Do your calves hurt during PLB stability ball section??

LuvCardio

Cathlete
Hi all. I did IMAX2 (1st 6 intervals) and PLB today. I noticed that during the 1st stability ball section I was feeling it in my calves. Does this happen to anyone else? Or am I doing something wrong?

I had a hard time keeping my mid-section off the ground without the ball flying to Mars.... so maybe that has something to do with it? I might just need a little practice?? (Obviously we know the answer to the practice issue is YES!!!)

I guess we all have a long way to go with some of these videos don't we! I particularly have a long way to go with the core sections. Now I know why my abs are so flabby. I obviously need to work them harder:)

RE: Do your calves hurt during PLB stability ball secti...

Hi Pammer! I too felt this the first time around! To alleviate the tension and prepare your calves for the upcoming work that they will be doing with the stability ball, do 3 sets of calf raises by positioning your toes differently for each set! Start by pointing toes (keeping heels slightly together)forward, then toes outward , then toes inward(facing each other)to work all areas of the calf and you'll have a better stretch HTH ;-)

The stability ball section was so challenging - at one point (I can't remember which part...it's all a blur now) my SHINS were hurting! I really had to use every muscle to do those things, I guess!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who was hurting in places other than the targetted muscle group!

Rhonda :7

When I teach classes with the stability ball, many participants tell me they feel the work in their shins trying to maintain balance. The shin (anterior tibialis muscle) works in ankle dorsiflexion (Flex your ankle so your toes point toward your knee, and you will feel the muscle contract.) So, if you are holding onto the ball for dear life with your feet in ankle dorsiflexion, your shins will get quite a workout!

The job of the calves is ankle plantarflexion (point your toes). If you are holding onto the ball for dear life with your toes pointing toward the ball, your calves will take the brunt of the exercise.

Don't give up! As the core muscles become stronger and more endurant, the shins and calves will play less of a role in stability.

-Roe

RE: Hey LuvCardio!

Francine & Roe - Thanks gals for the words of advice. I will try it a longer stretch prior and also the toe pointy thing. Obviously I need some practice. Can't get much worse.

Debbie - My ball is gray. I think your house is on the way to mars so you might well have seen it! :p hee hee

Rhonda - Glad to hear someone else feels my pain. We'll get there eventually!

RE: Me again!

My calves hurt also. I even skipped the calve raises but it didn't help. Guess I have a lot of work to do to strethen the core. If it gets too bad I will do one or two sets and then go put my feet on the step (like Brenda) and work it from there.

Rhonda

Calves

Hi Rhonda,

When the ankles are on the ball in dorsiflexion (toes pointed upward) the calf muscles are on stretch. So, if your calf muscles are tight, it might be difficult to keep the heels balanced on the ball in this position.

Taking extra time to stretch the calves after all of your workouts might help alleviate the tension you are feeling in this area.

To keep the ball more stable, rest it against the wall or your step and gradually start to move it away as you feel more confident with balance and form. This is how I ease my participants into using the ball for glute/hamstring work without any support.

Good luck! I am loving the stability ball work!

-Roe

RE: Calves

Debbie - Yes, I am Pammer. I just removed it from my signature. Don't know why but I got a little "weirded" out about having all the personal info online with all the freaks out there:) Guess I should just put it back since everyone knows anyway???

Anyway..... call me whatever you want! Pammer is great!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.