Do I Really NEED Power Hour?

Kimba

Cathlete
Ok guys, be honest with me!

I have the CTX series, MIS, the Wedding video (soon!) and Body Max, so do I really need Power Hour? Nothing gives me results like cathe's strength tapes. If I wasn't so frightened of them and used them as regularly as the Firm I'd be a bad mama jama!

PowerHour is the most "Firm like" of Cathe's workouts IMO. It moves fast w/ lighter weights compared to her other strength workouts. So if you're a Firm addict, excuse me - Firm Believer, you will probably love PH.

Two big differences, you will work a muscle group to exhaustion except for the leg/glute work which is separated into 2 sections. Cathe's ab work is always intense & effective, but PH's ab/plank work is intense but short. It's one I cue up all the time. (not to start a flamewar but the firm's ab work can be a little weird from someone who bought Vol II in the '80's).

Oh, a third difference: Cathe incorporated a lot of stabilization work into the PH & Slow & Heavy workouts. It's awesome stuff for core strength. I haven't seen this in any other non-Pilates workouts.

Debra

RE: Of course you do!

Oh what the heck Kimba, buy the PS series too! This way you get a free video and free shipping! I'll stop spending your money now. Post once you've done PH - I'll be curious to hear if you like it as much as I think you will. Have fun!

Kimba-
Stop! I don't think you need it. I just got it and tried it. Admittedly, it was on a day when I shouldn't have been trying anything because my PMS was out of control. But if you have MIS, I don't think you need it. MIS offers plenty of endurance training. So, if you want PH, get it. But need it? Not!
-Nancy

I thought for a year, I don't need power hour, what's the point? Then I got it and used it all last summer, and wow! It hardened up and compacted all the muscle I'd been building with pure strength and slow and heavy.

Here's my 1st grade understanding of something Meredith explained on the boards. You have fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibers. By using both endurance and heavy weight workouts, you make sure ALL of your fibers are being stimulated to grow, grow, grow. And if you're someone who has more slow twitch fibers, you may actually see more muscle growth from an endurance workout.

That was news to me.

Also, the posture development from this workout is amazing.

Millie

Power Hour provides an unequaled endurance workout! It is a must in everyones video collection!

I put in in every other rotation that I put together.

Judy
Live by the golden rule: treat others as yourself :)

RE: Hi Debbie

Thanks and I am warm when I am in my house working out. :)

We had some unseasonally warm weather last week but we are back in a cold snap right now.

Take care.

Kim

Of course you don't need it, it's a real drag, boring in a word.

NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT

Briee

(What a question!!)

I agree totally with nancy on this one. I actually find PH and MIS to be very similar, both more endurance than strength.

Clare

I know you've already received enough replies (and I see you're already going to get it), but I thought I'd add my .02 in.

This is JHMO, but Power Hour is probably THE toughest strength workout I've ever done. It's actually painful - no doubt it produces results (if I could ever do it more than 1x a week, that is, I bet it would!), but I just can't get myself to bring it out to actually DO IT.

So for results - anything that produces that much apprehension and pain must produce some amazing muscle changes, but it's just *too* much for me. I haven't done it in months though, so maybe I should try it again?

Just my experience. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.