Eating "Super Clean"

MelanieC

Cathlete
Is anyone out there able to maintain a super clean diet? Does anyone out there enjoy a super clean diet?

I have tried to maintain a super clean diet, but honestly I find it tough to maintain for more than 3 months. Something within me snaps, and I find myself going for the goodies for a few days.

In general I try to choose healthy foods, and if I want something sweet, I will bake/make something that is low in fat and usually includes fruit. But every once in a while I just can't continue following a strict super clean diet. I find it even more difficult when it gets colder and the sun sets earlier in the day. Sometimes when I find myself craving junk food, I'll drop and do some push-ups or I'll remind myself of the hard work I put into my workouts, and that seems to help staving off those cravings.

If you have had success in following a long-term super clean diet, please let me know what has helped you and/or how long it took you to get to that point.

Thanks!

Eating Super Clean

Hi Melanie--

I was able to do about 6 months of a super clean diet last year from May-November. I lost 15 pounds (and didn't think I had any weight to lose), and actually felt great and enjoyed the clean eating. But, I caved ONE time during the holidays and then found myself always wanting sweets again! Today, all my meals/snacks are clean, but I still feel the need for something sweet each day, and not sweet like fruit, like a cookie, or a piece of candy. I can tell you that my body is sooo used to eating clean, that I physically get sick to my stomach if I eat something processed. For me, I avoid that now, so I don't have to deal with that. I kinda wish my stomach would do the same if I eat sweets,but it doesn't!

Good Luck, it's not easy to start, but if you can keep it up for a few weeks, it gets easier. The key is to find other options for what you're craving, besides that processed food. I'm still working on that!

Erika

I think I only eat 'super clean'.

My diet... every day... consists of:

Breakfast: Oats, fat free greek yoghurt and nuts
Snack: Apple and almond butter
Lunch: Peppers, broccoli and either steamed white fish or steamed chicken
Snack: Peppers, yoghurt and peanut butter
POst workout protein shake
Meal: Spinach, blueberries, tomatoes, peppers and either tuna, eggs or chicken (tinned tuna, boiled eggs or steamed chicken)
Snack: Porridge made with water and a bit of peanut butter

I only drink water, and I have one tea a day; it's my treat. (and the highlight of my day!)

I don't know whether that counts as 'super clean'... but I like it. I LOVE all the food I eat :)

It is possible... if you don't mind eating the same everyday, it's actually quite easy. I NEVER crave cakes, sweets, chocolate, anythinng like that. I occasionally crave another cup of tea... and quite often say 'why not?' but other than that, I enjoy the food I eat so much, I don't think I'm missing out.

Good luck :)

i have no advice about super clean eating. my expectations aren't that high. when i can avoid eating junk, and teach my kids to love healthy food, i'm doing well. I don't think anyone has to eat completely clean. we can all find our own balance of moderation. Sometimes it's easier to just not have any though.

zozo, so good to see you back for a minute! i'm sure you've been super busy at university. :)

Hello :)
It's lovely to be one here! It's the first time in over a month!

I am really busy at university... but fortunately, the terms aren't too long, so I should be home for the holidays soon, and then I can be back lurking on here all the time :)

I hope to lurk around a bit more though, I've missed my Cathlete friends :(

I also cannot offer any advice on super clean eating. I believe that you can eat what you want but of course in moderation. I don't deprive myself because I'll want it even more. There are foods that I stay away from competely because I know they are super fattening. I crave sweets too but 1 bite of something and I'm done for that sitting. For example, it could take me a week to eat one piece of cheesecake and I love cheesecake but I control myslef.

I get my veggies and fruit in each day in one form or another but I do eveything in moderation. I try to eat 3 meals a day but sometimes that doesn't happy and sometimes on the weekend I may eat once a day, so those are things I'm working on.

Sorry I couldn't help more but I don't follow a super clean diet

You know, I'm still not 100% sure of what clean eating is. Does eating clean also mean cutting out fatty meats? I don't eat processed foods, well except Purevia and whey powder, won't get rid of either. For about 4 months now I eat fruits, veggies, nuts (limit peanuts), fats, meats and limited high fat dairy like cream in my coffee and cheese on occasion and butter. But if it falls in the meat category, I eat it, lean, fatty and everything in between. I lost 7 pounds in the first 3 months, and have stalled again, but I'm aware I eat too many calories on too many days for faster weight loss. I really enjoy eating this way, and because I eat such tasty dinners most days during the week, I just don't find myself craving bread, pasta, grains or sweets. I thought by now I would have broken, but I asked myself to give it 6 months and re-evaluate then, so that's what I am doing.

I will say though, I had a bite of rye toast with butter, and that was probably better than any dessert. I have been able to have 1 or 2 bites of a dessert and move on without it ending up in a binge, but I didn't allow myself to even do that until I felt entirely in control, and that happened at about the end of the third month. I think allowing myself those bites with no guilt makes things a lot easier, if I don't allow it, then I start the "how can I never eat "x" again?" thoughts, and it can go bad from there. The philosophy I'm following is called "Primal eating", from marksdailyapple.com, he said shoot for 100% and if you are at 80% you are doing well. I think I am at about 90%.

I think my only advice here to help, sorry, that was a long post, is allow the "indulgences" but in moderation, and shoot for an 80/20, 90/10 kind of adherence instead of the the all or nothing mentality, which doesn't work for most people anyway. One other thing to try, is instead of a really bad for you dessert, try eating a couple squares of very dark chocolate, that generally gets rid of my cravings, but something about it doesn't send me into a tailspin and it's much lower in sugar than traditional sweets.

Overall, for me anything that feels too hard to stick with, isn't going to stick.

Last edited:
I have a very hard time sticking to a clean diet. I am hoping that someone will have some ideas that may help with my problem!

I know WHAT I should be eating and I can go for periods eating the way I would like to eat, which is basically vegetarian with no processed food. However, my husband and children do not want to eat this way, and I don't feel that I have any right to force anyone to eat a certain way. We do eat lots of veggies and home cooked meals, but chips and frozen pizza and treats are present in our house and I find that I cannot resist them! I also have a very hard time as the weather gets colder - all I want is warm comfort food with an abundance of starchy carbs! Then there is the evening snacking - yikes!

Does anyone have a family with very different eating habits? How do you avoid the foods that your spouse/children eat that is not part of your plan? Any tips for avoiding munching at the end of the day in front of the TV?

Thanks everyone - if I can get my eating on track I know I will reach my goals for a leaner body.

Corrie

I don't know how much help I will be either because I am with Dela in that everyone has a different idea of what "clean eating" is.

To me, clean eating is just eating as natural as possible. I try to eat as many foods that are as close to whole form as possible. I do not eat anything artificial--preservatives, sweeteners, colors, flavors, etc. If it can't be found in nature, I don't want it in my body.

So I mainly eat, nuts, fruits, veggies, and cheese. I do have a whey protein shake after heavy weight lifting but I only buy all natural protein powder (no artificial flavor or sweetener).

If I buy a packaged item, I scour the ingredient list for anything chemical. If the list is too long, I don't even bother reading through it. Most packaged items I buy are from Kashi, Annie's Homegrown, or Amy's Kitchen. I don't like to buy too many packaged products but it is nice to have some things on hand for quick bites when I am too busy to sit down and make a meal.

I also only eat fish and seafood as meat products. This is more of an ethical issue for me not what I think most people consider "clean".

This works for me because I really feel so much better since I have stopped eating heavily processed foods with shady ingredients. I have been doing this since January and do not feel deprived at all because nature has some of the best foods and flavors already that there is no need for me to supplement it with man-made products.

I am also with Dela in that you can shoot for 100% but know that being 80/20 is just as good. I don't sway from eating only natural ingredients but I don't beat myself up if I indulge in too many homemade, all-natural sweets from time to time (such as a holiday). I just try to make it a habit to not let over indulging become a habit.

That is my philosophy but it may not work for everyone.

I have a very hard time sticking to a clean diet. I am hoping that someone will have some ideas that may help with my problem!

I know WHAT I should be eating and I can go for periods eating the way I would like to eat, which is basically vegetarian with no processed food. However, my husband and children do not want to eat this way, and I don't feel that I have any right to force anyone to eat a certain way. We do eat lots of veggies and home cooked meals, but chips and frozen pizza and treats are present in our house and I find that I cannot resist them! I also have a very hard time as the weather gets colder - all I want is warm comfort food with an abundance of starchy carbs! Then there is the evening snacking - yikes!

Does anyone have a family with very different eating habits? How do you avoid the foods that your spouse/children eat that is not part of your plan? Any tips for avoiding munching at the end of the day in front of the TV?

Thanks everyone - if I can get my eating on track I know I will reach my goals for a leaner body.

Corrie

I am married with no children but my husband is the extreme opposite of me. I am in the all natural camp and only eat fish and seafood as meat products. He is in the "the more chemicals and heavily processed it is, the better it will taste" camp.

I don't know that I have any suggestions for you because honestly I don't find myself craving any of his food. I look at the ingredients and realize that when I can't recognize 80% of the words in the list, I really don't want it in my body. There are so many all natural alternatives for the same heavily processed products that I can keep a better alternative in the house for what my DH eats. So when he is snacking on chips, I am happily eating almonds and fruit.

This may also sound mean but it works for me and DH. I refuse to make 2 meals a night--his and mine. I told him if he wants what I am having, I will make him some; if not, he has to cook for himself. Occasionally he does want what I am making but usually he makes his frozen pizza or microwave meals himself.

That probably didn't help since I don't have kids and don't find myself reaching for my DH's food but I thought I would throw it out there anyway.

Good luck!

Does anyone have a family with very different eating habits? How do you avoid the foods that your spouse/children eat that is not part of your plan? Any tips for avoiding munching at the end of the day in front of the TV?Corrie

My family is composed of EXTREMELY picky eaters. There's the cheese eater - my oldest son, who for two years only ate mac & cheese and chicken nuggets for dinner. I know SOOOOO bad. I make the mac & cheese from scratch, so it's OK, and in recent years, he has given up almost all meat. He just doesn't like it.

Then there's the peanut butter kid. My middle child eats a pb & j for dinner almost every night. He's extremely picky, but DH was the SAME way.

Then my youngest (age 2) is picky some days and on others he eats everything. He loves broccoli, go figure.

DH eats few veggies but loves pasta.

I'm mostly vegetarian (Very occasionally eat fish). I try to eat clean, but I do nibble on the kids' dry cereal from time to time (which usually is organic, but still has some sugar in it).

All of that to say, I keep myself from eating what they are eating by fixing dinner for all of them, sitting them down to their meal(s). Then I go work out while they eat. I do miss the family dinner time. And maybe it's the wrong approach. But it allows me my hour to do my thing without them missing me much. I need that time to myself. Then after I tuck them in at about 8:30, I settle down to a BIG salad. I do have to have a little something sweet at the end of the day, so I usually grab a few semi-sweet chocolate chips and some almonds.

I don't eat 100 percent clean. I often eat a protein bar for lunch just because there's no time to prep anything else, but I agree that moderation is the key.

How boring would it be to eat 100 percent clean all the time? I love my wine on the weekends. And I usually fix a big meal once a week that is a splurge, like pasta with foccacia bread or homemade pizza. And I also love to bake this time of year. :)

How boring would it be to eat 100 percent clean all the time? I love my wine on the weekends. And I usually fix a big meal once a week that is a splurge, like pasta with foccacia bread or homemade pizza. And I also love to bake this time of year. :)[/QUOTE]

I agree with you - for me it would be boring to eat 100% clean all the time. I really enjoy having people over every once in a while and making some special, that is not super low fat. I can see that everyone has different approaches to their diets, and I feel that for me I can't be super strict with myself all the time because then I just snap. Its all about being balanced.

I am not super clean either but I do my best to eat healthy. I am quite good about during the week so long as we haven't lagged on the food shopping. I take lunch into work from home every day. I have a couple of small sweet tooth satisfiers that I eat every day- bag of 100 cal lorna doone cookies after lunch and 1 square of dark chocolate after dinner. I also indulge in a single glass of red wine on most week nights because I enjoy it. Lately my meals during the week usually resemble this:

Morning post work out snack at home: banana

Breakfast once I get to work: 100 cal bagel thin w/pb

Lunch: Big salad with veggies, l/f cheese, olives, almonds in it; either turkey, chicken, fish or tuna on a sandwich w/one slice of cheese(love 100 cal deli flats!) or if I am not having it on a sandwich then I eat a baked sweet potatoe with it + my lorna doones.

Afternoon Snack: Cottage cheese or greek yogurt with fruit and honey.

Dinner: Protein such as chicken sausage, chicken or fish; veggie cooked in a bit of olive oil or a side salad and a baked sweet potato if I want it. If not, sometimes no starchy carb and just fill up on more veggies + my dark chocolate square for dessert and a glass of red wine either before, during or after dinner.

Not perfect but healthy and keeps me satisfied. Weekends are when I will tend to splurge with a meal eaten out, a couple of hard liquor drinks or 2 glasses of wine, etc but I do try to stay on track as much as possible if I am home and able to make my meals.

This style of eating will never get me into "competition shape" nor will it win me awards for being the cleanest eater but I don't want that. I just want to be fit and healthy. :)

Last edited:
I think that if you "go for goodies" for a few days, big deal. I think you actually SHOULD do that. I'm super clean for 98% of the time, but found myself diving into a bag of cheddar cheese pretzel nuggets the other night. Did I feel guilty? Nope. It doesn't hurt if you don't do it all the time. I think it's good for your soul.

Hey Julie,
Are we married to the same man? Gosh, that sounds just like my DH. And my son. I end up making three different meals on most nights. My son, who is 5, said he will eat vegetables when he's a grown up. When I asked him when that will be, he said when he's 40!
Jody

My diet is absolutely clean. I don't eat sugar or iodized table salt either. (sugar in any form; just stevia)
You would find that after a while that processed food really doesn't taste as good as real, whole, clean foods.

Good post !! I don't think I could follow a 100 percent clean diet for more than a few weeks, only becuase it's just not realistic for me.
Basically, I stay completely away from all fast food, no junk food, no pop, etc. What I do eat, is usually organic, and I get my protein from beef, eggs, peanut butter and fish. For veggies; I'm all for carrots, edemame, and snow peas and always have 1-2 fruits a day.
I'm all about the Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno, BUT, I will NEVER give up my wine, I will NEVER give up my treats, and will never give up my once a week pasta, and /or bread cheat day. I've been the same size and weight ( give or take a few pounds ) for the last 10 years. I've been able to find a good balance though, and always make sure I don't let the scale get up more than 3-4 lbs. If it does,, then I get back to the 100 percent clean eating and work at not indulging too much. I think that's the key,,,balance. I honestly think it's the work outs too though. If I didn't work out at all ,,,,, I think it would be a whole differant story. ;)

Morgs

I have tried eating entirely clean, but it seemed like I was forever cooking and doing dishes. It would seem that eating clean would require less cooking. I mean if you are eating natural foods in their most natural state where's the work? But yet it seemed there were always vegetables to chop and steam, oatmeal and quinoa to soak and cook, chicken to get marninating and bake, sweet potatoes to scrub, tofu smoothies to blend. And every time you do one of these, bang!- dishes--knives, cutting boards, pots, pans, storage containers. And I don't have a dishwasher. I tried doing it in bulk, but it still didn't seem to alleviate the constancy. Maybe it would be easier if I wasn't cooking daily for the kids in addition. (Husband will go along with whatever, but I don't want to serve him the same lime chicken for 3 days in a row!) Or, as I reread what I have written, maybe what was also needed was to eat more raw foods. But I am not really into that.

So for me, the difficulty with clean eating isn't in the food or dprivation itself--indeed I did feel better with clean eating--, but rather in its preparation. Even without clean eating I am still tired of cooking and dishes. Sometimes it just seems easier to put some pb on a piece of bread on a paper plate, or to just eat a pancake that I've made for the kids out of my hand with a glass of milk. (Yes, I do use a glass!)

Sigh.

I have tried eating entirely clean, but it seemed like I was forever cooking and doing dishes. It would seem that eating clean would require less cooking. I mean if you are eating natural foods in their most natural state where's the work? But yet it seemed there were always vegetables to chop and steam, oatmeal and quinoa to soak and cook, chicken to get marninating and bake, sweet potatoes to scrub, tofu smoothies to blend. And every time you do one of these, bang!- dishes--knives, cutting boards, pots, pans, storage containers. And I don't have a dishwasher. I tried doing it in bulk, but it still didn't seem to alleviate the constancy. Maybe it would be easier if I wasn't cooking daily for the kids in addition. (Husband will go along with whatever, but I don't want to serve him the same lime chicken for 3 days in a row!) Or, as I reread what I have written, maybe what was also needed was to eat more raw foods. But I am not really into that.

So for me, the difficulty with clean eating isn't in the food or dprivation itself--indeed I did feel better with clean eating--, but rather in its preparation. Even without clean eating I am still tired of cooking and dishes. Sometimes it just seems easier to put some pb on a piece of bread on a paper plate, or to just eat a pancake that I've made for the kids out of my hand with a glass of milk. (Yes, I do use a glass!)

Sigh.

I am not a fan of cooking so I totally get what you are saying! When I cook I want to get it over with. If I can't have it on the table in an hour at the very most then I want nothing to do with it. NOTHING! I also am not into fancy prep work, etc either. BLAH! :p

Corrie
Yes Corrie, I have that family. DH could live off of prime rib, McDonalds, and pizza and candy. And my step daughter will eat her fruit but won't touch a veggie. She is rice, frozen pizza and ice cream on a daily basis. Tall, thin and muscular like her daddy. Plus pretty active.

I feel the same as you if I could get my eating on track I would reach my goals of a 50 pound lighter, leaner body. I buy healthy foods with the best of intentions but end up wasting more of it then eating it.

Sigh.

I am not a fan of cooking so I totally get what you are saying! When I cook I want to get it over with. If I can't have it on the table in an hour at the very most then I want nothing to do with it. NOTHING! I also am not into fancy prep work, etc either. BLAH! :p

I am so with you ladies. After a day of work and an hour commute that last thing I want to do is come home and prep dinner, cook it and then clean up afterwards. The less clean up the better. Maybe that's why I'm a sucker for takeout. :(

Jenn

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.