Does anyone else have a fear of jumping on the step?

This looks like so much fun and cathe and crew make it look so easy to jump on the step , but I cannot do it. It's like my mind won't let my body do it. I can bunny hop it, but can't take off with 2 feet. It doesn't matter if there is one riser or 4. I can't do. And with moves with 4 risers I can't even bunny hop. I'm so afraid to jump on that high of a step. Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try doing the jumps on the ground, away from your step so at least you get a feel for the movement without involving the step. Or don't jump at all...just modify the movement doing a regular side step onto the platform and off. If I'm not feeling energetic or my legs or knees are not cooperating......that's what I do. Best to keep yourself safe!

That's what I usually do, I just jump on the ground or bunny hop it. I still get a good workout, but jumping on the step looks so fun!

When I'm struggling with a move (1 arm burpees 'springs' to mind), I have to take myself off to my workout room, and try the move alone (ie no Cathe and crew). With no distractions, I find I can often do a move which otherwise is too tricky. I then have the confidence to do the move for real during the workout.

Can you jump up facing the step? It may be the side angle that has you leery. If you can do it just face it and jump up and down without the turns. It's hard and I have yet to keep up with Cathe.

Beth

Try it first as a "take off one leg, land on both feet" type jump to start, see if this helps you feel more in control. Is it the box jump or straddle jump you worry about the most? If one, try the other, just so you get used to being up and down, up and down and can see that you don't come to any harm at all.

If, ultimately, you do not feel secure, just do a big 'ole tuck jump on the floor instead, or big vertical jumps with circle arms. It all counts!

Clare

I can't either! I tried and I can do a few but my form is such if I keep going I may not do well only joints so I concentrate at slower controlled pace and then I will modify the rest by skipping up onto the step and stepping off. I can't jump off because I am afraid of hurting my feet or twisting my ankles. So on the plyo dvd I remember Ed I have a very small stepper and got it out and used it! No risers! I know sounds tame but it was still a good workout for me and I didn't give up. I figure I keep doing it on this till I can actually jump on and off all reps with good form then add risers then get form correct again then go back to the original club step for the plyo HIIT! I hope this works!!! So maybe u have a smaller one? They are some out there for cheap about 25 now and well worth it imo so we can get stronger!!

So this is so weird. As I have gotten older, I am more and more afraid of jumping on the step. I used to do it, but now I guess now I have some kind of fear of hurting myself. So, I either do it on the floor or I do and over facing over type of move. I also have a fear of leg presses now. I only use 4 risers. The mind does what it can to protect the body, I guess :)

I do it, but I too have a fear. A few times, because I'm clumsy, I've almost fell and/or tripped on the step doing the jumps. I feel I'm doing it properly but apparently I am not getting my feet high enough to clear the step half the time. When she uses three risers for jumps I go down to two and that is still dangerous for me. But it is such a great workout for the core that I just concentrate extra hard on getting my feet to clear the board...lol.

This looks like so much fun and cathe and crew make it look so easy to jump on the step , but I cannot do it. It's like my mind won't let my body do it. I can bunny hop it, but can't take off with 2 feet. It doesn't matter if there is one riser or 4. I can't do. And with moves with 4 risers I can't even bunny hop. I'm so afraid to jump on that high of a step. Any tips?

OMG! Shannon, I totally get what you're saying! I am able to do it, but the whole time I'm sort of dreading it. Jumping sideways is more dread-inducing than jumping up when facing forward. I don't know why! it's a constant fear of tripping.

I have found kind of a way around the fear, though. When doing the 8" step workout in Plyo HiiT (RWH), I try to jump it as i would a tuck, really bring your knees up (not as high, but I don't know how else to explain it) so you feel like you're bouncing - that makes it, believe it or not, less scary. If I think of it as jumping up both sideways and vertically at the same time, I can't do it.

It also took me forever to do the side-to-side over the step jumps in the 40/20 workout of Cathe's HiiT dvd. I actually am only able to do it if I use the top of a high step (the square top is the same dimensions/size as one riser in the regular step bench). It was terrifying but I finally got to the point where I can do it for the whole interval. Yet it's still scary for me...no idea why.

Start on the floor or just use the platform without risers. I did this until I was ready to add a set of risers. I never was able to 2 sets of risers. I can't jump high because of impact to bad joint but when I wear my HR monitor I'm still getting into the Hiit zone with the RWH workouts so going lower with the step hasn't affected the quality of the workout for me but I'm only 5'3" tall ( oh and I'm a bit of a klutz cause I do still miss step off during a workout so lower is a bit safer for me during cardio.)

I do it, but I too have a fear. A few times, because I'm clumsy, I've almost fell and/or tripped on the step doing the jumps. I feel I'm doing it properly but apparently I am not getting my feet high enough to clear the step half the time. When she uses three risers for jumps I go down to two and that is still dangerous for me. But it is such a great workout for the core that I just concentrate extra hard on getting my feet to clear the board...lol.
nccjones, I just did the "trip and nearly face-planting thing" while doing RWH HCLB!!! My toes just barely grazed my step while trying to jump up onto it and I came down on my step with my shins and my hands landed on the other side. I was shocked! It was like my hips were frozen and I couldn't bring my legs up! I was more embarrassed than hurt :oops:. I must have been mentally tired or something? I took the hint and went down to one riser and was VERY careful about my moves. From now on I will ease into the jumping and not go into it hog-wild!

Oh yeah Nancy I have slipped before and fell before ! So this is y I am careful lol. I myself feel like I am doing it wrong. Like I think there is a way to jump on it like the one you jump up side ways over and side ways over again and then a few others I feel I am slamming onto it and there must be something I'm doing wrong. But I also know if I am tired or at the end of the workout and there are blast or jumps I hate that cause I know I have to modify. What I would love is if we can have all the jumps and blast in the middle of the workout or so and maybe the last 12 minutes of the workout be not as plyo or use the hard moves because that is like climbing a mountain and I know once I get to the mountains and get there it is hard to get there and maintain it but then once the hard stuff is gone I can make it and I feel very accomplished and more injury free and I don't know just mentally I would feel like I did really good. But right now if we do it at the end I feel like I am not doing to good lol.

I also think jumping up is scary and often use a lower step. But I have tripped too, usually when I am starting to get tired and don't pay attention to clearing my feet! I agree with Nancy, it definitely makes you more careful the next time you try. But it also makes me paranoid too, especially with the higher reps, faster paced jumps.

nccjones, I just did the "trip and nearly face-planting thing" while doing RWH HCLB!!! My toes just barely grazed my step while trying to jump up onto it and I came down on my step with my shins and my hands landed on the other side. I was shocked! It was like my hips were frozen and I couldn't bring my legs up! I was more embarrassed than hurt :oops:. I must have been mentally tired or something? I took the hint and went down to one riser and was VERY careful about my moves. From now on I will ease into the jumping and not go into it hog-wild!

Oh my goodness, I'm glad you're okay, Nanbo! That is the scariest feeling.

Jumping on and off is not something I even bother to try. I have an issue with jumping since childhood. I just don't have the right legs or knees for it. I do the jumps on the floor. One has to remember Cathe has really small feet, is not particularly tall, has years of advanced stsp training under her belt (didn't she start teaching at age 16?), and she has amazing leg strength. She does not have legs that hyperextend, poor ankle dorsiflexion, or low arches. All affect one's ability to jump and step high well. I have big feet and take up more room on my step than Cathe does, LOL.

I remember seeing Cedie stretch her calf in Stretch Max, the band routine, and her ankle dorsiflexion was astounding! Whether that is genetic luck or years of training, who knows. But that definitely helps with step and jumping.

OMG I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I haven't looked at the forums in awhile so failed to see this thread earlier. If the workout calls for jumping up on the step I don't use any risers. Call me a wimp or whatever, but I'm afraid of injuring jumping any higher. And I definitely don't jump up on it sideways.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.