ebayers beware

Kit_

Cathlete
I just got done talking with a client and guess what she bought two Cathe DVDs on ebay. This seller has a high amount of sells and good feed back, but the DVDs she got won't play in her DVD play it keeps saying copied DVD. So I took a look, guess what this person copied Cathe DVD and now is selling them on ebay for about the same price. It has all the tattle-tail signs of a forged DVD :( I really feel bad for my client, but I thought I'd warn all of you, becareful on ebay. You may get it cheaper but it might not be the real thing, and it may not work with the new stuff they are putting in DVD players to stop playing copied DVDs.

This also is really upseting, why rip Cathe off as well as her followers who workout with her, I mean you buy one DVD and make 10 copies of it and sale it for $20, that gets you quite a bit of money in a hurry.

Kit x(

Did your client contact eBay and the seller? I am so sorry to hear that happened. I don't like buying from ebay anymore. I have watched too much People's Court. Fortunately, both (all 2!) of my experiences were good.

It is sad that people will take advantage of others like that and commit a crime in the process. That person deserves a good pounding. I think we can all take him/her!

Thank you for the warning!

Missy

It's also ILLEGAL to sell copies DVD's and Videos on Ebay. Your client should definitely report the seller.

Isn't it obvious by looking at the DVD (the label side) that it's not an original Cathe DVD? And it wouldn't have come in the original holder, unless the seller did a good job of forging it.

I sell on Ebay, and I'm always surprised when potential buyers email me to ask if the DVD or video is an original or a copy. I would never think of selling a copy (unless it were a copy of my own homemovies, which I would own the right to...but who would want that! LOL!). I guess there are people out there who don't care if it's illegal or unethical.

Actually the seller did a wonderful job at forging both the label on the cd and the case. That's why she brought it to me, and was wondering what was wrong with it, since it her DVD player kept telling her copy. I had to go get a few of my Cathe cases and the only difference is the little thing that holds the DVD, I've never seen Cathe use that type. But the label on the front fooled me, I would have sworn it was a Cathe origional. Same as the label on the inside, the only thing is it doesn't go so close to the center hole, and since I don't have that exact DVD I couldn't say if it did or didn't with the real one, but the rest of Cathe's DVDs that I have and she has, all cover a lot more toward the hole then the two she got off ebay. But if you just look at it without comparing it's pretty good forgery, has Cathe kicking her leg out, with her logo above her head everything. But the real dead give away is that the cds back side is purple. Normal CD makers don't use anything other then silver, this is because silver reflects the best, so you get better quality then a copy. Also makes it easier for the police to know if its a copy or the real thing.

Another give away was it wouldn't play in my dvd recorder, my recorder will only play non copied DVDs or it's own copies it won't play anyone elses. And it has never had a problem with a Cathe DVD, as I use it all the time to play hers when I workout. It wouldn't even consider this thing a DVD, it read it for a second and opened it's door and spat it back out.

But it would play in my little player that takes just about anything, DVDs, CDs, copies of DVDs, cds. I also did a check with ebay just to see and this person is selling the same exact cds again *used*.

I've told my client to turn them in, and try to get her money back from the person. But it's going to be a hard case, as the only thing to back her up is the burn color, and the case is a little different.

I've never had a problem with ebay buying or selling (knock on wood) but I will be very careful about buying DVDs and videos if I ever decide to go that route.

What's bad, is I checked this person's record, and others have complained about fraud, but with videos not DVDs but most have dropped their case. But this person still has 99% credit rating. So I'm thinking my client didn't think to look...

Kit

Sounds like an E-scam if you ask me. Making copies of copyrighted materials is a federal crime. Of course I have a feeling that the seller will deny is a copy. That is so wrong. Just goes to show you: buy from Cathe.com or Collagevideo.com and you won't have any regrets even if you pay a little bit more.

That is just terrible. It's a good thing that 3 out of 4 of the ones I have won were still in shrink wrap. Can you say who did it? So, I steer clear of that seller. I PM'd you, if you rather not say here. I can't believe that he/she thinks that they can actually get away with this?!

Dallas

Hi, Kit,

Could you let me know what the ebay id of this seller? I have bought all my Cathe's w/o from ebay. It's not any cheaper than buy it directly from this site. It's just faster. I don't need to wait. So far I have a good experience. But the incident you mentioned made me upset and more scared. I can't beleve there are people dare to forge in such open way...

WantFitx(

The person who bought the copied Dvd's needs to report that fraud to Ebay. If they go into their account summary there is always a place to click to report fraudulent transaction's.

If they paid for thier merchandise with Paypal/credit card they need to report the incident to Paypal. I will not purchase from any Ebay seller unless I can use Paypal. You have little recourse if you pay via check or especially with a money order.

I have been buying on Ebay for well over five years now and I have had some transaction's go bad...but I have always gotten my money back through Ebay complaint system. And it is much easier since the implementation of PayPal.

I got my daughter My So Called Life DVDs at Christmas and they were copies. Overall though, I have found Ebay to be very good with keeping honest sellers. I got an email regarding the suspensionn of a seller who's item I had bid on and there are steps you can take if you've been subjected to fraud. Put her out of business. How do they make copies look authentic?
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what it is you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver

That is just sooo wrong. I sell on ebay and it's these idiots who make it hard for us honest ones. I would report that person to ebay ASAP. It seems to me there's enough evidence to say that it is a pirated DVD. I'm sure the SNM folks can confirm that they don't use the purple backed DVD.

There have been a few people on eBay with Cathe VHS and DVD that I've been suspicious of. For example, I noticed this one woman buying up a lot of Cathe VHS and DVDs. Within a month she's selling the same ones she just bought! I think she was copying the original, keeping the copy for her own use, then selling the original on ebay again. She wasn't selling them for more than she was buying them for either so it didn't appear like she was trying to make money on them.

I hope your client gets her money back. They should throw the book at that seller.

Definitely report it to Ebay. Your friend got bootlegged DVDs in the DVD-r format. No question about it.

FWIW, I refuse to buy from oversea vendors. They are notorious for producing bootlegged DVDs. I'm sure there are some who don't, but I stay away from all auctions where the auctioneer is in Malasia, Singapore, Thailand, etc.

Diane

Could you PM me too. I just got a few VHS from ebay and was looking at the DVD's just today. Now I am wondering if I should bid or not. The one I was looking at didn't hvae any negative feedback so I guess it's safe, but I would like to know who to not bid from. Thanks!

You can also buy Cathe workouts from CollageVideo and some are now available at Amazon.com. And I agree, buying from SNM can be slow at best and that's providing they have the Dvd in stock.x(

Since there are so many and I decided to get my clients permission to post the ebayer that scammed her. The ebayer is 3801

I kind of feel like the middle man, but since I actually saw the dvd first hand and have been taught from my best friend who is an investigator for the LA California police and the standards they go by, I at least know my assumption isn't wrong, about the DVD. As she puts it, home users who make DVD or CD has a color on the back, people who have a company make a dvd or cd and sell it to the public is always silver on the back. This is so the police can easily see if it's a copy or not without thinking about it. The music and film industry did this to cut down on the number of copier just like they did with cassette tapes, you may be able to copy but you can't print the name and the name of the songs without looking home made.

With today’s high tech printers that you can get for under $200 it's really easy to scan the DVD cover, and make a copy and print it on a plain DVD label, and make it just as good as what's on the originals, if you think about it, I bet most here have printers that you can print pictures with and they look like pretty decent pictures, some may even have the ones that you put in photo paper and you really can't tell the difference between your home made pictures and the ones you get at the store, besides price. So don't always count on seeing a fake label. As it takes less then 5 minutes to scan a DVD and put it on another DVD label, so it's relatively easy.

Also the person is denying that it is a copy but they are telling my client to send the two DVDs back and they’ll credit her account. I told her to take pictures just in case as well as save all her email she gets from them. Hopefully this was just one bad experience, as I do know ebay does crack down on bad sellers, it’s just bad when you run into one. But hopefully the pictures will help and she can get this person shut down. But this goes to show even if they got a 99% rating with a lot of sells, to dig threw and see what the other people were complaining about. Especially if it’s happens within the last 6 months. As sometimes there are mis-understandings, other times it’s more then that so always use your gut feeling.

Kit

Oh my goodness. I bid on one of their auctions. I was the high bidder, but the reserve was never met.. I had bid $14..lol Well I emialed and asked what the reserver was and they responed $28 so I didn't get it. Glad I didn't know. Gosh you never know about people. x(

> So So against the Law .I would so e-mail Cathe and tell her
>If it were Me !!!:-( :-( :-(

Good idea! If the complaint came from the manufacturer, maybe something more would be done (the FBI supposedly deals with these things, don't they? At least that's what the warning at the beginning of each video/DVD says).

>Also the person is denying that it is a copy but they are
>telling my client to send the two DVDs back and they’ll credit
>her account. I told her to take pictures just in case as well
>as save all her email she gets from them.

Well, by getting the DVd's back, the seller is taking the evidence away from your friend. Maybe if your friend contacts Cathe, she will exchange the fake DVd's (as evidence) against her real DVD's (in exchange for getting the evidence to stop this person). Just a thought (and you can tell your friend she can tell Cathe this idea comes from me...I don't know if that will give it any weight, but it will show her that it's not just your friend trying to get something for nothing).

I noticed this one
>woman buying up a lot of Cathe VHS and DVDs. Within a month
>she's selling the same ones she just bought! I think she was
>copying the original, keeping the copy for her own use, then
>selling the original on ebay again.

Yeah, and THAT kind of illegal and unethical behaviour isn't caught because they are selling the originals. Shame on them!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.