Does anyone have this problem?

cheryllynn

Cathlete
Wanting to go up in weight for squats and lunges. But having difficulty getting the bar up and over my head.x(
Does anyone else have this problem?

There is a limit to how much I can raise over my head without one of my shoulders giving me problems. I've solved the problem by using a weighted vest along with weights. I'd rather not risk hefting more than 40# overhead (I've done it in the past, and my shoulder doesn't like it!). But to that, I can add up to 19# (it's SUPPOSED to be 20#:( ). If I need heavier than 60#, I will do some squat/leg presses on my Rockit (a Soloflex machine that is just for squat/leg presses), where I've done up to 220#).

I can handle 65 pounds on my own. If I want more, I get my husband to spot me. I rarely go over 75 because that's enough for me.
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Maturity is the ability to do a job whether or not you are supervised, to carry money without spending it, and to bear an injustice without wanting to get even.

-Ann Landers

The most I can handle safely over my head is 65lbs. At this point I needed the use of a squat rack, so I joined a gym. I usually don't go anymore than 115lbs. Most of my leg work is around 75-90lbs.

Most of Cathe's workouts, especially anything over 12 reps/high reps, I stick to 40-55lbs at the most.

Namita

I know the feeling. I can't afford a squat rack though or get my SO to spot me x(. I just add more sets when feasible.

I can lift 45 pounds over my head safely. After that, I lift the barbell on to the table in my joint living room/dining room, squat in front of it, roll the bar onto my shoulders and then press up from the squat to standing. Voila! It works just fine for me.

Clare

Yep, sure do. Over 60# My DH was spotting for me. Then I developed Amazon thighs and have since cut my weight down figuring if I can't get it over my head my body is maybe telling me something.:)

Pack-horse no more.
Trish

Yes, but I can squat at the gym. Even in the rack at the gym, I have problems putting over 100 lbs back on the rack! grrr. Which is just fine, becauase I really don't need to squat with anything more for muscles. But it really gets me not being able to do that!!!

>I've seen reference to the weighted vest before. Can you
>tell me where to get one?

I got mine through the reebok online store, when they had a free shipping sale. You could also do a search for "iron wear vest" (Ironwear is the brand of vest I have, and the weights are a heavy rubber-like material that is not hard and doesn't rust like metal).

I use my Bowflex to do heavier weights on lower body squats at 210 lbs. My Max with a barbell is 75 lbs. I just recently was able to advance to this. I did heavy weights with endurance workouts and workouts like SS and found I could go heavier. I stayed at a certain level for a long time. I just suddenly was able to move up. I think it is just a matter of when you are ready to push yourself to the next level. I think you can only go so far lifting the bar over your head.
Diane Sue

How long have you had your bowflex Diane? And do you like it?
I have often thought of getting one, but at the price I was a little unsure. They keep coming out with new models all the time.

I have had my Bowflex for 3 years. I like it a lot. I have the squat attachment which helps me to lift heavier. I use this often on the Slow & Heavy Squats. I also have the leg extension and leg curl attachment so use these as add ons. It is great for upper body exercises as well. And I use it for resistance work for abs. It has a different feel to it than free weights, but once you're used to it it is comfortable.
Diane Sue

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.