DVD Quality

syrsteel

I recieved my Lower Body Blast DVD & I love the workout, however the video quality looks like I am watching a movie instead of a workout video. I have changed the settings on my DVD player & my TV with the same results. I took it to my sister's house to try on her TV and it was the same there. Does anyone know if they changed the way the DVD's were made? Is anyone else noticing a change?

Thanks!

There have been numerous issues with the video quality of the new dvds. Mine are grainy, and kind of pixelated for lack of a better word. I have done everything suggested to make sure all the settings on the dvd/tv are right, have tried it on multiple dvd/tv combos...all with the same results. These dvds were filmed in HD and dumbed down to a standard dvd format(if I understand it correctly), and I can't help but wonder if that's where the problem lies. I know it's not just my setup, because other people with other equipment than mine have had problems as well. All the new dvds I received are that way. Good luck.

Thanks!! It's nice to know it's not me. Has anyone bought the downloads? I'm wondering if they are the same way?

Thank you!!

I recieved my Lower Body Blast DVD & I love the workout, however the video quality looks like I am watching a movie instead of a workout video. I have changed the settings on my DVD player & my TV with the same results. I took it to my sister's house to try on her TV and it was the same there. Does anyone know if they changed the way the DVD's were made? Is anyone else noticing a change?

Thanks!

Our new DVDs are filmed in the widescreen format of 16:9. Nearly all DVDs being produced nowadays are filmed in the 16:9 aspect ratio as TV's are no longer being made at all in the 4:3 ratio.

I too have had problems...I changed the ratio and nothing changed, I made sure my tv was accepting the 16:9 ratio and still nothing changed, then snm tried to say that if we watch the older dvd's in 16:9 ratio, everyone would look squashed, but they don't. The older dvd's (including STS) look wonderful and we didn't have to try and change anything on our tv's or dvd players...we could just pop in the dvd and be on our way. They claim that they didn't change the way the dvd's are produced, but I think they did.

If the new DVDs are playing on your TV in a 4:3 aspect ratio it means either your TV or your DVD player (or both) are still set to 4:3. Aspect ratio is controlled by your player and TV settings, not the DVD.

Older DVDs were filmed in 4:3 which means if you played them on a 4:3 TV and your DVD player was set to 4:3 nothing needs to be adjusted. On a 16:9 TV (this includes every TV made nowadays) if you put in a 16:9 DVD settings also don't have to be touched. many players will also auto detect aspect ratio, but depending on your player and settings this will not always work. In the past there was only one aspect ratio (4:3). now there are two (16:9 and 4:3). This means you will have to change between these two aspect ratios to view a video in the proper and intended fashion. The 4:3 is a dead platform and soon nobody will be releasing DVDs filmed in this aspect ratio.

Thanks!! It's nice to know it's not me. Has anyone bought the downloads? I'm wondering if they are the same way?

Thank you!!

The downloads are also released in 16:9 ratio just the same as the DVDs. This is the standard method of filming nowadays. There are no 4:3 TV's being made anymore and most video productions are being filmed in 16:9, not 4:3 anymore. The days of 4:3 are over and I doubt after this year if anyone will be filming in the older 4:3 ratio.

So if it is filmed in 16:9 and my DVD player is set to 16:9 and my HD TV is set to 16:9 will the picture have the quality of the DVD's filmed in 4:3 in the past? I don't understand why this is so grainy and looks like a movie instead of all my other Cathe DVD's. I haven't had any problem with Cathe looking squished. She just isn't as clear as all my other DVD's. I have STS too and that looks just perfect. I'm just trying to understand.

Thanks!!!

Aspect ratio doesn't have anything to do with quality unless you have a setting wrong. For instance, if your DVD player is set to 4:3 and your TV is set to 16:9, yes quality of the picture can and will be affected. Other things like the type of cable you use to connect your player to your TV to a whole host of other things can affect how any DVD looks when played on a TV. Even the way a DVD player can up-sample a video output to a HD TV can affect how any DVD will look.

All I really want to know is how do I get the picture quality of the old DVD's (STS and previous) on the new DVD's (Lower Body Blast)? Is it even possible? I would love to get STS Total Body and Intensity but if I can't get the picture quality of the old DVD's I will have to pass and look into other alternatives.

Thanks!!!

The number one thing I can suggest is to make sure your DVD player is sending a 16:9 signal to your TV and that your TV is set to 16:9, but beyond that there are just way too many variables depending on your player and TV model and type and cable connections to answer your question. We've have tested the new workouts on over 20 different types of TV/DVD player combinations and found the picture quality to be excellent except in one case. In this one case the DVD player was sending a 4:3 signal that when we corrected the setting the problem was solved.

I guess I am out of luck. I have a Conusmer Reports recommended Panasonic DVD player & a Consumer Reports recommended 46" Samsung LCDTV that was professionally installed (within the last year) with Rocketfish cables all set to 16:9 format. I love the workout but my eyes have so much trouble looking at the LBB DVD that I get a headache (I know it isn't the workout because like Cathe recommends I watched the workout before I did it). I guess I will be passing on the other new DVD's.

Thanks,

Has anyone noticed that the pictures are stretch up (Cathe and cast are taller and skinny) on a 4:3 ratio?

Yes, that is exactly what will happen with any 16:9 DVD played as a 4:3 aspect ratio. If you play any 4:3 DVD as a 16:9 the opposite will be true and everyone will appear squashed.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.