Eat to Live--salad dressing recs?

Monica11

Cathlete
I have finally decided to take the plunge and try the Eat to Live program after reading so much praise for it on this forum. I love the foods he encourages people to eat--beans, fruits, veggies--so I think this plan is well suited to me. (Plus I still have baby weight to lose.) But I have a hard time eating salad without dressing and I don't know of any tasty fat free or very low fat dressings. I normally eat full fat dressing but with the size of these salads, that would pack on the fat and calories fast.

I remember seeing some discussion of this but I can't find the old thread. Can anyone recommend a good salad dressing either to make myself or to buy?

TIA!
Monica

Monica...great plunge to try!! I am a hudg fan of Italian dressing and in the book he recommends Spectrum brand. I got the Zesty Italian and loved it, but they have many others. Most Health Food stores or regular grocery stores carry the Spectrum brand. I do know someone will give you a good recipe for making one, but as I cook so much I would rather buy my dressing...:)...

At my health food store, they have zero calorie salad dressing and it ROCKS!!!! I got the balsalmic vinegarette and the honey mustard. The serving size is two tablespoons and it's less than half a calorie per serving. I don't know how they did it but it's awesome. It's made by a company called Walden Farms.

Kristy

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

I make up my own, usually just a mixture of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. I know it's not low in calories, but at least it's healthy! ;) I use to just use a bit of olive oil--it's amazing how the taste buds get used to new things with time. (When I stopped making my own and would use Thousand Island or French or whatever, then when I tried just the olive oil, I thought "Ewwww! This is way too bland!" but I used to love it! So you will get used to what you start using I think)

There is also Paula's No-Oil Dressings....you can usually find them at Whole Foods or health food stores.

HTH,
Robin:)

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I am enjoying this way of eating, but I have had to commit not to overcommit. In the past, I have become too rigid and then I snap and overeat. My goal is to eat like this as a default--almost all of the time but not 100% of the time (unless I want to--no point in eating junk unless I'll really enjoy it). Once I start to feel like a way of eating is a sentence imposed on me, then I have to lighten up because that's the only way I'll stick with it in the long run.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.