Downloads not Working

My download speed has picked up, but every download I've done today is only partial. I've downloaded Rockin Step 1 several times and each time it is a partial download.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have downloaded past workout offerings on the day they were available without ever having the slow speeds that I have been getting yesterday and today. And in the past I have downloaded three or four at a time without a problem. The same everything on this end has been in place for at least the past two offerings. I did reboot my computer yesterday--twice--and cleared my cache. I also tried holding off until the wee hours of this morning (I'm a night owl anyway). If anything, the download estimated times got longer (although I have not had the full-day estimates that some have gotten). I set several to download overnight, and it still took just as long as any I had tried previously and all day today. The full-length workouts are taking 4-5 hours. One of them, Party Rockin' Step 1, I had to do twice because upon spot check it did not play at the very end of the workout. I read that you were having trouble with that link and had updated it today--I have not had a chance to spot check it again. Disabling my virus protection has made no difference.

I will have all of the workouts eventually and will have them for years to come. I expect to complete the downloads by tomorrow, assuming that what I have been able to download to date is complete. And I should have the DVDs by the end of the week. This is a first-world problem, without a doubt, but a customer satisfaction concern, nonetheless.

I have downloaded other newly released DVDs without any issues. My download speed this time is around 40 Kb/sec. I am in Alberta, Canada and have a wired connection.

Let me see if I can help you and several others understand better how a video file download works, what can cause it to take so long and what can be done about it. I'm sure server load on our end is causing some delay problems, but nothing like you're experiencing. As an example, I just did a test on downloading FlexTrain and it only took me 25 minutes to download FlexTrain while it is taking you almost a day to download just one file.

Actually, right after I posted, I tried downloading another workout, and got crazy long times again for 2 different workouts, which I then cancelled. Then I tried FlexTrain and that one was more reasonable, and took 2.5 hours to download. Yeah!!

So maybe the load for FlexTrain was not as bad this evening.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately, I actually had already done all of the suggestions you gave. I can't do anything about my download speed (supposed to be 15MB, but often as slow as 5MB, which is what FlexTrain ended up being.)

I really do think there is a problem on the server side, and not just on our own individual computers. I am a software engineer and front-end web developer so I am pretty comfortable trouble-shooting these types of things. I don't expect a quick download on an 800MB file, but these times are extreme.

Also, many of my downloads just aborted after several hours. I don't think I'm the only person this has happened to.

I understand that you don't have any control over Amazon serving us these files, but I just wanted to inform you of the problems, because maybe some alternative solutions can be considered for the future. I don't know what the answer is, but there are probably ideas out there, like maybe having multiple copies of the files on their servers. Maybe even asking people to only download one file at a time would help, even though there may not be a way to enforce this.

Again, as NancyAZ says, this is a "first world problem" and I am not upset. I just really want you to know that there is a problem, in case you want to fix it for next time.

Download problem

My download speed has picked up, but every download I've done today is only partial. I've downloaded Rockin Step 1 several times and each time it is a partial download.

That means your timing out and losing connection. This can be caused by wireless, virus software, high server demand, your isp, and a host of other reasons. But without knowing details about your system it's hard to say. If this problem continues you will need to use a pre-loader which is free or isolate the cause. I would try to download a different workout to rule out Party Rockin step as the cause since you may still be accessing the old bad link.

SNM - When I went purchased the downloads and used my discount code, as you suggested, I tried to download Step Party 1 and it didn't work. It sent me to another page that said there was a problem with your website. Anyways, I never got an email with the download links and I couldn't get back to the download page after it went to the server error page. I did send a request to CS about them sending me an email with the links on it. I would like to have my downloads and was surprised I never received an email confirming my order as I have in the past.

Thank you,
Cheryl

Actually, right after I posted, I tried downloading another workout, and got crazy long times again for 2 different workouts, which I then cancelled. Then I tried FlexTrain and that one was more reasonable, and took 2.5 hours to download. Yeah!!

So maybe the load for FlexTrain was not as bad this evening.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately, I actually had already done all of the suggestions you gave. I can't do anything about my download speed (supposed to be 15MB, but often as slow as 5MB, which is what FlexTrain ended up being.)

I really do think there is a problem on the server side, and not just on our own individual computers. I am a software engineer and front-end web developer so I am pretty comfortable trouble-shooting these types of things. I don't expect a quick download on an 800MB file, but these times are extreme.

Also, many of my downloads just aborted after several hours. I don't think I'm the only person this has happened to.

I understand that you don't have any control over Amazon serving us these files, but I just wanted to inform you of the problems, because maybe some alternative solutions can be considered for the future. I don't know what the answer is, but there are probably ideas out there, like maybe having multiple copies of the files on their servers. Maybe even asking people to only download one file at a time would help, even though there may not be a way to enforce this.

Again, as NancyAZ says, this is a "first world problem" and I am not upset. I just really want you to know that there is a problem, in case you want to fix it for next time.

There could always be something that we're not aware of yet, but it can't really be the video file. The video file either will work for everyone or it won't work for anyone. There is nothing in-between. From what we've seen so far everything seems to be working, just not as fast as we would like. But this in many cases is just because of extremely high server demand. You have to remember that because of the pre-sale you have 6 months worth of orders trying to be claimed all at once.

Typically, a company selling fitness downloads may have 10 or so request in a day for a particular download if they're lucky. We're getting many times that amount each minute, so things will be slower than normal. But as the servers replicate themselves and demand drops things should hopefully speed up for most people. But this may take several days or longer to happen.

There are not any settings for us to look at and tweak since this is just a file server that passes off and caches the video file on Amazon. Unfortunately, we don't have any admin control over Amazon's servers, but they're pretty good at running their content servers and have far greater expertise than we do anyway.

What I suggest you try is a "video manager" like we mention in our tutorial on our site. A video manager will break apart into smaller chunks and then reassemble a video file . The advantage of using a video manager is if your download is interrupted, the video manager will just pickup where it left off. Without using a video manager once your file is interrupted the download stops and you have to try again.

Here is a link to a video manager that should hopefully solve the problem you're having (see step #5): Downloading is slow, stalls, or does not complete.

Party Rockin Step download issues

SNM - When I went purchased the downloads and used my discount code, as you suggested, I tried to download Step Party 1 and it didn't work. It sent me to another page that said there was a problem with your website. Anyways, I never got an email with the download links and I couldn't get back to the download page after it went to the server error page. I did send a request to CS about them sending me an email with the links on it. I would like to have my downloads and was surprised I never received an email confirming my order as I have in the past.

Thank you,
Cheryl

We had a problem with several links being incorrect for some of the Party Rockin videos yesterday. We've now corrected this problem, but I'm not sure if the links you have are being auto forwarded to the correct links yet. I'm waiting to hear back from Josh on this. The easiest thing for now is to just contact customer service with your order info and have them resend the links.

That means your timing out and losing connection. This can be caused by wireless, virus software, high server demand, your isp, and a host of other reasons. But without knowing details about your system it's hard to say. If this problem continues you will need to use a pre-loader which is free or isolate the cause. I would try to download a different workout to rule out Party Rockin step as the cause since you may still be accessing the old bad link.

Thanks! I think it times out...not sure what causes that:confused:, but if my downloads take a crazy long time it always times out. Whatever you did to fix Rockin Body changed the download speeds to normal(took my computer 3 minutes to download).
I have 25 of the 26 downloads now. :D I've tried downloading X10 instrumental several times with no luck. I will wait a week or so to try it again. I'm happy I have X10 with lyrics.:)

I went ahead and decided to try to download Flex Train and Lean Legs and both downloads only took 15 minutes to download!!:D I don't know if you fixed the links to the downloads SMN but they seem to be downloading at a normal speed now, at least the two links are

I have done 4 downloads this morning, and they either completed quickly or are giving me reasonable download times - yeah!

To be fair, we were warned that it would be slow the first few days! :eek: Just couldn't wait to see the new Cathes - thanks!

(They look fabulous, and I am so happy that you included the instrumental version as downloads. I generally like the music, but it's always nice to be able to change things up!)

Speed seems to be improving

Glad to hear you were able to download almost everything. I'll do a test on X10 later on to see if it works for me. So everyone knows the problem with several of the Party Rockin Step downloads was not the file, but instead we had a mistake in the link address we sent. This caused a lot of problems people were having on Monday. We've now corrected this issue, but I still have to verify with Josh that the links for people who had already claimed their downloads are now redirecting to the right place. Since it seems you were able to download Party Rockin Step I'm assuming they're working correctly, but I still want to verify this.

Using a Video Manager

I have done 4 downloads this morning, and they either completed quickly or are giving me reasonable download times - yeah!

To be fair, we were warned that it would be slow the first few days! :eek: Just couldn't wait to see the new Cathes - thanks!

(They look fabulous, and I am so happy that you included the instrumental version as downloads. I generally like the music, but it's always nice to be able to change things up!)

This is kind of what we expect and hope to happen, so glad it is now working for you. You have to allow time for the Amazon servers to replicate and cache our video files on servers all over the world. Still, some people will have problems unrelated to the high server demand and we will try to help everyone as best we can.

If you have a slow connection or are using wireless we would strongly suggest you use a pre-loader video manager to download your files if you experience issues; Here is a link to learn how: Downloading is slow, stalls, or does not complete.

This. I'm just going to be patient and wait for the weekend... FRUSTRATING!

One more question: Will there be an instrumental version of Great Glutes and Great Glutes Bonus posted?

Thanks!

Great Glutes Music

The file you see now is an instrumental version. Great Glutes only has an instrumental version. Great Glutes is the only workout in the series where we did not use singers.

The file you see now is an instrumental version. Great Glutes only has an instrumental version. Great Glutes is the only workout in the series where we did not use singers.

Thanks! I think I have all my files and was just going to start previewing, so I hadn't noticed it was instrumental.

Well, off to preview and work out! Thanks so much for all your help.

I was able to download all rather quickly except for Rockout Knockout. This one seems to be taking a while. No big deal though as I am not in any rush.

Glad to hear you were able to download almost everything. I'll do a test on X10 later on to see if it works for me. So everyone knows the problem with several of the Party Rockin Step downloads was not the file, but instead we had a mistake in the link address we sent. This caused a lot of problems people were having on Monday. We've now corrected this issue, but I still have to verify with Josh that the links for people who had already claimed their downloads are now redirecting to the right place. Since it seems you were able to download Party Rockin Step I'm assuming they're working correctly, but I still want to verify this.

Thanks again! I was able to complete the X10 instrumental download this morning.:D It took 2 hours, but the download was successful and much better than the 8 hours it took me to download the music with lyrics Monday.

X10 Download

Glad to hear! Sounds like things are starting to get back to normal download speeds and at the very least improving as time goes by.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.