Do you ever just get fed up . . .

Aquajock

Cathlete
. . . with the relentless, streaming, generalized broad-spectrum bullshit of the universe?

If it's not the razor-nick that won't stop bleeding when you're in a hurry in the morning, it's the can opener you just bought that won't work. If it's not the overloud music in the store right when you're REALLY NOT IN THE MOOD, it's the guy who stands in the elevator doorway talking to someone in the hall while 10 people are in the elevator car. If it's not the woman who sat in your seat on the bus (!), it's the gas tank that somehow got to the red zone a day after you went to the gas station.

(This must be my Festivus Airing of Grievances three days late.)

I went to a belated Hanukkah party yesterday afternoon and was scheduled to help make latkes (kind of like glorified hash browns) before the rest of the guests arrived, despite the fact that I really suck at preparing food. One of the others on Team Latke (of which I've been a member for years, a fact which mystifies me) absolutely would not leave me alone - either the onion shards weren't shardy enough or I didn't squeeze enough juice out of the shredded potatoes or I was wasting too much time cleaning up or there was another too-large chunk of onion or . . . finally I blew my top and said, "MAYBE I JUST SHOULDN'T BE HERE!!!!!" That shut her up, not to mention the rest of the kitchen. We got past it, but I'm still just seeing the flyspecks and dog-doo of life.

I can't blame it on PMS because I think I'm in menopause. I just think that, every now and then, I feel like having a productive life entails going around being bitten to death by ducks 7 days a week, and I just want to crawl into my cave and pull the blanket over my head and hide.

Anyone else ever get in that zone?

Thanks for listening!

A-Jock

Yep, I hear ya! I've been in that zone for weeks now...and I totally feel your pain. My friend and I were just discussing this same thing a couple days ago. How is it that some people can fall into a pile of crap and come out covered in gold, when others can fall into a pile of rose petals and get up with thorns in their a$$????

A couple months ago I got some random email with different pictures of strange people, and one woman had a t-shirt on that said "I hate everybody". I cracked up because I have days where everyone gets on my last nerve and I do, in fact, hate everybody!:)

That picky Team Latke woman should have gotten some ill-chopped onions shoved up her nostrils.... I can't stand people who always find fault with what others are doing. Sigh.

I think it is a combination of menopause and the fact that life just sometimes sucks big time! Just keep up those fabulous workouts that you do, and you'll at least be able to fight those ducks off!!!!!!!!!:)

Take care!

Yep, I hear ya! I've been in that zone for weeks now...and I totally feel your pain. My friend and I were just discussing this same thing a couple days ago. How is it that some people can fall into a pile of crap and come out covered in gold, when others can fall into a pile of rose petals and get up with thorns in their a$$????

A couple months ago I got some random email with different pictures of strange people, and one woman had a t-shirt on that said "I hate everybody". I cracked up because I have days where everyone gets on my last nerve and I do, in fact, hate everybody!:)

That picky Team Latke woman should have gotten some ill-chopped onions shoved up her nostrils.... I can't stand people who always find fault with what others are doing. Sigh.

I think it is a combination of menopause and the fact that life just sometimes sucks big time! Just keep up those fabulous workouts that you do, and you'll at least be able to fight those ducks off!!!!!!!!!:)

Take care!

Thanks, honey. I think Latke Woman feels bad about it too; she did sidle up to me and apologized by saying, "(DH) says I'm always too bossy. Was I too bossy? (DH) says I'm always too bossy."

"How is it that some people can fall into a pile of crap and come out covered in gold, when others can fall into a pile of rose petals and get up with thorns in their a$$????" - Case, you must realize I'm going to steal this and put it on my FB status tomorrow.

Thank God for Cathe Friedrich. If it weren't for her workout this a.m., I'd be prostrate with pissiness.

A-Jock

*has been in the cave with the blanket over her head for months now...went in further since thanksgiving...is trying to find the flashlight she hid in the cave somewhere to help find her way out*

;)

(i may relate a little too much :p)

Last edited:
My life since early 2008 has been nothing but relentless, streaming, generalized broad-spectrum bullshit coming from the universe. Between being in a car accident that totaled my car, to being so sick I couldn't leave my couch for 3 months and still not recovering to this day, to suffering such severe anxiety that I haven't slept in 3 years, to getting severe acne scarring bad enough that leaving my house REQUIRES at least one person to tell me how ugly I am, to family deaths, pet deaths, not being able to find a job or pay my bills... that's all life is about these days. Yup. I hear you. If only I could exercise regularly....

But, it's Christmas. So, we're required to pretend we're happy. So :D

My life since early 2008 has been nothing but relentless, streaming, generalized broad-spectrum bullshit coming from the universe. Between being in a car accident that totaled my car, to being so sick I couldn't leave my couch for 3 months and still not recovering to this day, to suffering such severe anxiety that I haven't slept in 3 years, to getting severe acne scarring bad enough that leaving my house REQUIRES at least one person to tell me how ugly I am, to family deaths, pet deaths, not being able to find a job or pay my bills... that's all life is about these days. Yup. I hear you. If only I could exercise regularly....

But, it's Christmas. So, we're required to pretend we're happy. So :D

Oh, bitch, bitch, bitch! How could you POSSIBLY compare your car accident etc. etc. to my latke meltdown?!

All kidding aside, Fidget Queen, yours sounds like a heavy load. I'm glad you're still here, at least, and hope that someday soon you CAN exercise regularly, to strengthen up.

Love,

A-Jock

Hey Aquajock,

It totally sounds like I was diminishing your frustration. I sound like a jerk. That wasn't my intention at all. I was in a bad mood and thought, Oh yeah! I know how she feels!! Your story was actually funny, but I got all riled up there with you. So, um... how did the Latkes turn out?? :p

Hey Aquajock,

It totally sounds like I was diminishing your frustration. I sound like a jerk. That wasn't my intention at all. I was in a bad mood and thought, Oh yeah! I know how she feels!! Your story was actually funny, but I got all riled up there with you. So, um... how did the Latkes turn out?? :p

Fidgets, I'M the one who owes YOU an apology! You did NOT sound like a jerk, I did. I made overly light of your situation in a hamhanded attempt to diss myself for bitching about my own trivial things, and I failed. I'm very sorry.

I was totally unaware of your travails over the past couple of years. I'm very sorry that you have been walloped by so much in such a relatively short period of time.

If I may say (given my own family losses this year, as well as the losses of friends both here and "IRL") . . .

2010 can kiss my ass.

Again, apologies, Fidgets. Am doing my Good Vibes Dance that things totally turn around for you in 2011.

Love,

A-JOck

I'm totally using this whole thread!! The timing is impeccable. There are about three things I want to put on my wall! And I for one like large onion shards in my latkes!! La'chiem!

2010 can kiss my ass.

YES!!! THAT! Exactly.

And no need for apologies. Not a one. I was trying commiserate with you and kind of ended up seeming to compete with you. That's not what it was about. And even considering how much crap I've gone through, it would probably shock people to know what supposedly "trivial" things REALLY ruin my day. I was going to share about the two different women at the grocery store who hit me with their carts (one in the parking lot AT MY CAR and one in the store) and looked at ME like I was in their way. One even continued to shove her way between me and a display case all the while harrumphing. Then I just got so annoyed and angry that I attacked my whole life instead :eek:. Your comment about the universe just got me going, because it seems SO true sometimes. I know you've gone through hell the last year, as well, so complain about the Latkes all you want! It's not trivial. It's infuriating. But your story was funny for our pleasure :p. Your quotes are priceless.

Much love from me, as well!

maybe the universe could keep itself to itself

Ever try Ashwagandha? its an ayruvedic herb for stress response. I don't know if that would help the universe to just back off already.

But, that said I completely hear you. Yesterday I was taking care of my elderly father who is on steroids for his arthritis. I fed him breakfast and lunch before I left the house. He tells me he is feeling better, it would be ok for me to go shopping. I go to Kaiser to return the brand new never been opened blood pressure cuff which he can't use because he must have a wrist cuff (he had cancer in his arm and has a great long scar that is sensitive.) They won't take it back because Kaiser has a policy about accepting durable goods as a return, in other words they can't do it:(. So, the guy who waits on me went to college with me, he of course doesn't recognize me so I don't say a darn thing. But, seriously? The guy who was an idiot has a paying gig and I'm 4,000 dollars away from homeless?:(Then I stop at Ross to buy some new shoes on sale. Thats fine.

Until my mother calls me on the phone. Apparently my father has called her telling her that I didn't feed him lunch and that he needs to take his pills. He completely forgot that I had fed him lunch. Luckily, my mother is a very nice and calm person and she knows that my Dad forgets sometimes (sadly its not alzheimers its a result of a childhood brain injury.)

So, I bought my shoes and I stop at Trader Joe's. And everything that I want to eat I'm not supposed to eat. I leave the bacon, the ham and cheeses. I leave all those crunchy nummy things in bags. I leave the rows and rows of holiday snacks. I leave the ice creams where they are, the puff pastry is still in its freezer case. Its not easy eating clean.

I get home. I find the mess my Dad has left in the kitchen, yogurts just sitting out. I put away all the groceries. My grown older brother (the one with the PTSD and extreme intelligence who can't take care of himself.) is in the shower. Thats fine. But of course I don't get any help. He just sits there in his towel, like a lump on a log.

Then, I go upstairs and I say, "Dad, I understand that Mother thinks you haven't had any breakfast?" He says, "no, I said I didn't have any lunch." I say, "Dad what about the 3 eggs, yogurt and muffins you had for breakfast? What about the homemade soup and toast with honey for lunch?" "Oh! It was good soup." :rolleyes: Man, what a day I had.

Then, while I'm putting away my clean laundry in my room I hurt myself bending my fingers in a completely unnatural direction.

I completely commiserate. I'm so sorry you had a tough day. I hope tomorrow is a lot better.

Oh, bitch, bitch, bitch! How could you POSSIBLY compare your car accident etc. etc. to my latke meltdown?!

Annette: A very good friend of mine (who is also on the menopause highway with me) recently told me "Any woman over the age of 45 has a right to be a bitch whenever she darn well pleases- after a lifetime of taking care of others and being politically correct, it is time to stand up and speak whatever the h#ll is on your mind!"

I believe those words to be the most profound I have heard since my hormones decided to leave me.

Happy Holidays!!

Ever try Ashwagandha? its an ayruvedic herb for stress response. I don't know if that would help the universe to just back off already.

But, that said I completely hear you. Yesterday I was taking care of my elderly father who is on steroids for his arthritis. I fed him breakfast and lunch before I left the house. He tells me he is feeling better, it would be ok for me to go shopping. I go to Kaiser to return the brand new never been opened blood pressure cuff which he can't use because he must have a wrist cuff (he had cancer in his arm and has a great long scar that is sensitive.) They won't take it back because Kaiser has a policy about accepting durable goods as a return, in other words they can't do it:(. So, the guy who waits on me went to college with me, he of course doesn't recognize me so I don't say a darn thing. But, seriously? The guy who was an idiot has a paying gig and I'm 4,000 dollars away from homeless?:(Then I stop at Ross to buy some new shoes on sale. Thats fine.

Until my mother calls me on the phone. Apparently my father has called her telling her that I didn't feed him lunch and that he needs to take his pills. He completely forgot that I had fed him lunch. Luckily, my mother is a very nice and calm person and she knows that my Dad forgets sometimes (sadly its not alzheimers its a result of a childhood brain injury.)

So, I bought my shoes and I stop at Trader Joe's. And everything that I want to eat I'm not supposed to eat. I leave the bacon, the ham and cheeses. I leave all those crunchy nummy things in bags. I leave the rows and rows of holiday snacks. I leave the ice creams where they are, the puff pastry is still in its freezer case. Its not easy eating clean.

I get home. I find the mess my Dad has left in the kitchen, yogurts just sitting out. I put away all the groceries. My grown older brother (the one with the PTSD and extreme intelligence who can't take care of himself.) is in the shower. Thats fine. But of course I don't get any help. He just sits there in his towel, like a lump on a log.

Then, I go upstairs and I say, "Dad, I understand that Mother thinks you haven't had any breakfast?" He says, "no, I said I didn't have any lunch." I say, "Dad what about the 3 eggs, yogurt and muffins you had for breakfast? What about the homemade soup and toast with honey for lunch?" "Oh! It was good soup." :rolleyes: Man, what a day I had.

Then, while I'm putting away my clean laundry in my room I hurt myself bending my fingers in a completely unnatural direction.

I completely commiserate. I'm so sorry you had a tough day. I hope tomorrow is a lot better.

It's Stick-In-The-Eye time for you, RapidBreath. What a bullshit day. Makes me grateful for the latkes.

Brenda / Serene43, I hear ya! However, I come from the Portugese, a race that has short tempers and long knives, and it's a constant struggle NOT to explode just on general principle. I like being able to unload all the crap here in the quiet realm of the Forums, where people can scroll past the thread if they don't wish to be subjected to my pissiness. You should have seen me last night when I was trying to peel an recalcitrant hard-boiled egg. Pitched the egg against the wall like Joe Mauer on the mound, slammed the cabinet door, bit my knuckle.

Just don't ask me to shred any potatoes . . .

A-Jock

How is it that some people can fall into a pile of crap and come out covered in gold, when others can fall into a pile of rose petals and get up with thorns in their a$$????

Haha, I agree...this one's a keeper!

Sorry for those having a rough go at the moment. Definitely have had my share of moments when I've got nothin' but thorn. Perhaps a little levity via this Seinfeld montage would help? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5513mXmQbw4&feature=related

Serenity now! (Insanity later!) :p

Love.you.ALL!

"short tempers and long knives" I love this.

I too have been having a crappy 2010 despite appearances. I am so grateful to you for posting this thread and for the responses.

Nice to feel I'm not alone.

Back in the day there was a place called the Hidey Hole. There was good eatin' and snacks served by delectable men, or quiet and a book, or just a place to nap undisturbed. I'd like to bring that back....

Annette - My grandmother (still kicking a** and taking names at 98) tells the funniest story about my Uncle's monkey (not kidding) who systematically took one bite out of each latke she had made for some occasion...and threw the remainder on the floor.

Oh, she hated that monkey.

"short tempers and long knives" I love this.

I too have been having a crappy 2010 despite appearances. I am so grateful to you for posting this thread and for the responses.

Nice to feel I'm not alone.

Back in the day there was a place called the Hidey Hole. There was good eatin' and snacks served by delectable men, or quiet and a book, or just a place to nap undisturbed. I'd like to bring that back....

Annette - My grandmother (still kicking a** and taking names at 98) tells the funniest story about my Uncle's monkey (not kidding) who systematically took one bite out of each latke she had made for some occasion...and threw the remainder on the floor.

Oh, she hated that monkey.

I would have been guilty of monkey-ucide.

Sorry to see so many people had a bad 2010, the year pretty much blew chunks for me too. I too will be glad to see it go. Hang in there though, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.