Dog question, please help

Amysue

Cathlete
Hey everyone,
I have a question about dogs. I have a 7 year old German Shepherd, male, neutered. He has been diagnosed with Lyme disease and although he's being treated, he's not doing so well. I love him so much, it's breaking my heart to watch him gimp around. He used to love to run with me, but now it's just torture for him. So, that brings me to the matter at hand.

My question is this...I'm getting an Austrailian Shepherd puppy, male...how do I acclimate my old dog with this pup? I'm a little nervous about it. My German Shepherd is only mean about two things: the ball and his dish. I think I can handle the dish problem, but the ball may be tough. He bites and rolls other dogs who might happen to get the ball before he does. Am I worrying too much? Does anyone have any advice? I get this pup in a few weeks. He has a hernia which we will have repaired when he's fixed, but that won't be for a while and I'd hate for my dog to make his problem worse. My dog is well trained and listens well...maybe all it will take is a little work? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.
Amy

I went through a similar situation a while back. I had a 5-year old greyhound,rescued from the track)that we'd had for over a year and my husband got me a miniature dachshund puppy for Christmas. It was a mess at first!! It was really hard to keep them out of each other's food. The greyhound's food was a high-protein formula and the puppy had puppy food. For some reason, they really liked each other's better than their own. We finally had to just start feeding them separately. As far as toys go, I would take his ball away for awhile if he's that protective of it. That way he can get to know and love the new puppy before you re-introduce his favorite toy and he'll be less likely to hurt the puppy. There will definitely be some jealousy at first!!!

Ashley,
Thanks for your input. I think taking the ball away is the right thing to do at first. After the jealousy phase, though, please tell me it gets better. I want one big, happy, hairy family.
Amy

I'm sure that it'll all work out eventually! We were really careful to include our older dog in all of the activities with the puppy--that way he didn't feel left out. If someone is making a fuss over your new puppy, make sure that someone's giving the older dog attention at the same time. You'll be able to tell pretty quickly the things that are going to create jealousy (in addition to his dish and ball) and I would just put those away for awhile. Good Luck with your babies!!!

Hi, Amy

My 8-year-old basset is just about to finish his 3-week treatment for Lyme disease. He's just about his old self. Yesterday we went for a three mile walk on a public trail and there were horses in front of us somewhere--I got a workout trying to restrain him! I'm so sorry your German Shepherd is not having such good results with the treatment. I know that Lyme can be very tricky for humans, too. Maybe another course of a different anti-biotic? I've had Brutus on 1000 mg of glucosamine daily, also. His anti-biotic was doxycycline.

As far as the introductions go, it's always best to have two strange dogs meet on neutral territory. Take them to a dog park or a friend's backyard where they can meet on their own terms. Your shepherd will not feel defensive in those circumstances. Some puppies start out submissive, but with a much older "sibling" they may try to take over when they hit adolescence. Aussies can be very assertive. From the very beginning I would make the ball a big NO for the pup. I would introduce some tug toys that they could play with together, but ball time with you has to be the older guy's special thing. I would feed them separately, and while the pup is still getting several meals a day, I would give big brother a small treat every time the pup eats.

If the older dog is dog friendly other than with those two things you mention, he will "train" the pup in the rules of the house. He may really enjoy having a sidekick. Pups can be a real shot in the arm to an older dog. They will have their herding instincts in common, so you will be well looked after! I wouldn't let them play together unsupervised until the hernia is all healed. If his pain makes him uncharacteristically grumpy, make sure the pup has something else to play with so he can get the rest he needs.

Can you tell I'm a dog nut? Good luck and let us know how it comes out. Try to stay calm because your older dog will want to protect you if he senses you're nervous.

--Ann

If you haven't already, PLEASE think about this situation from the older dog's perspective. Becoming gimpy is extremely hard on him already. Now you're bringing a new dog into the home. The Shepard might feel he's being phased out. Also, the puppy will consume your time that will be taken away from the ailing dog. If the shepard is already feeling bad because he can't jump and run like he used to, he may need 'more' of your time than you give 'now' when there is no puppy. That will affect your older dog. On top of all this you will take away his most favored toy? Ouch.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the input. We have definately discussed what to do with the ball. It's his favorite thing. I'm leaning toward playing with Mojo outside with his ball and the pup inside with a tug toy, at least for a while...with my husband and I switching off on who is playing with whom.
Mojo has good days and bad days. Today he is jumping and running and wanting to go for the mail. He actually went for a run with us the other day and did well. I am definately calling the vet, though, for another round of antibiotics.
But as for Mojo feeling left out and old, that's not out intention and we're hoping he'll have a companion when we're out of the house. Mojo is such a special dog with such a big heart. He's been my constant friend. I've struggled with getting another dog, but I figure that people have more than one child, too and everyone has to adjust. So, since I'm not having any children, this is my last "child". Mojo will always be my #1 pupper.
Thanks again for all the help. I'll put to use all your good ideas. Mojo says "thanks" too.
Amy

You probably already are aware that there is a Lyme vaccine for animals now. I've heard of cases where dogs get the disease even though they're vaccinated but it decreases their chance by a lot. I live in Northern New England and ticks are outrageous here - I've been finding ticks on my dog since February of this year, Advantix or Frontline is essential for keeping the ticks off of pets. Keep an eye on yourself as well. My sister had a bout with lyme disease and showed no symptoms other than aching feet in the mornings - no rash or flu like symptoms.

Another poster mentioned introducing the dogs on neutral territory which is sound advice. Since most adult dogs become annoyed with puppies quickly maybe you could set up a few play dates and gradually increase the play time until you bring the puppy home?

Good luck with your new puppy! Have you decided on a name for him/her?

Boy, I really like the play dates idea. I'll go with that one.

As for names, my husband is good with coming up clever ones. He's named all the German Sheps in our family...Mojo, Rajah, and JuJu (they are my sister's dogs). So, I can't wait to see what he comes up with for this Aussie...he's a blue merle with blue eyes. Any ideas from anyone?
Amy

All I can say is that when I was growing up, we had tons of pets---all coming and going (leaving this earth, I mean) at the same time, all the time. My mother was a saint! ;-)

We often had older dogs and brought in new pups, and there can be a bit of trouble at first, but it always worked out. Eventually the older dog will skulk off to the corner to get away from pup. We had cats and birds in the mix too. It was fine. They all got LOTS of attn.

The trick is to pay MOUNDS of attn to older doggie too, not ignoring him, and being with him more in an 'older dog' way----maybe laying on the floor and watching TV with him close. and scratching him behind the ears, ---whatever. He'll know you love him. And surprisingly, older dogs gradually seem to understand that they can no longer do what they used to.

Amysue,

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and have to agree w/Rhannion. Your dog's health is already being put to the test with his immune system battling they Lyme disease.

Although it may be tempting to get a puppy, I would wait until your dog recovers before introducing the new dog. Getting a new puppy will put your first dog under a great deal of stress and possibly further compromise his condition.

Introducing new animals to an established, healthy pet is stressful enough without throwing an illness on top of it to boot.

Sorry it's not what you may want to hear, but good luck to you!

I feel very qualified to answer this question for you! My female German Shephard (now 7) was three when I got my male (now almost 4) German Shepard. The very first night that we had the male, Timber, home, I got everyone settled and then put him in the living room with Nikki, the female. I gave them each a pig ear to chew adn set them at oppostie ends of the room. After Nikki was done in about ten minutes, Timber picked his up, moseyed over to her, laid his pig ear down in her legs and laid down in front of her. I was just dying with pride at how cute he was and that he was sharing!!!! Well, Nikki literally picked him up off the ground and tossed him to the other side of the room, roared like a lion in the process, grabbed his pig ear and ran to the corner like a rabid dog to protect her prey. I ALMOST DIED! I was curled up int he corner of the couch, gripping BF's daughter for life and trying to re-start my heart beat and BF dealt with the poor animals!!

Here's the deal.. and I didn't yet read the responses to this so I hope I didn't repeat (it's late and I didn't think before I wrote!). Your currenmt dog is the rule of the roost and when you bring another dog in, there will be friction. There is a sharing of space, attention, etc. Personally, I would feed them separately for a while. They will be eating different foods and you want to monitor the pup's food so just separate them for a half hour while you feed them. As for the ball, why don't you stock that away while the pup is around and maybe take it out when you crate (or will you not crate?) or have the pup elsewhere. That can be just you and the old dog's game, at least for a while. That will avoid much fighting and then when the pup gets older, they can slug it out or you can introduce it somehow (maybe get him his own ball and after a while they will trade off and play together).

I have to say that having Nikki around when Timber was a pup was awesome b/c he did everything that she did. I brought them both out to the bathroom. She'd go and then he would go. It was like she showed him everything! She also corrected him when he did things wrong and sort of showed him the way around the house. A few times, she "yelled" at him way before I did! They were both DREAMS to train but he definitely learned a lot from her (even some "bad" things!)

Good Luck!
Christine

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm committed to getting this puppy, so it's probably too late to wait. Mojo is doing pretty well in comparison to 4 weeks ago. He ran last night and played ball. His mood has improved, too. I plan to make sure that he knows that we love him and he's not being pushed out of the picture. He also goes to my sister's farm where she has two German Sheps that he has to share with, play with, etc. So, he's not always the lone dog. He loves to go there.
I'm sure it won't be easy. Nothing worth having is...right?
Thanks again.
Amy

Amy - it won't be so bad at all! Don't worry! It seems bad now but after a couple of weeks, there will be a system and you will be all set!

Amysue, I just had to pop in and say that you are soo cute! REading how much you care about your dog just makes me smile. It's amazing how much we grow to love those guys, isn't it?
And, here's one more thought, it may have already been said, but maybe this puppy will spark some energy into your other dog. He may just start to play a little bit more, and act just a little bit younger. Maybe that is crazy thinking, but it's a thought anyway. Good luck with your transition, I'm sure your a great doggy mommy and will be sure to not let your older dog feel like he's being pushed to the side.

Kathy

Is the breeder aware of your other dog's current condition? I agree with the other posters that it is not fair to your GSD at all. Also, he is more likely to be aggressive when is not feeling weel. A good reputable breeder would be more than happy to let you "out of the deal" if you explained the situation. To be honest, I would not sell a puppy to someone in your situation at this moment in time. I am sure you will make a WONDERFUL home for a new pup, just not at this moment in time.

If you do decide to bring the pup home, keep them separated at first. Use a baby gate or xpen to keep them apart. When you start leting them together, this is what I do with my intact male Dobe...and mind you I did not put them together until pup was about 5 months old (a. risk of injury; b risk of mental injury if always being dominated)

1. Puppy does not go to greet adult
2. Puppy on leash
3. All greetings are on adults terms; meaning adult dog instigates greetings, etc.
4. No playing yet; not until they get to know each other
5. No TOYS out, especially not the ball
6. No FOOD OUT, feed separately until is about 1 year old
7. Do not force them to interact.

At first I did a lot of puppy on leash, me holding puppy, hanging out in the living room, hubby petting other dogs.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Colleen

One more thing:

"My German Shepherd is only mean about two things: the ball and his dish. I think I can handle the dish problem, but the ball may be tough. He bites and rolls other dogs who might happen to get the ball before he does. Am I worrying too much? Does anyone have any advice?"

If it were me, I'd do one of two things:
1. Teach GSD this is UNACCEPTABLE behavior;
2. If that cannot be done, end of story GSD does not get to play ball with other dogs around period.

I would not let this behavior continue.

Had to edit for one more thing: If you are going to introduce them on neutral territory, please make sure a) pup has all shots or b) it is in a safe environment like a friend's and not at a park.

Colleen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.