Do I need a barbell set?

KC5689

Cathlete
I have a few of Cathe's weight videos (PUB, PLB, ME, PP, and SS) and am planning to order more (MM, GS series, and S&H). I've managed to do my workouts w/out a barbell but some of the back exercises I wonder if I'm getting the same results as I would if I were using a barbell. And, these new worouts that I want, I noticed the barbell is used more often. How many of you too use only dumbells for her workouts and is it necessary to get a barbell. I actually want a barbell but we live in an apartment and I already have more equipment than my husband would like. Maybe I can somehow convince him.

In some of the videos, Cathe tells you if you can use dumbells instead of barbells...

I decided to get myself one, but I didn't one to buy the ones that look like Cathe has..

My husband bought me a junior barbell set at Sears that works wonderful. Its a silver color bar and it has 25 lbs on it. You can add more to it. The bar is shorter than the one Cathe uses and its just perfect for me.

I found I didn't like the barbell set I bought a couple of weeks ago. I returned it and ordered these wonderful weighted bars from fwonline.com I got various Challenge Pro weighted bars. They are padded and feel really good to use.

They also carry the Body Bars in a heavier weight, however those are more expensive and the shipping on those is even more.

I just double up the weight with my Challenge Pro bars to whatever I need. It is working well so far. These store easily and don't make noise either. The padding on them is friendly to hands and shoulders. I really, really like them. :)

Sandra

The ones I bought that was recommmended to me by SNM was from Walmart.com, $19.95 plus s&h just like they used in some of her DVDs also I use a weighted body bar with a cushion.The new barbells are great!!

>My husband bought me a junior barbell set at Sears that works
>wonderful. Its a silver color bar and it has 25 lbs on it.
>You can add more to it. The bar is shorter than the one Cathe
>uses and its just perfect for me.

I see that on the Sears website. It it currently 19.99 and can be picked up at the store. What kind of collars does it have? Thanks.

I got my barbell at Sports Authority, 50# set, just black for $49.99, and I use my bar for older workouts that call for the weighted bar.

I stand mine up behind a door you can slide the plates under the couch.

Sorry no help for strictly using hand weights.

beth6395

I have a serious storage problem at my house, so I only use dumb bells. It works for me. The hardest part was balancing 20lb weights on my shoulders for squats, but I have mastered that now!

Can someone please help me find the barbell for $19.95 on walmart.com. I'm not able to find it. Thanks

I have the barbell that I got from the FIRM several years ago. However, I actually prefer to use dumbells. I only use the barbell for squats. I think the firm barbell is a little less than 30 lbs. I can't remember exactly. I don' t care to lift a really heavy barbell over my head to shoulder.

I only use handweights , but I don't use weights anywhere near what Cathe uses. I have no trouble putting them on my shoulders.

I don't think it's any less effective to use dumbbells instead of the barbell. There used to be a beginner barbell set at Amazon that cost around $25 including shipping. If space is an issue I'd say not to worry about using dumbbells instead.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.