Do I Have To Stop At 60 Years Old?

D

donna

I am 54 going on 55. Whenever I do a Cathe tape, I notice that during the heart rate check the top age is 60. Does this mean I have to stop excercising at 60?

The phrase "Not My Grandmothers 55 years old" would apply here. Shouldn't SNM modify that top age? I think maybe 60-80 should be added. I'm proud to say I'm always at 25 bpm when we reach the check. Common...humor me. Add the next age range.

Of course, this post is meant with humor (or is it?)

Donna

I intend to keep on goin' at 60 (in 9 years)! Maybe step with a four inch step, but certainly Taebo! Remember the 75 year old chick in the commercials? Yes indeed! Modify those charts!

My guess is that most charts cut off at 60 because the idea is for you to establish target zones and heart rate with your doctor. That way it's tailored to you own level of fitness at an age when most people are sorely lacking. Certainly no doctor worth their salt will tell a healthy person to stop working out at 60. You might need to adjust some things to accomodate new targets, but I intend to be one of those crazy women jogging on a beach when I'm 80.

Good question, though, about the charts. They also start with a certain age and I think they just feel its safer to let consumers above or beyond a certain age establish targets with their doctor.

Donna - to heck with the chart! Calculate your own target HR:

First, learn your true resting heart rate (1-minute count); then

(minus your age)
(minus your resting heart rate)
EQUALS "WHATEVER"

Multiply "WHATEVER" X 65%
Add your resting heart rate:

EQUALS LOWER END OF YOUR AEROBIC TRAINING ZONE, 1-minute count

Multiply "WHATEVER" X 85%
Add your resting heart rate:

EQUALS HIGHER END OF YOUR AEROBIC TRAINING ZONE, 1-minute count

Divide your lower end figure by 10; this gives you your bottom target heart rate for a 6-second count

Divide your higher end figure by 10; this gives you your top target heart rate for a 6-second count

CLEAR THESE RANGES WITH YOUR DOCTOR
PAY ATTENTION TO ANY MEDICATIONS THAT MIGHT BLUNT YOUR HEART RATE RESPONSE

This is the Karvonen formula for determining THR

Go wild

Annette

Donna, I'm 56 and see no end in sight (well, except for the one we all face eventually). When I started a regular exercise program at 37 I guess I thought I wouldn't be able to do it forever, but I'm still making progress.

I've always gotten a bit miffed at the cut off year on the charts. If I remember right, some of them even stop at 55. Well, I got news!

I'd love to see one come along that includes 80. [I know a doc should be involved in any elder's exercise program, but it would be nice to see a standard] Actually, seeing a cut off at all is a negative message of a sort.

Sort of Related...

in a recent newsletter from International Sports Sciences Assn (with whom I certified) it said that only 15% of adults in America are "regularly" active, and 25% are sedentary!!!! No wonder our health care costs are so astronomical.

RE: Sort of Related...

Most people don't want to invest the effort it takes to get fit, whether it be to adjust their eating or to exercise. I used to work with a woman who was in her early 50's, was over 100 lbs. overweight, and had tons of weight related health problems. She lived with her problems simply because she like to eat junk food all day and refused to exercise. She had been to a dietitian once and lost weight, but decided she didn't like to eat right. She didn't like me AT ALL, because I was a constant reminder of what you could accomplish with good habits.

She will no doubt die young because she will not change her habits. It's a matter of choice, to a large extent. Don't we all wish we could get lower rates on insurance, or a rebate for being in good shape? I'm the only one at work who does not take sick days, but I don't get rewarded in any way!

Donna,
I have ran many a race with kids alot older than 60. In fact, a few years ago, I ran a 5K with a 96 year old man who looked amazing. You keep right on exercising!

Donna,
I have ran many a race with kids alot older than 60. In fact, a few years ago, I ran a 5K with a 96 year old man who looked amazing. You keep right on exercising!

SharonNYC, you said a mouthfull! I agree with you 100%. I, for one, cannot wait to retire in four years. My first order of business is to go for a run every single morning and do the weights in the afternoon. I live in the country, so running is an adventure!

Donna, I will be thrilled to retire in 3 years and...

...have time to bicycle around Prospect Park every day with the hubster. And do more yoga, actually get a barbell. Well, reading all those books on my pending shelf would be nice too. It's going to be great. I promise!

Why?

My mom will be 70 in a few months and does step 3 times a week at the Y, immediately after her swim which is over a mile. She swims every day, and is on a Masters' team and holds several records. She also lifts weights once or twice a week. She shows no sign of slowing down. I will be 49 in 6 months and I am following in her footsteps. She looks great! She's been at this fitness thing her entire life, I remember her doing her exercises when I was a kid in the 50's.
Barbara P

RE: Why?

WOW, Barbara! I'm really impressed & motivated by your mother's story. Thanks for sharing it! How did she get so ahead of her time?

Ruth

RE: Why?

That's exactly how I want to be at that age!!!! Exercise is the fountain of youth. JUST DO IT!!!!!!!

Yes, pre-Fonda

et. all--HOW did she get that idea--when it was so foreign in the 50's? I'll be 50, too, in December and attribute fitness to everthing good I've got going ..BUT, it wasn't fashionable --even in the 60's--except for Fonda and the dance thing--can't remember the name.(Not disco.)

RE: Yes, pre-Fonda

She probably watched Jack LaLanne! I also remember in the early sixties there was the "Royal Canadian Air Force" exercise program which was in a book.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.