Do you tip?

I don't buy the argument that you should tip because servers make less than minimum wage. It isn't my responsibility to make up their salary. I am not overpaid, no one feels the necessity of making that up to me!

With that said - I do believe a tip is in order for personal service. Anytime someone performs a service for me that is personal, I believe a tip is in order. I also tip according to service. If I don't get good service, I tip less. Plain and simple. The tip is a reward for good personal service, not a salary.

Just in case anyone is interested in what the law says on this matter:

http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/hrg.htm

Tipped Employees
Tipped employees are those who customarily and regularly receive more than $30 a month in tips. The employer may consider tips as part of wages, but the employer must pay at least $2.13 an hour in direct wages.

The employer who elects to use the tip credit provision must inform the employee in advance and must be able to show that the employee receives at least the minimum wage when direct wages and the tip credit allowance are combined. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. Also, employees must retain all of their tips, except to the extent that they participate in a valid tip pooling or sharing arrangement.

So in reality...tips are part of their wage/salary.

> "If an
>employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of
>at least $2.13 an hour DO NOT EQUAL the minimum hourly wage,
>the EMPLOYER MUST make up the difference."

It is really interesting, it is the EMPLOYER's responsibility to make sure their EMPLOYEES at least get minimum wage and therefore if they don't get tipped, they still won't leave empty handed as some posters have stated. A lot of people work for minimum wage.

Also as others have stated, the tips overall are good and at the end of days work, it is worth it. I believe that that great tips, good tips, bad tips and no tips, in the end balances it self out.

I don't believe that if you don't get a tip you should be taking revenge on the customer the next time you see them either.. I think that is down right disgusting as there is NO LAW stating that you HAVE TO TIP.. It is the Customer choice.. But it is illegal to do something to a customer’s food, just because you did not receive a tip the last time. Because of your judgment and bad decision, you may be out of a good tip this time.. maybe the customer remembered and was going to make it up to you this time and give you double..

>
>And of course if you feel tipping isn't expected and if you
>still feel you should freely go to restaurants and not tip, I
>strongly urge you not to go to the same restaurant again.
>Servers and bartenders have loooooooong memories for that sort
>of thing.

this comment is repeated numerous times in this thread.....(not to return to the restaurant if you don't tip) so what?????? if someone doesn't tip.... you do something childish like spit in their food? or do they just get bad service?

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

http://www.picturetrail.com/desertbriez

Funny, I was about to grab the same quote:

"If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference."

So, then, it is NOT my responsibility to pay a person's wage by tipping. I'm actually doing the EMPLOYER a favor, not the server, since whatever I tip reduces what he/she will have to make up. I used to waitress/hostess, so it's not like I don't understand how hard the job is, and it's not like I wouldn't tip for decent service. I don't believe it's something I owe simply because I chose to eat out, though. I travel with work, so there's not always a choice about cooking at home, but I DO have a choice in if/how much I tip, and my tip is a direct reflection on how the service was rendered.

And as far as not going to the same restaurant twice, if the waitress couldn't even remember my drink order for 10 minutes, how big a chance is there that she'd remember ME from one visit to another?! :) I don't like to be bullied into giving money - I have many more deserving charities that I could donate to!

Keep in mind that most people in various service industries (waiters, porters, valet, etc) make BELOW minimum wage, sometimes significantly. Tips are a large chunk of what they make. I can't even imagine NOT tipping. After all, if you don't want to pay someone a few extra bucks to bring you your food, carry your bags, or park your car, you always have the option of doing those things yourself.

cristina

>Also bear in mind many people who work in the service
>industry don't necessarily do it by choice. I waitressed
>during college to pay my way thru school. I also drove a
>beverage cart on a golf course (not complaining here--it was
>one of the funnest jobs I ever had!) over the summer so I
>COULD pay expenses during school.
>
>So please don't assume people are waitressing or whatever by
>choice.
>
>

Unless someone forces you to take a certain job, the job is considered at will. A lot of people take lower paying jobs due to the time they have available in their schedules, their work experience and any number of other reason, but the jobs are at will. So there is a choice.

I usually tip too much because I appreciate kindness. So many people are just rude and selfish and act like the world revolves around them, that when someone is polite and kind, I'll tip very well. One time I tipped $5 for a cup of coffee.

If someone is rude or acts like I am just getting on their last good nerve by being at their table (I'm not talking about super busy people) then I have no problem not leaving a tip.

I don't think people should be made to feel like they should give a tip though.

Stand by for a brief intermission...

Bill, I gotta say, I love your avatar...

OK now back to the show....:p

Carrie

Well, waterlilly, I think you've accomplished what you set out to do...Congratuations!!!

You got what you asked for, "Opinions", plain and simple, nothing more, nothing less...

Carrie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.