Early Risers??

dr.mel_PT

Cathlete
I need some motivation!!! Who gets up super early to workout? I am starting school tomorrow and I have class REALLY freakin early on Tuesdays/Thursdays! I go pretty much all day so I know fitting a workout in at 10PM will not be an option. For you early risers, what time do you wake up to WO?

One of these days I might workout at the gym on campus during breaks but honestly, doing a cardio machine and lifting on my own doesn't "do it" for me the way a good ol' Cathe workout does ;)

I'm up at 5:30 to workout....But, granted, that's only because I'm in bed by 10:00. If I were up past that, it just wouldn't happen. It took some time to get used to...but now it's great to have it out of the way first thing in the morning.

I get up between 3 and 3:30 depending on whether it is snowing (causing my drive to be slower) and how long my scheduled workout is.

My suggestions would be:

• Work your way up to getting up earlier. I did not start out waking up at 3 or 3:30 from my normal rise time of 5. I started out at 4:30, then 4, finally 3 over several weeks. That will mean doing shorter workouts for awhile.
  • Get up at the same time every day (or at least most days). I get up within 30 minutes of the same time everyday except Saturday and Sunday. Your body gets used to doing things on a schedule so if you wake up at 7 on MWF but try to wake up at 5 on TTH, your body is going to revolt and not do what you want it to.
  • Be patient with this change. You are going to be crabby and tired for a few weeks but your body will adjust.
  • Get as much ready the night before. Every night before I go to bed, I make sure my workout clothes and equipment are out and ready for me in the morning. I also get my regular clothes and food together too. This cuts down on my time to get things ready in the morning. I am literally working out within 20-30 minutes of waking up and out the door within 20-40 minutes of finishing my workout.
  • Cut as much out as possible from your post-workout/pre-day routine. Some people may not like doing this but I don't wash my hair every day. This means there are several days I have an extra 10-15 minutes most days of the week. I still shower (just to clarify); I just don't wash my hair. I do use dry shampoo so that it doesn't get greasy/stinky but it still significantly cuts down on my time to get out the door.

It's been awhile since I was in school and had to deal with my schedule changing every couple of months but I still remember those days. I am lucky now to have a constant schedule so the items I mentioned may be easier for me to do. Also, since I get up so early, I am in bed at Retirement Home lights-out time, 7pm. Luckily my husband works the early shift and goes to bed at the same time as me and wakes up an hour before me so that helps too!

Good luck!

I also wake up at 5:30 to work out.

I read the book Secrets of a Former Fat Girl and she had this mantra (which I stole) which is It's Not an Option and whenever the alarm goes off and I want to snooze later instead of working out I just tell myself It's Not an Option to lie back down, now get up and kick some patootie...and I do. :)

Other options:

Is there any way you could fit in several shorter bouts of exercise on Tuesdays and Thursdays? And/or include more activity throughout the day (like using the stairs instead of the elevator to get to your class on the 4th floor?).

I am so NOT an early morning person (though 5ks have gotten me out of bed at 6:00, that's about as early as I'll go, and not on a regular basis!), so I'd probably factor in those two days as my rest days.

I'm up at 5:15 from Monday - Friday to workout. I don't workout on Saturday so I take advantage and sleep in a little.

It can be done. You just need to force yourself to go to bed earlier. Otherwise you'll keel over after a few days.

I usually get up 4:30 - 5 AM during the work week. I have 1 - 2 long days per week where I work until 11PM (and go in early). My rest day is one of those days. I work out really hard on the weekend usually.
And I do keel over by 9-10PM ;)

I get up at 4:30-4:45. I agree with an above poster, have as much done the night before. When I get up I get ready, pick up a glass of water and head to workout... no other stops. No other stops has been the biggest and best change for me, it was always too easy to get side tracked. Good luck, you will be in the routine before you know it. The best feeling is when you cross it off your to do list by 6:15 am!

I'm up by 5:00 am. I am usuallly in bed and sleeping by 10/10:30 pm. Some morning are harder to get up but I give myself a little pep talk and up I go!:eek: It feels great to have my workout done by 6/6:30 am :D

I try to be organized so I don't have to take extra time in the moring making lunch, etc. I also sleep in my workout clothes so all I have to do when my alarm goes off at 4:20 is grab a glass of water and lace on my shoes. Morning workouts are an aquired taste, but once I got used to it, I hate to start my day without it!

I'm an early riser like Julie. I'm up and down in my basement no later then 3:30am. I'm in bed no later then 9pm. I try for 8pm when I can but that doesn't happen all the time. I used to work out after work which was around 5 - 5:30 pm. Then I decided a few years ago to try working out in the AM to free up my nights. I'm so glad I made the change. I agree with everyone when they say it's nice to check it off the list and know that you have your workout in for the day. It does take a little getting used to but it's well worth it in my opionion. There are days that it is tough but I just tell myself to get my butt down there and get going. Once I get down there and get started, I'm fine.

Good Luck!! You can do anything you set your mind to. :)

Most days it's between 4-4:30 for me. Kinda depends on whether or not the baby wakes up to eat around then.
It takes some getting used to. But the feeling of being "done" with that for the day is actually a relief to me. If I don't get it out of the way first thing, all I do is stress out about it until I do get it done.

I am also up around 5/5:30 and in bed around 10:30. The beauty of working out at home is I can do it in my pajamas.:D But I will say this brutally cold winter makes it hard to get in the basement. My basement is not finished so it is cold. I have to layer up.

I would probably change those days to my rest days if possible or at least one of them and on the other day do a shorter workout. One of Cathe HIIT workouts or Kelly Coffey Meyer has some great 30 minute workouts.

It is great getting your workout of the way. Good Luck.

Jenn

I'm up around 5 am and, while some days are not easy, it is nice to have my training over and done with and it is an awesome start to the day. My day always starts with my 'moving meditation' which is taking my dog for a walk. It's when I plan my day and basically just enjoy watching the sun rise and the smell of dew on the Eucalypt. Like other posters, I have my clothes ready the night before to make it a bit easier. I try to get to bed by about 10 pm.

Four Am hence the name for me. I think it will be a big adjustment for you if you have not been a morning exerciser.
I have noticed that alot of people have said they jump up and go right to workout. I on the other hand can not do that. I have to eat something. So normally I get up and eat a small amount of granola. ( home made so not alot of sugar) then I let it settle before I workout. My alarm is set for 3:54 and normally I get up then. I am usually working out be around 4:30. I have to have fuel though or there is no way I would make it through some of those long Cathe workouts.

You never know you might actually start to like it. Like everyone else has said...it is very addicting to get your workout over before 6 in the morning!

Give yourself some time to get used to it and do expect to be a little tired but that will pass.

I really want to start working out in the mornings as well, but I'm so tired. Is it safe to go from the bed to the cardio and weights? That's what scares me. I guess, I feel for me, I would need to get up and give myself at least 20, 30 mins to get awake before hitting a good burn, I'm afraid I might cause myself to have a heart attack.

I am up at 5 or 5:30am, but by no means am I ready to go!!! I need a good dose of caffeine and time to get my thoughts together. Then I start working out around 6. I like to get up before everyone else, and have my time. No interuptions, crisises, etc. Feels great to have a workout done before starting my day!!! I just don't have the energy at the end of the day. This has been a slow progression over time, though. Before I became a mom, I was a true night person. Wow, how things have changed! I am truly useless at night, now! On the rare occasion that I go out with friends at night, I am always the first to call it a night. No more party girl here!!!;)

I'm up and out of bed no later than 2am and working out between 3-3:15am, I go into my room to try and sleep by 8:30pm but end up staying up with my 5 month old who makes it hard for mommy to fall sleep. It's funny because when I first got married no kids my waking time was 4:30-5:30am as I started having kids that change, now up to 6 kids and waking up at 2am sometimes earlier. I just wan't to make sure I get my workout in, or else it won't happen.

I wake up about 4:15...hang out and drink my coffee and "wake up" until 5 and then work out from 5 to 6. I go to bed no later then 9:30. It takes some adjustment but ya gotta do what ya gotta do and it DOES get easier. :)

I just wanted to reply that I was looking for some inspiration, and hearing about what you all are doing to work out in the morning, in various ways and schedules, is REALLY inspiring. No more excuses for me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.