EB and unwanted advertising - vent

To get away from this thread. :p

Now that we have that solved, could someone answer the question of who came first - the chicken or the egg???

chickenandegg.jpg

I contribute no money to the forums.
I can assure you that no chickens were directly or indirectly harmed by my visit to the forums.

Well, thanks.

I don't contribute any money to the forum, and I therefore am not contributing to, or benefiting from, animal suffering.

I suppose ultimately it could be argued that if I benefit in some way from being on the forum, and the forum is paid for with Cathe's egg money, then I am benefiting from something un-vegan? It's a bit of a stretch, but I can see why that might be confusing...sort of.

I considered not visiting the forum anymore. I changed my mind when I saw the other thread about vegans and the EB decision. It seemed like many people were interested in a discussion about Eggland's Best and topics relating to animal rights/welfare. I thought that perhaps rather than abandon the arena of open discussion to the omnivores, a vegan perspective might occasionally be welcome here.

Here's the basic definition from the vegan society:

I don't think participating in open discussion in which I express my disappointment over her partnership violates that philosophy.

In fact, I don't think shying away from discussion benefits ANY cause, and that's another reason why I've stuck around.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone really think visiting these forums promotes, or causes people to otherwise participate in, animal suffering? I don't, but perhaps there is something I have missed?

My post wasn’t meant to be a post about vegans or their philosophy. You made a point to state that you were taking a stand [and putting your money where your mouth is]. I understood that your reason for doing this was because of Cathe’s partnership with EB. I didn’t see the connection between the sales of STS Cardio and EB’s profits. That led me to believe that you were boycotting Cathe because she partnered up with EB. Since the forums are paid for by Cathe’s company than yes you are benefiting from Cathe’s business which is now associated with EB who by your accounts violates your standard of animal rights. Based on your beliefs, I can understand why you wouldn’t do business with EB and I certainly don’t judge you in any way for your diet or your concern for animal rights. I just didn’t understand the reasoning for your stand on canceling STS Cardio. Also, I don’t think visiting the forums has anything to do with animal suffering anymore than going to visit Cathe on tour or buying STS Cardio. However, if you are upset with Cathe for her partnership with EB to the point of cancelling a set of workout DVDs than why not make a commitment with a full blown boycott.

I’m not trying to put you on the spot, I don’t expect you to explain your position any further, and I don’t have a problem with open discussion. In fact, I learn a lot by listening to all sides of a position. However, if you believe in your stand and voice it loudly than why get your tail feathers ruffled when someone asks you a question or has an opinion about your point of view. Okay, that last part wasn’t eggsactly worded well :eek:, but it seemed to go nicely with the chicken and the egg theme :D. Seriously, I don’t have a problem with the passion that you have about your position. I may disagree with your reaction, but I think you have every right to do what is best for you.

jordan

So I'm not interested in the EB product, but if Cathe wants to endorse it I don't really care, just don't inundate me with advertising.

I've added the italics and bold because after thinking about it some more, this poster took the words right out of my mouth!

My post wasn’t meant to be a post about vegans or their philosophy. You made a point to state that you were taking a stand [and putting your money where your mouth is]. I understood that your reason for doing this was because of Cathe’s partnership with EB. I didn’t see the connection between the sales of STS Cardio and EB’s profits. That led me to believe that you were boycotting Cathe because she partnered up with EB. Since the forums are paid for by Cathe’s company than yes you are benefiting from Cathe’s business which is now associated with EB who by your accounts violates your standard of animal rights. Based on your beliefs, I can understand why you wouldn’t do business with EB and I certainly don’t judge you in any way for your diet or your concern for animal rights. I just didn’t understand the reasoning for your stand on canceling STS Cardio. Also, I don’t think visiting the forums has anything to do with animal suffering anymore than going to visit Cathe on tour or buying STS Cardio. However, if you are upset with Cathe for her partnership with EB to the point of cancelling a set of workout DVDs than why not make a commitment with a full blown boycott.

I’m not trying to put you on the spot, I don’t expect you to explain your position any further, and I don’t have a problem with open discussion. In fact, I learn a lot by listening to all sides of a position. However, if you believe in your stand and voice it loudly than why get your tail feathers ruffled when someone asks you a question or has an opinion about your point of view. Okay, that last part wasn’t eggsactly worded well :eek:, but it seemed to go nicely with the chicken and the egg theme :D. Seriously, I don’t have a problem with the passion that you have about your position. I may disagree with your reaction, but I think you have every right to do what is best for you.

jordan

There's another thread in which many, many people explained why buying Cathe's products while she actively promotes eggs is problematic - do a search for "fellow vegans" and you'll find it. That should explain the connection adequately.

I get that you think I'm not being thorough enough. I am not offended or upset by your question or your disagreement with my position. I, too enjoy encountering differing views.

As I understand it, though, your view is that I am a hypocrite for not espousing your idea of a full boycott.

Since when do people boycott and not tell anyone about it? I just don't see how my participation in this forum contributes to or condones animal cruelty (other than torturing Carola). Sorry Carola!

Last edited:
Everything was getting so lighthearted and funny and all "the thread is going to die...any second...here it goes!!" What happened?

Die, thread! Die!

You know, threads like these drive me NUTS!! This "I'm right, she's wrong" attitude totally disgusts me. And is the precise reason why I can't stand to read the open discussion anymore.

I LOVE Cathe's workouts; they have brought me to levels of fitness beyond what I ever thought I was capable of. I will continue to support her. But I'm not posting here again.

Good-bye.

I don't want to be inundated with EB advertising on DVDs, either in the workouts themselves or on the packaging.
I agree.
Please, no Eggland's best mentions or ads or anything on the DVD's.

It's easy for those of us who love Cathe's workouts, but want nothing to do with Egglands, to avoid the EB-sponsored road trip activities, but if the sponsorship starts bleeding into the workouts themselves, I'd find that overly intrusive and objectionable.

wow I had been working alot and not on the forums and had totally missed this thread. Well I have to say that just as I gave up eating eggs (and other animal products) I would absolutely stay far, far away from the tour being sponsered by EB. I don't undestand why some posters would think that vegans...people that put there money where their mouth is everyday would go to the tour just to see Cathe.

I love Cathe's tapes....I will not buy anything though that has a picture of her holding an egg...any egg no matter how fresh I feel is wrong to eat...

Eveyone has their opions. I am Vegan. I don't eat eggs. SNM trying to tell me that EB is good because of the freshness and Omega 3 content is insulting. no eggs that are mass produced are good for the CHICKENS...PERIOD END OF STORY!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.