Does anyone view before doing the videos?

dona

Cathlete
Hi -

I just wonder if I'm the only one that does not have the patience (also spare time) to preview the videos before doing them? I just can't quite bring myself to watch them first before I exercise along. I know Cathe mentions that this should be done with all workouts before doing them. I just don't know if I can do this!

I should get my new IS DVD's today! (YES!) But, I'm sick today. I just might have to preview them or do one with very little intensity. Yep, that's what I'll do! I'll try the one that sounds the easiest C&W and go very light and easy. I can't wait to breathe better.

Previously, I had been doing mostly Cathe's strength videos. I am "choreographically challenged" and had found the step videos beyond my ability to follow. I found that I can do pretty well keeping up with Power Max (never previewed, of course). I'm a bit lost during the 360's but (just do repeaters until I can figure it out) otherwise I can hang in there for this one. I tried Step Works recently and got my feet tied in a knot. I think I'll try that later with the DVD on 1/2 speed. But, I just don't think that I can hang in there watching but not trying! Is it just me????

My best regards to all of you and special cheers for those of you just getting your DVD's!

Dona

I usually preview new tapes/dvd's. I like to have an idea of what equipment I need to get out, if I need to push chairs out of the way for space hogging tapes, and if I need to double bra for very high impact stuff.

I've been pre-viewing my workouts for the last couple of years. Since I usually receive the workouts on a day when I either don't plan to workout or have already done my workout, I use the time to take notes (what weights I probably will use, based on my previous experience). I will often not view the entire workout straight through, but fast forward through repeated sections.

I don't ever preview a video. The best way for me to learn a video is by doing it. So if I think it's going to be complicated or hard, I just take it a little easy the first time I do it. Or, I'll do something like do the video without the step the first time (although it's been a while since I've even done that).

It just didn't seem to help me any to preview a video! And, Cathe's looked like so much fun I wanted to get up and do them with her! So that's what I do now.

I actually tried previewing my new Cathe's and I think I would prefer to just get them out & do them. After I saw all the lunges & pushups in either MIS or PH, can't remember which one it was, I was afraid of it!!

But, I also tried C&W, and couldn't keep up with the step for anything, got mad at it and put it away! I don't think previewing it would have help any with that though, b/c watching her do the step and me not attempting, doesn't do me any good either!

I have quite a few Cathe's I got used, and I doubt I'll preview them first. Maybe if I'm doing my glider, I will, but not necessarily.

I ended up just waiting to get my wedding tape for the simpler choreo and decided that until I am up to speed on that one, I'm not going to choose step!! I have Step Heat on it's way, so I'll wanna try that b/c I heard it's easier choreo too.

Kathy

I always preview them. Today, I got my DVDs, watched Boot Camp while eating dinner, then watched IMax2 while riding my Airdyne. I used the intervals to do bike intervals and rode 12 miles in 40 minutes, then just watched intervals 9 and 10 while I stretched. It was great.

Later I will view PLB and then tomorrow I'll do it. Probably preview something else, etc. That way, I eventually view them all first. I like to know what to expect, how much space, what weights to set up. I use them as entertainment the first time around.

I'm to impatient to pre-view. I just jump right in and go for it.
Allthough, sometimes I just stand there in amazement...or shock!:eek:

I always preview - especially step. I find I can learn the choreography faster and easier if I mentally know whats coming. For strength tapes I preview enough so I know what size dumbbells or bars and weights I need so I don't have to keep stopping to make adjustments.

You wrote:
"Previously, I had been doing mostly Cathe's strength videos. I am "choreographically challenged" and had found the step videos beyond my ability to follow."

Dona-
Did that change? I love all the strength training workouts, but I can't follow step choreography to save my life. Can such a disability be overcome? :)

-Nancy

"I always preview - especially step. I find I can learn the choreography faster and easier if I mentally know whats coming. For strength tapes I preview enough so I know what size dumbbells or bars and weights I need so I don't have to keep stopping to make adjustments."

Ditto to all your comments. I ALWAYS preview.

Just Do It! :7

Thats something I never do either.I am sure it is probably not a good thing.But I just find that Cathe always throws in a few things that you have already seen so it never takes much to catch on.
I did preview the first few minutes of it and then that was it.But I diffently don't have the time either:) Don't got time to do noth'in
Lori

I always preview at least once for cardio 2 or 3 times depending on how I find the moves. I find it better for me than rewinding the workout whilst I am doing it with Cathe it is getting easier as I am getting more familiar with her moves and trust her cueing.

I always preview tapes of instructors I don't know and the pryamid method CAthe uses in the new split tapes is useful to see what equipment I will need.

With step tapes I find you need to build up what I like to call "step memory" I find that with the steps I find hardest to learn they are the ones that when I get them my feet never forget.

Babs

I always preview new workouts. I am receiving my DVDs today. I am planning on running 4 miles on my threadmill while previewing Bootcamp and having my chidren have fun doing the workout. I have a 5k on 2/22 and have to train so this works out for us. I love previewing because it gets me all pumped up for them! Tomorrow morning I am doing Bootcamp!

Blessings from our home to yours...Runathon

I'm definitely improving at Step-Aerobics! I'm nowhere near good. It helps enormously that I have the athletic strength to do the moves. (Since, I'm a 41 year old mother that is only due to many strength workouts.) Getting my feet to go in the correct ways is the hard part. If I think too hard about it, I'll get lost. Also, I think that if I pre-view the workout, I might be scared off.

If I just do my best to follow, I can follow more and more each time. Also, step choreography had been very frustrating. Now, I can ALMOST follow well enough that the easier choreography is fun. Each time there is a new move that you can do, you can follow more and more of the work-out. Like I mentioned, some of Cathe's step videos or segments are still way too complicated for me to follow. I will modify by doing the nearest move that I CAN do. I am following much more after only a few weeks of doing this.

If I CAN start to get the hang of Cathe's Step, I know ANYBODY CAN - but it takes persistence.

Dona

I have never previewed a tape or DVD in my life! I have always just jumped right into it and have never had a problem. I could never just sit and watch a workout tape and not want to be doing it. I don't have enough patience or discipline for that.

I got the Intesity tpaes on Jan.3 and did them all unviewed - I got my DVD's yesterday - I did IMAX Extreme without one problem because I already know C & W and IMAX2 so well already from the tapes. I could see how the Terminator DVD would be hard to get if you didn't have the tapes to do beforehand.

I am going to do the Viper tonight before I do Upper Body Pyramid. Then tomorrow I will do the Gauntlet before I do Bootcamp.

I can tell you now IMAX Extreme is the hardest tape I think I have ever done. That makes IMAX2 seem easy. WOW! I was so blown away from that workout.

Cheryl

I preview them, but it is a real challenge to just sit and watch when I want to be following along. It's worth the time to preview, but VERY trying on my patience. I just want to join right in right away.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.