Do you tip?

We *only* tip wait staff and maids at hotels. And the wait staff only get a tip if we were happy with their service. I understand that they make less than minimum wage but that is an issue for our government to address. I don't feel it is my obligation to tip. I do it in appreciation for good service. My mom worked as a maid in a hotel to support us growing up so I have a special place in my heart for them. I know it's a job that I could not do.

>I don't really travel abroad, but isn't this more of an
>American custom?

I was in Germany last year and when you eat out, the tip (and tax) were included in the menu prices. That was the good thing about Germany/Europe. The price marked on an item was what you paid. Of course, we and the people we were travelling with put money on the table anyway. I guess out of habit.

Tracey
"Where there's a will, there's a way."

I do tip food servers, usually 20%, but less if the service is poor. What I HATE is people who expect a huge tip....my example is a driver who drove me and 2 of my employees from the airport to our hotel in Las Vegas (probably a 10 minute ride). The trip in the sedan cost $23. I only had 2 $20 bills, so I handed them to him and he was going to keep the whole thing! (essentially a $17 tip! for driving us 10 minutes). I asked for change and he got all snotty and rude. I gave him $3 just because he made me mad and because it was kind of an insulting amount! If he hadn't said anything, I probably would have given him more. People with that attitude don't deserve anything in my mind!

What I HATE is people who expect a huge tip....my
>example is a driver who drove me and 2 of my employees from
>the airport to our hotel in Las Vegas (probably a 10 minute
>ride). The trip in the sedan cost $23. I only had 2 $20
>bills, so I handed them to him and he was going to keep the
>whole thing! (essentially a $17 tip! for driving us 10
>minutes). I asked for change and he got all snotty and rude.
>I gave him $3 just because he made me mad and because it was
>kind of an insulting amount! If he hadn't said anything, I
>probably would have given him more. People with that attitude
>don't deserve anything in my mind!

I TOTALLY agree with you!!! To EXPECT an amount over and above "the norm" is absolutely ludicrous and rude! I don't blame you for leaving him so little! x( If I do not want change back I will say "keep the change". If I don't say that, I expect to get my change and then will then leave the appropriate tip with the cash that was returned to me.

I absolutely tip the wait staff. I've been there and know how hard a job it is and how little the actual paycheck can be.

As for baggage handlers... that's a pet peeve of mine. I'm perfectly capable of pulling my rolling luggage. When they literally grab your luggage from you, I get ticked. There will be no tip. Ask me and give me the option, please.

Diane

Wow, I can't imagine not tipping for services rendered.

I make it a point to tip well. Always.

If, for instance, my dinner tab is $100, I will leave at least $25 in tip.

Okay, folks, you asked for it! Waiters and bartenders expect a tip because that is how we get paid. We don't get a small paycheck, WE GET NO PAYCHECK. We get $2.08 an hour and after you claim your tips and pay taxes, there is NO PAYCHECK. How would you like to get no paycheck after being on your feet for an 8, 10 or 12 hour shift? You may not think it's a fair system to have to tip a server or bartender, but that is the way the system is set up. If you feel it is wrong, my advice to you is not to go to a restaurant or bar. If you don't believe in tipping a server, stay home and cook for yourself! Not tipping a server is like you going to work and not getting a paycheck!!!! Get it?

As far as poor service, let me say if the server is polite and trying, sometimes the mishaps are not their fault. Food cooked improperly is not the server's fault. It is the cook's fault. You should let management know. If the food takes too long, that again could be attributed to the kitchen getting slammed and backed up on the orders. There's really not much a server can do except keep checking back there for your food. Again a manager should be notified if the wait is excessive. I wouldn't blame the server for those kinds of situations and not tip.

However, for rude service or unattentive service, yes that is the server's fault and should be addressed. You could give a smaller tip and again let management know your displeasure with the rude service. However, make sure you know if the problem is really your server's fault or something in the kitchen beyond their control. A good server will keep checking on you and keep you posted on the delay. I myself usually call the manager over if the problem is out of my hands.

And lastly make sure you are polite if you expect politeness in return. I can't tell you how many people are rude and talk to me like I'm a dog. Just because I am serving you food or a drink doesn't mean I'm any less than you.

And yeah, if you don't tip, definitely don't go back to that restaurant again. That's a no brainer.

Wow! I do not believe anyone would even ask this question? That's all I have to say on this topic.

beth6395

"Another one that proves equipment is not necessary to get the job done" -Cathe Friedrich

>I do tip food servers, usually 20%, but less if the service
>is poor. What I HATE is people who expect a huge tip....my
>example is a driver who drove me and 2 of my employees from
>the airport to our hotel in Las Vegas (probably a 10 minute
>ride). The trip in the sedan cost $23. I only had 2 $20
>bills, so I handed them to him and he was going to keep the
>whole thing! (essentially a $17 tip! for driving us 10
>minutes). I asked for change and he got all snotty and rude.
>I gave him $3 just because he made me mad and because it was
>kind of an insulting amount! If he hadn't said anything, I
>probably would have given him more. People with that attitude
>don't deserve anything in my mind!

I tip when service is good, extra for outstanding service. If service is bad (rude, ignoring you after dumping the food in front of you, etc.), then the person providing it doesn't deserve a tip.
It was difficult for me to tip at first when I started eating in restaurants, because we never ate out when I was a kid, so we never tipped anyone (though my dad overtipped the paper boy all the time...even when the service sucked, which is why I don't believe bad service deserves a tip).

What I don't like is the assumption that people will be tipped...whatever their level of service. They should be paid a fair wage to begin with, and any tips they get added on as a show of appreciation for good service.

There was a letter to the editor in our school newspaper from some student who was a waitress, who ranted about people not tipping...understandable that she was frustrated about this in a college town...BUT she said that if you aren't willing to give a fair tip: at least 20%, but usualy 25%, then you shouldn't eat out.

25%? Is she crazy? Tips used to be 10-15%. And it seems to have gone up to 15-20%, but 25%? 1/4 of what you paid for your food? She better be giving a back rub with her service to expect that kind of tip.

>Okay, folks, you asked for it! Waiters and bartenders expect
>a tip because that is how we get paid. We don't get a small
>paycheck, WE GET NO PAYCHECK. We get $2.08 an hour and after
>you claim your tips and pay taxes, there is NO PAYCHECK. How
>would you like to get no paycheck after being on your feet for
>an 8, 10 or 12 hour shift? You may not think it's a fair
>system to have to tip a server or bartender, but that is the
>way the system is set up. If you feel it is wrong, my advice
>to you is not to go to a restaurant or bar. If you don't
>believe in tipping a server, stay home and cook for yourself!
>Not tipping a server is like you going to work and not getting
>a paycheck!!!! Get it?

I'm sorry but it is not the customer's responsibility to pay your paycheck and no one is forcing people to take these jobs. The tipping system was NOT set up as a way to compenasate waiters, bartenders, etc. It was designed as a way of showing gratitude(hence, gratuity) for a job well done.
>
>>
>And lastly make sure you are polite if you expect politeness
>in return. I can't tell you how many people are rude and talk
>to me like I'm a dog. Just because I am serving you food or a
>drink doesn't mean I'm any less than you.

I would totally agree with this. Unfortunately, often times I'm the one being treated rudely for no reason and having worked in retail for many years I can tell you that it is not a quid pro quo industry, ie. a customer MUST be polite for the employee to be polite.

I always tip well and tip even better if the service is very good. I could not imagine not giving tips at airports, taxis etc. The other day I had to use AAA, and even though you are really not supposed to tip, the guy was so fast and provided such a good service, that I tipped him. I always use the same gas station, and tip when the guy checks the oil level too. I can't stand when people are cheap. Mari

Sorry to disagree with you, Jennifer, but yes it is the customer's responsibility to pay my salary. That is the system. I don't get a paycheck and it is set up that way because tipping is expected. If you don't believe in that system, don't participate in it.

I am an excellent server and am always polite and attentive, and am still treated rudely by many people. I don't treat them that way in return, but it can be very trying not to respond in kind to that kind of treatment. If you encounter rudeness in restaurants or retail, management should be notified.

Sorry to disagree with you, Jennifer, but yes it is the customer's responsibility to pay my salary. That is the system. I don't get a paycheck and it is set up that way because tipping is expected. If you don't believe in that system, don't participate in it.

I am an excellent server and am always polite and attentive, and am still treated rudely by many people. I don't treat them that way in return, but it can be very trying not to respond in kind to that kind of treatment. If you encounter rudeness in restaurants or retail, management should be notified.

The way I see, if you don't feel the service is valuable enough to tip, why don't you stay home and service yourself. Otherwise, the service must mean something to you.

Carrie

Waterlily - I almost didn't even waste my breath responding to such a stupid question but I couldn't help myself. I waited tables and bartended for about 10 years while in high school & college and now my younger sister is a waitress & bartender for Outback. The tips are what allow the workers to pay their bills. If you don't want to tip somebody for providing you a service, then go home & provide the service for yourself. You can take your butt to the grocery store, take the food home, prep & clean it, cook it, then serve it to yourself! It is beyond me why anyone would think not tipping is okay. I even tip when the service is not so good but not the normal 20-30% I tip when the service is excellent.

People like you shouldn't be allowed to go out to eat. If you don't want to have to tip as I said either make your own food or drive through McDonalds.

>Sorry to disagree with you, Jennifer, but yes it is the
>customer's responsibility to pay my salary. That is the
>system. I don't get a paycheck and it is set up that way
>because tipping is expected. If you don't believe in that
>system, don't participate in it.
>
>I am an excellent server and am always polite and attentive,
>and am still treated rudely by many people. I don't treat
>them that way in return, but it can be very trying not to
>respond in kind to that kind of treatment. If you encounter
>rudeness in restaurants or retail, management should be
>notified.

I really don't want to get into a whole thing here since I already stated that I ALWAYS tip, even counter people at my carry-out places. But I just don't see how you can think it is the customer's RESPONSIBILITY to tip you. If the customer were responsible for this it would be added to the check to begin with and NOT left to the customer's discretion. If it was truly the SYSTEM then customers would not have a CHOICE in the matter. Again..tippping is a gratuity--to show thanks--it is not to compensate someone for doing their job. It is to show someone that you appreciate that they did their job well. Essentially, what your saying is that someone could do a horrible job--picture the worst scenario you want--and the customer would still be RESPONSIBLE for giving that person money ON TOP of paying their check(which is the payment for the food, etc. that was provided)? Besides speaking with management(which I know often times goes nowhere)to me that is like telling that person that their horrible behavior was okay and, in fact, I should reward it.

Having said that, I have NEVER NOT tipped someone. I just really don't beleive that it is my RESPONSIBLITY. JMO

I don't know if the States is the same but in Canada servers are paid LESS than minimum wage!!!:eek: It is a tipping industry, plain and simple. I would feel horrible walking away from a restaurant without tipping knowing full well that I had exploited a hard working person who, without a tip, would certainly be considered 'working poor'. If the service is really crummy, there will be no tip and I'll be having a word with management (this rarely happens).

I work at a spa where the estheticians are paid a measly wage and rely on tips, for a client to walk away from a stellar treatment and neglect to tip the esthetician is tacky and reflects solely on the client.

Take Care
Laurie

I usually tip too much myself, BUT...I do not feel that I have to tip. I'm sorry, but it is NOT my responsibility to pay someone else's pay check. I didn't force the individual into that job that was the individuals decision.

I kick butt at my job and I provide service to a wide range of people...I also get paid very well, if I didn't I would find other work, not expect someone else to feel obligated to help with my pay.

yes, I do tip except for the owners of the business. From my experience, when I tip well, the person remembers me and goes the extra step to make sure I'm taken care of For pizza delivery, I live on an steep driveway that is hard to drive up or down then you add weather like snow, leaves, or rain that make it more complicated so I tip them without question. Christmas Day, I went to Denny's cause my family was not together for the Holidays due to my Dad at Mayo. I got great quick service from the server and I felt she deserved more for being there away from her family to take care of me, she got about 50% tip that day (unsually high for me).
A little generosity goes a long way....

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.