Do you have a maid?

It can be really helpful and they don't have to be there when you aren't. You could be practicing piano, writing a novel, sending emails, conducting international business on Skype, writing checks, doing your tax returns, knitting a sweater, or doing a weight workout. Just about anything would do. They are wonderful for things like windows, bathrooms, and floors. We just hired someone to do the yard work and they did what would take me months in just three days. We have six acres of weeds and oak trees. Its very rural and rough terrain out here. It only cost about 2,000 dollars for 3-4 guys and they are chipping some fallen trees. My point is that sometimes hiring someone is worth the money.

We hire a service to do a full deep-clean about every three months. When I worked full-time, we had a regular housekeeper come every other week, but now I work part-time and I don't mind doing more housework as a trade-off, plus we have a tween and a teen who pitch in with chores.

If what is worrying you is the idea of a stranger being in your house (safety of your stuff, touching your things, etc.) this is something you just get used to, and it ceases to become a big deal. Believe me, you can learn to look forward to the cleaning person! It also helps a lot to either hire a bonded service, or hire an individual who comes highly recommended by friends/family.

Thanks everyone! I told my husband tonight that I was now actually leaning towards getting a housekeeper, and his jaw literally dropped. He's been saying for years that when we had the money, he wanted to get one, and I've always said no way. Well,we've been very fortunate lately (working our butts off!) and can swing it, and I'll just have to get someone I trust.

I'm thinking 2 times a month would be fine, and have them focus of the big stuff like windows, floors, baseboards, things like that. I hate clutter so I can always stay on top of that....it's the furballs and dust-bunnies that do me in!

I WISH I had someone to clean my house. Like someone else said -- There would be more time to do other things. If I had a maid I know my house would be REALLY clean because I'd be cleaning before the maid came!:eek:

Good Luck!

This is exactly what my sister thinks too, Pam, and it makes sense! It's like when a teacher works with a TA, it forces the teacher to be even more organized with her/his planning so that the TA can work most effectively in the classroom when the kids come in :) My sister (who's now the mother of 2 girls both under 3 years) also thinks the best helpers she's had were women who themselves had raised children. She found they were the ones who naturally had an eye for neatness/cleanliness and tended to often go the extra mile when cleaning up her household rather than always thinking about the fact they only signed up for x-hrs, at x-dollars per hr. It can be tedious going through trial and error to find a gem of a house-helper, but so worth it when you do!

... It does two things- first it forces me to get all of the clutter put away and secondly it is soooo much easier to stay on top of the general cleaning after they've done a thorough cleaning. It also is a sanity saver!! :eek::D

Good luck!
Pam

I feel that housecleaning should ONLY be done for money - and unfortunately, my house reflects that philosophy! I'd do it in a heartbeat, if I could afford it. No matter how bad a job they do, it has to be better than what I do - or more to the point, don't do.

Morningstar - You and I have the same philosophy! LOL! I hate, HATE housework! I only get 2 days off per week and I refuse to spend one of those days cleaning! I do a little bit when I have to, but my house is a cleaning disaster! I'd rather be out having fun, than cleaning and that's what I do. If I have company coming, then I do a good cleaning! :eek:

I feel that housecleaning should ONLY be done for money - and unfortunately, my house reflects that philosophy! I'd do it in a heartbeat, if I could afford it. No matter how bad a job they do, it has to be better than what I do - or more to the point, don't do.

I WISH I had someone to clean my house. Like someone else said -- There would be more time to do other things. If I had a maid I know my house would be REALLY clean because I'd be cleaning before the maid came!:eek:

Good Luck!
Same here!

If you can afford it, I think hiring someone to clean your house is a great thing, as it give you more time to do what you want, and it also helps spread the money around by hiring someone.

I don't have a housecleaner (see above!), but a couple of years ago, I finally decided to hire a yard guy. The first one didn't work out (among other annoyances, he complained about the rocks bordering my flower areas being a hazard for his mower, and when I suggested he do the trimming before the mowing, he just said "I don't do that"). The guy I have now is great, and I think he'd probably find a way to do whatever I asked him to do.

I agree completely!

I HATE cleaning with a passion. (ANd one reason why I haven't gotten a housecleaner yet...besides privacy issues...is that my house is too much of a mess for them to clean!! Not "dirtiest house in America" bad, though!)

My housekeeper is through a service, but I've had the same woman for years. What's great about having a service is that I'm not responsible for taxes, I don't have to think about raises, etc. Theoretically, if she couldn't make it, the service would send someone else. But in all these years, she's never once missed a day of work! :eek: Even after major surgery, she came with her cousin and told her what to do. She does a great job cleaning, and she'll do little extras, like re-organizing the refrigerator or the cabinets.

Having said that, for some reason I cannot stand to be in the house when she's there, and she comes soooo early. I have to get up at the crack of dawn to be out before she arrives. I dread her visits. Not her fault, but I get anxious days in advance of her coming. I am a total nut job.

Good for you GGirl! Regarding your concern that the housekeeper might take something: what's to take? Even a dishonest housekeeper (I had one once) will take only small, fungible items. Don't leave any cash or precious jewels lying around. When I have any borderline "recreational" prescriptions in the house, I just take them with me to work.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.