appointment. I have been given the green light for exercise!! She said I had to shower afterwards and apply lotion. Needless to say, that is very encouraging for this Cathlete.:D

She also is going to test my kidneys for their function, just in case I am oxalate sensitive (might be, Dad is.) I am now off the steroid cream, I have switched over to Florasone (on my own, not on her recommendation.) She said I could stop using the triamcinolone when it was no longer itching. I'm not to use the steroid cream for any longer than 2 weeks at a stretch because it will thin the skin.

I suffer from eczema also and it is miserable! I found that olive oil body butter cream from Serious Skin Care works better than anything. I have sensitive skin and I'm allergic to a lot of products. I've also been prescribed steroid creams but this stuff works the best. I order it off of HSN.

I've had terrible eczema since infancy, it's hereditary, and although it has improved over the years, I am constantly mindful of it...and should own stock in hydrocortisone cream! Several years ago, I stopped eating dairy and meat (except for fish) and stopped using soap--yep, I stopped using soap in the shower and only shampoo my hair once weekly. I still shower twice per day due to workouts, but am extraordinarily careful which products I use. Ever since, I've only had a few mild flare-ups that are easily controlled with OTC hydrocortisone.

So my advice is to avoid soap and limit washing your hands with it as much as possible, use coconut oil and gentle lotions like crazy, and if you're a perfume-lover like me, only spray it on your clothes. The single most important thing you can do is moisturize the crap out of your skin head to toe twice a day. Also consider changing laundry detergents, I'm pretty much exclusive to Purex Naturals. I think this may be the cause of most of the ankle rashes since your socks are pretty tight on your skin all day long.

Product recommendations: St. Ives oatmeal & shea body lotion, Eucerin calming body wash (which is essentially oil and does not really lather), Cetaphil for facial cleansing (Walmart makes a great generic), and all the coconut oil you can get your hands on. Co-washes are fantastic for keeping the hair greasies at bay and they're pretty prevalent of late; try L'Oreal Ever Crème cleansing conditioner. Your skin will thank you and you'll feel SO much better!

And box fans on high are a must for workouts, you definitely don't want sweat hanging out for long. Hope all this helps!!!

I've had terrible eczema since infancy, it's hereditary, and although it has improved over the years, I am constantly mindful of it...and should own stock in hydrocortisone cream! Several years ago, I stopped eating dairy and meat (except for fish) and stopped using soap--yep, I stopped using soap in the shower and only shampoo my hair once weekly. I still shower twice per day due to workouts, but am extraordinarily careful which products I use. Ever since, I've only had a few mild flare-ups that are easily controlled with OTC hydrocortisone.

So my advice is to avoid soap and limit washing your hands with it as much as possible, use coconut oil and gentle lotions like crazy, and if you're a perfume-lover like me, only spray it on your clothes. The single most important thing you can do is moisturize the crap out of your skin head to toe twice a day. Also consider changing laundry detergents, I'm pretty much exclusive to Purex Naturals. I think this may be the cause of most of the ankle rashes since your socks are pretty tight on your skin all day long.

Product recommendations: St. Ives oatmeal & shea body lotion, Eucerin calming body wash (which is essentially oil and does not really lather), Cetaphil for facial cleansing (Walmart makes a great generic), and all the coconut oil you can get your hands on. Co-washes are fantastic for keeping the hair greasies at bay and they're pretty prevalent of late; try L'Oreal Ever Crème cleansing conditioner. Your skin will thank you and you'll feel SO much better!

And box fans on high are a must for workouts, you definitely don't want sweat hanging out for long. Hope all this helps!!!

Thank you so much for the suggestions, I will try them all. I would not have thought of the l'oreal conditioner.

Whilst listening to the radio today I heard that the UK are considering banning MI (a preservative - methylisothiazolinone) in skin care products. It occurs in detergents as well, and has been shown to cause eczema. I have no idea whether it is allowed in the US, but it may be worth checking.
It is reckoned that up to 20% of the population may be allergic....

Justine

Hi, I use dermovate and find it excellent. The oatmeal suggestion is good and works. There is also a product called Balneum which is very helpful when used in the bath. Some tips for you as well including,

• Use a soap free cleanser to wash hands etc.
• Use a moisturising shower gel like Oilatum
• Use a moisture bath additive like Aveeno
• Use a good moisturiser like Aveeno
• Use it very frequently, you can't over-moisturise!
• Use antihistamines for itch, a non sedative one like loratidine in the morning and a sedative one such piriton at night.

Hope your early cure. Great day :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.