Drinking Alcohol & Weight Loss

PranaGirl

So.... what are thoughts on having a couple drinks and loosing weight. I don't drink a lot, but I'll have a glass or two of wine several nights a week sometimes. Or have a couple margaritas with girlfriends on the weekend.

I'm thinking this is getting in the way of my weight loss goals. :eek:

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

i think its fine as long as you consider it your treat for the week and as long as its no more then 2 or 3. Many times drinking leads to not caring about what you eat and thats really where the problem is. So i say choose either the alcohol or the meal (becasue the margaritas can have just as many cals as a meal). As long as your strick through the week and not binging out on 3,000cals worth of alcohol and food on the weekend you should still be able to lose weight.

I try to stay away from it for the most part. I do have two drinks each Friday when I go out with friends and i'll allow myself a glass of wine with dinner on Saturday, but that's it. I would love to have wine with dinner every night, but I just feel like it's a whole lot of extra calories and makes my tummy feel bloated the next day.

I would say, just be truthful when you add the drinks to your caloric intake for the day. If you're already consuming your calorie max for the day then the alcohol is an overload.

If you are going to drink you should stick to wine or lite beer if you are concerned about calories. Fancy mixed drinks have a ton of calories and a ton of sugar.

Frozen: 180 calories (all carbs) for a 4 oz serving. Considering the average margarita glass holds 12 oz you're looking at 540 calories.

Thanks for the feedback. :)
I know I need to cut back more on the alcohol. A few beers here and there doesn't seem like a lot, but it adds up.

Thanks!

it is very very unfortunate, but booze can totally wreck all your careful food choices for the week in an hour. there are so many fat free, sugar free foods...if someone could come up with a 100 calorie margarita they would be set for life!

when i am tracking my calories and working out like i should, i have to just get my game face on and NOT drink during the week (ok 5 days a week);) because let's face it, having to limit yourself to one glass of wine is just a tease.

jes

One glass (6 oz) of red wine has approx 125 calories. Those calories will certainly add up over the course of the day. You say you like 2 glasses with lunch. That is 250 calories. You like a bottle with dinner. I don't even know how many glasses that would constitute but even if it were just another 2, you have downed 500 calories (and that number just keeps going up with each glass) of wine over the day. This can DEFINITELY slow down weight loss and it is highly recomended that you stay away from alcohol during weight loss because it provides nothing but empty calories that have no nutritional value. Yes, I know red wine is great, but during a weight loss program, it really needs to be more of a treat that a staple of the daily diet.

To put it in perspective a bit, a pound of fat is equivalent to 3500 lbs so creating a daily deficit of 500 calories would help you lose about 1 lb per week. You could create a substantial deficit just by cutting out that wine. Like i said, one glass with dinner isn't a problem, but it is just filling you up with empty calories if you drink it the way you say you do.

http://hubpages.com/hub/calories-in-beer--liqour--wine--cocktails

-----------------------------------------
lalalalallooveeee
Personal Training Chicago

For me, alcohol always makes me put on weight, and its not the calories, it just doesn't work with my system. Try going for a week only drinking light beer instead of margaritas to see if the calories or holding you back.

Good luck with that,

Alisha

gotta chime in here

For me, alcohol always makes me put on weight, and its not the calories, it just doesn't work with my system. Try going for a week only drinking light beer instead of margaritas to see if the calories or holding you back.

Good luck with that,

Alisha

I have the same issue with alcohol. I too like an occasional glass of wine or a light beer at the end of the work day. It totally screws up my weight loss even if I leave room for the calories! (and yes, I track EVERY single one when I am in weight loss mode, and I measure and weigh portions)
I believe it may have to do with messing up my hormones that burn fat but I'm not sure. It took me a long time and a lot of frustration to figure out why on a 1500 calorie diet with exercise (Cathe videos!) I was NOT BUDGING. Cut out my evening drink (at the time only abour 3x per week) and I started to move again.
Most people could probably handle it if they stay in their calorie range but apparently not me!

When it comes to alcohol think of each sip as taking in a little spoonful of sugar. Alcohol turns to sugar in the body and sugar if in excess (which alcohol is definately in excess when in comes to sugar intake) turns to stored body fat, most often in the abdomen. If u really want to see weight loss, alcohol should b the thing u cut out the most along with the rest of the sugar in ur diet. Not only is it stored in the abdomen but it also causes inflammation in the body which increases the stress hormone cortisol to release and cortisol further increases stored body fat, mor specifically in the abdomen. In addition, alcohol lowers your inhibitions leading u to make poorer choices regarding healthy activities and food choices. Limit alcohol consumption as much as possible to see further weight loss results:)

I drink a glass of red wine every night, and when I'm really trying to drop weight, I limit it to every other night and make sure when I do drink it that I factor the calories in.

I drink it strictly for the antioxidants, of course. :p

Skinnygirl margarita

Technically there is a 100cal margarita product out there developed by Bethenny Frankel (per 4oz serving) and its ingredients are far better than your average margarita. (And it has made her a very rich woman.)

I'm personally not a fan of margaritas (although I am a fan of Bethenny) and would much rather enjoy a nice beer every so often rather than a mixed drink or glass of wine.

This has been my biggest struggle. Ive been a regular drinker for years and am trying to cut back. Been doing better but its almost a constant temptation and battle in my free time.

you should exercise more i mean aerobics and cardio. and once in a while have a glass of wine. not everyday. and consume red wine

Hi,

I exercise faithfully 6 days a week, I do 3 days of strength training (just finished up STS for the 4th time!) and I do light cardio on the days I do weights, then longer cardio other 3 days. I also have a glass of wine almost every night with dinner and two mixed drinks on Friday and Saturday nights. So far, its not affected my weight. What I do is this, before and after I have a drink, I make sure to drink 32 oz of water. OK, I know that sounds like a lot of water, but alcohol dehydrates the body, so I feel that by staying hydrated it helps to counteract that, as well as flush out my system quicker. As for the mixed drinks, I drink Bacardi light rum and Diet Coke, but I only drink those on the weekends. I like margaritas, but I probably haven't had one in several years, they are just so full of sugar, I would feel weird when I drink one from the sugar rush.

Also, having drinks at home is much more affordable than having them at a restaurant or bar. Two glasses of wine at most restaurants is about $14 and for that you can buy a decent bottle of wine at the grocery or liquor store. And, they make those low sugar and sugar free margarita mixers that I don't think are offered at restauraunts. Plus, not only does having drinks at home save money, it can save lives too. I personally do not like to drive even after having only one drink while out.

I work a very stressful job and I enjoy coming home at night and having a drink. Honestly, I didn't drink until my husband & I married because my friends and family never did, but when we got together, much of our social life involves having drinks.

Hope that helps, good luck to you!

It depends on your goals, but most PT's and nutritionists say that you should abstain all together. Not only for the calorie intake but for the other things it does to you body. Yes, red wine has some proven health benefits, but it's unlikely that you will make yourself more unhealthy by abstaining. It also can prevent you from getting a good night's sleep. Really, most of it is socialization. You are expected to drink in certain social situations and it feels normal. It was really, really, really hard at first but now I keep it to special, special occasions. In fact, I haven't had anything in a year and find after a while you don't miss it. Then when you have an opportunity to have some you sort of think twice and say, do I really want that?

it is very very unfortunate, but booze can totally wreck all your careful food choices for the week in an hour. there are so many fat free, sugar free foods...if someone could come up with a 100 calorie margarita they would be set for life!

when i am tracking my calories and working out like i should, i have to just get my game face on and NOT drink during the week (ok 5 days a week);) because let's face it, having to limit yourself to one glass of wine is just a tease.

jes

Jdollprince....I actually do make 100 calorie margaritas....I use..lite jose cuervo margarita mix and sugar free monin syrup in either blackberry, mango or strawberry flavor with monin sugar free triple sec. All of these have zero calories except the tequila of course which is about 100 calories per shot I believe. You can get the margarita mix at super walmart and the syrups on line at Moninstore.com. I make them when I have company and everyone loves them. Especially when I tell them how low calorie they are and if we have two in one nightnite it doesn't kill your weight loss goals!

Former drinker here...I've done it all, moderate, occasional, and all-out every night binging. Not pretty. Abstain if possible. Once you cut. Booze out of your life for a few months you'll wonder why you ever drank it. I used to LOVE beer. I drank beer every night and partied a lot on weekends. It affects you in ways that you are unaware of until you cut it out 100%.

Ymmv....but my skin is better, I've lost weight, I can control my food and workout schedule better, and I just prefer a life without alcohol. Also after 2-3 months you will HATE the taste. I tried drinking a beer on Xmas...lmfao. It was disgusting.

Former drinker here...I've done it all, moderate, occasional, and all-out every night binging. Not pretty. Abstain if possible. Once you cut. Booze out of your life for a few months you'll wonder why you ever drank it. I used to LOVE beer. I drank beer every night and partied a lot on weekends. It affects you in ways that you are unaware of until you cut it out 100%.

Ymmv....but my skin is better, I've lost weight, I can control my food and workout schedule better, and I just prefer a life without alcohol. Also after 2-3 months you will HATE the taste. I tried drinking a beer on Xmas...lmfao. It was disgusting.

Good for you!

I tried to b a drinker cause my family was but i cant stand the taste. If i get past the taste i get a headache before the morning. At times id drink two beers and headache already. Or a mixed drink. If i get past all that im to to silly. I am silly without drinking. So i do not do it.
I wish my son would read ur comment he is 22 and spends his money on it. He claims its hard to make it, he is single and shares rent, the only reason he has a time saving is he drinks too much. I just think its toxic for his health and wallet ..

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.